English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 01 October 2018, 08:45   #1
xboxown

I am playing Ambermoon on my A500

Hey guys,

I am playing Ambermoon in my A500 and I love it. I am right now dealing with the orcs in the caves and fairies however there is something in my mind and I want to ask it. The version I am using is 1.07 English is there any bugs I need to worry about? Ok. Mostly my biggest fear is the bug where I never leave the island and take the boat/ship to leave the island...is that bug resolved with this version or do I need any patch to fix this? If I installed the patch to fix this version do I need to restart the game from the beginning or I can resume where I am so far?

If I can resume where I am now and I do need the patch, where can I get the patch to download it?

If you guys did provide me the link and I downloaded the patch how do I apply the patch into ambermoon when it is a whdload game format?

Thanks!
Old 01 October 2018, 08:59   #2
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Some texts parts are buggy, and there is at least 2 parts where you will miss a chunck of the story.

In the cave about the huge spider, and the mom of a dwarf.
Old 01 October 2018, 14:07   #3
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

There are quite a few bugs in the original v1.07 disks (that I shared in 1998) but the game can be completed without any patches.

Several bugs were patched by several different people but as of today the most complete patch is by Meynaf

http://meynaf.free.fr/pr/index_en.html

It does not contain fixes for all known bugs but it is the most complete patch in a single archive available today and does get rid of most of the worst scripting bugs.

Quote:
how do I apply the patch into ambermoon when it is a whdload game format?
It says here :

http://www.whdload.de/games/Ambermoon.html

Just copy the files from Meynaf's archive over the ones in the install directory

Last edited by alexh; 09 June 2020 at 15:35.
Old 01 October 2018, 14:52   #4
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
There are quite a few bugs in the original v1.07 disks (that I shared in 1998) but the game can be completed without any patches.

Several bugs were patched by several different people but as of today the most complete patch is by Meynaf

http://meynaf.free.fr/pr/index_en.html

It does not contain fixes for all known bugs but it is the most complete patch in a single archive available today and does get rid of most of the worst scripting bugs.

It says here :

http://www.whdload.de/games/Ambermoon.html

Just copy the files from Maynef's archive over the ones in the install directory
the 2 bugs i was talking about make you unable to understand the story and the whereabouts.

For instance, since the text doesn't appear for the huge spider, you're not warned, and once you do, you're dead, because you're not supposed to meet her at the beginning of the game, but a bit later.

About the dwarf mother, you can't understand what happen since a big chunk of text is not displayed.

Since this game is mostly about the story, that's quite annoying. those bugs are not fixed in the english release, nor the german release.
Old 02 October 2018, 08:38   #5
xboxown

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
the 2 bugs i was talking about make you unable to understand the story and the whereabouts.

For instance, since the text doesn't appear for the huge spider, you're not warned, and once you do, you're dead, because you're not supposed to meet her at the beginning of the game, but a bit later.

About the dwarf mother, you can't understand what happen since a big chunk of text is not displayed.

Since this game is mostly about the story, that's quite annoying. those bugs are not fixed in the english release, nor the german release.
Is that an Amiga bug or that bug also exist in the PC version?
Old 02 October 2018, 09:23   #6
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

there is no PC version of ambermoon. It's bugs inside the data files.
Old 02 October 2018, 18:58   #7
xboxown

Quote:
there is no PC version of ambermoon. It's bugs inside the data files.
Is that impossible to fix?
Old 03 October 2018, 00:44   #8
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxown View Post
Is that impossible to fix?
It's possible, but i did it only for the french version, not the english one.
Old 03 October 2018, 02:16   #9
xboxown

Quote:
It's possible, but i did it only for the french version, not the english one.
Can you please fix it for the English version please. I am still at the beginning of the game!! Please!
Old 06 October 2018, 16:26   #10
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

As always dlfrsilver is exaggerating. As the first person to play and finish the English version of Ambermoon I can tell you that you can easily understand and finish the game without the fix.

Yes the bugs are there dlfrsilver has mentioned them before months if not years ago and yes they are fixable (that said he never provided the exact file / string affected).
Old 06 October 2018, 17:14   #11
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
That text does appear, but it's buggy. I remember fixing that one.
Anyway, i could kill Gigantula by a single blow with a fireball spell cast from the firebrand sword

Quote:
I think all dwarf mother texts are fixed in my version, though i don't remember them being buggy.
Old 06 October 2018, 18:04   #12
xboxown

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
That text does appear, but it's buggy. I remember fixing that one.
Anyway, i could kill Gigantula by a single blow with a fireball spell cast from the firebrand sword

I think all dwarf mother texts are fixed in my version, though i don't remember them being buggy.
Hey meynaf...may I have one request please? I beg you. Can you do some modifications in the text please for me (a version for me)? If it is not possible that is ok..but I am hoping you will agree.
Old 06 October 2018, 18:09   #13
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Hey meynaf...may I have one request please? I beg you. Can you do some modifications in the text please for me (a version for me)? If it is not possible that is ok..but I am hoping you will agree.
My patch has always been available here : http://meynaf.free.fr/pr/amberpatch.lzx
It's for ambermoon 1.07. Just replace files in the game dir.
Old 06 October 2018, 18:58   #14
xboxown

No. I mean...can you change one word in the game from God to Lord? Is it possible? Please? If not can you show me how to hack the file to change the word from God to Lord? Please!
Old 06 October 2018, 19:05   #15
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
No. I mean...can you change one word in the game from God to Lord? Is it possible? Please? If not can you show me how to hack the file to change the word from God to Lord? Please!
Why the heck do you want to change a single word ?
Old 06 October 2018, 20:39   #16
xboxown

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Why the heck do you want to change a single word ?
For religious reasons. As there no such thing as God of Blood or any other false God mentioned in the game. So I want to change the word God to Lord. Is it possible? Is it something I can do in the game to modify it myself. Please do not debate religion with me....as this may end in a wrong road. I just wanted to know if it is possible, that is all. If it is and you refuse it then can you at least tell me how I can change it myself?

That is all I am asking. Thanks.
Old 06 October 2018, 20:48   #17
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
For religious reasons. As there no such thing as God of Blood or any other false God mentioned in the game. So I want to change the word God to Lord. Is it possible? Is it something I can do in the game to modify it myself. Please do not debate religion with me....as this may end in a wrong road. I just wanted to know if it is possible, that is all. If it is and you refuse it then can you at least tell me how I can change it myself?

That is all I am asking. Thanks.

Please no religion here on this EAB board, and keep it for yourself ! The game is as the authors wanted it to be, if they invented a god of blood, so be it !

@Alexh : of course i have precised which text files need to be fixed for both history bugs. But that's a long time ago, i posted it here in EAB, but no one implemented it in english.
Old 06 October 2018, 20:54   #18
xboxown

Quote:
Please no religion here on this EAB board, and keep it for yourself ! The game is as the authors wanted it to be, if they invented a god of blood, so be it !

@Alexh : of course i have precised which text files need to be fixed for both history bugs. But that's a long time ago, i posted it here in EAB, but no one implemented it in english.
That is why I am asking if he can at least show me how. I am doing it on my own person usage and naturally without doubt...risk. If I destroy it...I am to be blamed. :P I do not care what the author of the game wanted...if I can modify it on my own and keep it for myself...the author does not care. It is not like I am going to distribute it. How many games authors made and have been hacked for cheating purposes or tiles extracted without author's consent.
Old 07 October 2018, 17:31   #19
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
That is why I am asking if he can at least show me how. I am doing it on my own person usage and naturally without doubt...risk. If I destroy it...I am to be blamed. :P I do not care what the author of the game wanted...if I can modify it on my own and keep it for myself...the author does not care. It is not like I am going to distribute it. How many games authors made and have been hacked for cheating purposes or tiles extracted without author's consent.
You ask us basically to help you to deface the game just because it doesn't suit your religious beliefs or view.

EAB is a dedicated forum for Amiga machines, not a forum made for people that have a problem with games entities that are against their views.

We should even not have this kind of discussion.
Old 07 October 2018, 17:53   #20
xboxown

Quote:
You ask us basically to help you to deface the game just because it doesn't suit your religious beliefs or view.

EAB is a dedicated forum for Amiga machines, not a forum made for people that have a problem with games entities that are against their views.

We should even not have this kind of discussion.
Deface the game? Woof. That is a big word. I may as well keep it in my notepad to be used later.

A) The game cannot be defaced because the original game is untouched. That is a copy I am using. I can hack it to show big boobs if I wanted too :P The original is untouched.

B) You are so aggressive you make it sound like I posted pictures of mutilated children and women and cheering for it and dancing with torches around.

C) It is not like I am asking for something that will be put me in prison. If you have problem with it, then please kindly keep it to yourself. I simply asked a request and a simple no would suffice. I do not think this hostility should be given to a person who simply requested nicely to something and have not posted hate speech or attacked anyone. If you have issues with my request you clearly have stated it, please kindly stop heading further down the road. I am been civil here. Let me see if you can master that art.

One view that you posted however that I am 100% agreeing with. We should stop discussing this further. If you want this to stop...be strong enough and not reply a single word after this towards me or what I have posted right here. Simply not replying anything will make me disappear and go away like a dust blown by the wind. I am hoping you will not reply....

Last edited by xboxown; 07 October 2018 at 18:10.