English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 25 July 2001, 23:18   #1
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Smile Arkanoid - the REAL version :-)

Yeah, again a nice little request from me. ARKANOID. But wait: am I crazy? Requesting a game that can be found EVERYWHERE in the Internet? Well .... read on ...

I can say I now have really ALL of these versions from ALL sites I know. And all are the same:

- taken from a random compilation disk

- the version on disk is _always_ the same version containing this text

...STAR FRONTIERS IN 1987!

If I'm wrong, _prove_ me wrong. But I haven't seen _any_ other version than that.

Now I wanna know if there's a NTSC version out there which is NOT PAL-fixed and maybe *may* work on emulators even. (Remember WinUAE is capable of NTSC.) The version was PAL-fixed by the cracking group and thus could contain weird code that's not handled correctly by the emulator.
I'm looking for the one and only ONE-DISK version with no other shit crammed on the disk.
Does that exist?
Old 26 July 2001, 20:45   #2
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

You came to the right place because I have two working versions of this game for your cool-ection!

First up will be the Star Frontier crack! Yes, even for you PAL guys. This is a fixed version from the Krypt BBS, who in the early to mid 90's were fixing all sorts of games to work on the A1200. Usually one-parted crap with terrible decrunchers and the like. Anyways, so this is the one for Arkanoid. It is an lha file, so I am just gonna zip it up so that the ADF Zone will accept it. Then just go to your Workbench or shell or Opus (or whatever), un-lha it to ram or hard drive and launch the executable!

The other version I am going to post is Arkanoid v1.05, which is the updated U.S. (NTSC) version from Discovery that contains the additional 33 levels. This disk version was cracked by Eagle Soft and contains the original notice that Star Frontiers hex-edited out.

Have fun!
Old 26 July 2001, 20:51   #3
andreas
Zone Friend

Happy

WOW - thanks a bunch! (or how the Brits say: Thanks a ton!. well I'm no native speaker, but I believe that no US citizen would ever say "Thanks a ton" in his life <grin> )

Last edited by andreas; 27 April 2003 at 09:59.
Old 28 July 2001, 19:46   #4
andreas
Zone Friend

Thumbs up Bingo!

TWISTIN', I'LL BE DAMNED!
Version 1.05 NTSC works perfectly with WinUAE (needs a special config, though). I knew I was right that that those obscure "PAL Fixes" broke the game for compatibility with emulators! :hoo
The first time I can see the lettered sprites moving down!
Great - thanks so much!

Here's the config for everybody to try himself/herself...

Removed attachment

Last edited by andreas; 27 April 2003 at 10:00.
Old 28 July 2001, 21:29   #5
morph72

Arkanoid 1.05 NTSC

Woohoo! You're right andreas, first time one can actually see the enemy sprites & the 'goodies'. Though the sprite grafx are slightly corrupt (I get a thin line at the top of every sprite).

What version of WinUAE did you use? I only got it to work with WinUAE 0.8.8.

Old 28 July 2001, 21:35   #6
andreas
Zone Friend

Same.
It's a common fact that with ALL 0.8.14* releases, NTSC is BROKEN. This is confirmed by James as well. 0.8.16 works again, but what can you do better than use 0.8.8 if a game is compatible with it?
Old 28 July 2001, 22:25   #7
morph72

Hehe. Well, whenever a new WinUAE comes out, the first question I ask is not "What's fixed in this version?" but rather "What the hell have they broken this time?"...

Talking about Arkanoid NTSC again, is it just me or are your sprites not 100% correct either?

Old 01 November 2001, 21:18   #8
andreas
Zone Friend

Found a 100% *PAL* version of Arkanoid!

WOW, that's fantastic!!

I just discovered another treasure in a private collection:
a version cracked and PAL-fixed by BLIZZARD, working on WinUAE 0.8.8 R8 without being forced to perform any breakneck actions in configuring the emulator(s)!
Sprites work, gimmicks work, everything just works!
So you see: again it's not the emulator's fault, it's the non-ability of some wannabe 'crackers' to properly PAL-fix a game!

This is a true rarity, deserving this predicate without compromises. Get it before it gets you! :bounce
Finally the odyssey has ended successfully!

HINT: you can also type 'arkanoid' at the prompt instead of 'blizzard .1.'!

Last edited by andreas; 01 November 2001 at 22:16.
Old 01 November 2001, 22:46   #9
DPainter

Twistin', I think I have the same ESI version you have (cracked by the Butcher?). Funny thing is, I actually owned Arkanoid, but when I ran DISK2FDI a while back, I discovered I had copied the cracked version over my original. File dates are from 9/1989. We're getting old.

Dpainter
Old 01 November 2001, 23:10   #10
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Ah, a delightful thread to read again after all this time (last night, I enjoyed revisiting "Cody's MIA Listing" thread). If it's any concession, I have an original Arkanoid that I can image one day. I say one day because my room here is in transitional phase at the moment so that I have my systems all up and running, plus my A500's which should be coming in the next month or so.

Anyhow, once I complete this room here in the next week or two, I *should* be in a position to be able to start imaging originals (among other things) - I remember reading about some util here recently that will properly image originals for writing back to disk (and having the game work). I'm a bit confused right now, at least until I have my functional lab up and running, but maybe we can find some way to restore your original.
Old 01 November 2001, 23:21   #11
turk182

hmm , I dont understand missing sprites & bonuses ? .I have the star frontiers version on a compdisk I created god know when. Maybe I messed around with the code myself way back when and it works fine everything appears on winuea .8.17r2...
Old 25 April 2003, 23:51   #12
DPainter

This thread reminded me of how way back when there was a flood of Arkanoid clones released on the Amiga. Is there a thread on EAB about this already?
Old 26 April 2003, 01:31   #13
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by DPainter
This thread reminded me of how way back when there was a flood of Arkanoid clones released on the Amiga. Is there a thread on EAB about this already?
This maybe the closest to that kind of thread:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...light=arkanoid
Old 26 April 2003, 08:00   #14
haynor666
retro maniac

What about WHDLoad version. Both are installed from oryginal versions and work perfect.