English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

Old 01 April 2002, 02:57   #1
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Amiga PoV

More than a year ago, a handful of us set out to create a new Amiga online magazine in the style of the oldschool Amiga mags. More in the style of Amiga Power than, say, Amiga Fun. We were already equipped with a handful of great writers (including my fav, APFelon) and armed with some excellent new things that were original, informative, funny and very much Amiga. These elements are lacking in the current range of newschool Amiga mags (are there even any left?)

I have the Quark Xpress tools and skills to create this mag in the proper manner like the real mags were/are done, which can then be exported to PDF format for essentially an end result similar to the new PDF issue of ZZap (which was brilliant, IMHO). Seeing this latest ZZap issue re-invigorated me, since we were on that path before ever being aware of their version (they just beat us to the street!)

The hurdle that kept us from seeing the final product through was the lack of a graphic artist. This project is still lying dormant in its unfinished state. And it will likely stay there if an artist (or group of artists) doesn't come forward. Anyone who can contribute cover art, professional illustrations, logos, etc. could take this vanity project from the dungeon and have it served up piping hot for perseverity. Any takers? Or any suggestions?

What would be ideal would be to debut the premiere issue at the launch of HOL. A far better goal than oblivion...
Old 01 April 2002, 03:02   #2
Djay
95th User

i may not be able to help out with graphics, but if you need anything else (reviews etc..) give me shout
Old 01 April 2002, 22:39   #3
RetroMan

I was doing grafix since I got my first A500 wayyyyy back Just tell me what you need and I´ll give it a try, if you like it : take it, if not ...... find something else
Old 02 April 2002, 00:21   #4
Djay
95th User

DPainter has proved his worth
Old 02 April 2002, 00:24   #5
RetroMan

@Djay

I know he´s good, but who says I don´t Anyway, if he wants to make it, it´s ok for me, I just wanted to help out here
Old 02 April 2002, 01:29   #6
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Oh, but I am not looking for a single man for the job! Just as we have a ready staff of writers on call, I would like to have many contributors. Maybe what I should do is to post here a list of some of the graphics I need and whomever is inclined to wanna take a shake at it can email submit the images? That way, if one is better at sketch art, they might not be up for the task of Frey-style cover art. And of course if any of you artists have any ideas, pass them this way!
Old 02 April 2002, 15:21   #7
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Alright, I just thought of one of the things needed for Amiga PoV but had almost forgotten about. Both Cody and Walker were mucking with this (and getting great results!) but there just didn't seem to be enough time, what with the database project eating away at so much of it - game maps. Several of the Amiga mags featured these, like in Amiga Action's Giving The Game Away (GTGA) section. Of course, these maps were popular in old Speccy and C-64 mags, but those were usually hand-drawn. Since we have emulators today and the Print Screen key, much nicer maps can be created.

Between the two of them, maps were started (and pretty faralong) for Chubby Gristle, Targhan and level 1 of Rick Dangerous. Is there anyone out there good enough to beat games that can build game maps from screen captures? As long as it's OK with Cody & Walker, I can upload their examples to give a better idea.
Old 02 April 2002, 15:44   #8
Walker

That's perfectly fine with me. I'll be busy (until the end of time....) grabbing screenshots for the HOL database.
Old 02 April 2002, 21:11   #9
Djay
95th User

Quote:
I know he´s good, but who says I don´t Anyway, if he wants to make it, it´s ok for me, I just wanted to help out here
no disrespect intended m8

i'd like to see your work!!!
Old 02 April 2002, 21:14   #10
Djay
95th User

how are a feature on an Amiga fan's website, like one of the many Turrican sites and what are they up to now feature an interesting look at where famous demo sceners or games makers are now, maybe even an interview etc....
Old 02 April 2002, 21:46   #11
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Yeah, all of that stuff is planned, plus some other goodies that I won't disclose (there has to be SOMETHING to surprise y'all with!) I can only say that it will be fab, truly fab!
Old 02 April 2002, 22:21   #12
Walker

Apart from the HOL database and the APoV magazine, Twistin has some other projects running. Just check this examples from his famous ToDo list:

- Famous Amiga Games, Gfx Or Tunes (FAGGOT)
- Da Real Underground Gaming Society (DRUGS)
- Last Amiga Memories Encyclopedia (LAME)

This is, obviously, just a snapshot. There's more goodies in that 4,8 MB textfile (zipped, of course).

The world is waiting.
Old 02 April 2002, 22:40   #13
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Walker
This is, obviously, just a snapshot. There's more goodies in that 4,8 MB textfile (zipped, of course).
it's 4.8 terabytes unzipped, btw...

Walker, your sense of humour is smashing!
Old 03 April 2002, 00:34   #14
Miggy2TheMax

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost

it's 4.8 terabytes unzipped, btw...

Walker, your sense of humour is smashing!

I second that, excellent sence of humor, keep it coming
Old 03 April 2002, 01:07   #15
Andrew

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew
I'd be willing to help in any way possible.

btw, where is this pdf issue of zzap on the net? i would love to have a look at it. Thanks
Old 03 April 2002, 02:18   #16
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
I'd be willing to help in any way possible.

btw, where is this pdf issue of zzap on the net? i would love to have a look at it. Thanks
Thanks Andrew (and everyone else). As for the new PDF issue of ZZap, I can't find it anywhere. I have it at home, as well as the link to it, but I have turned up nothing but dead ends from here. I was sure the link was posted here to EAB, but either I suck at searching or it's been deleted (arrgghh!).

So I tried Google for a bit and gave up when there was no link for that page from any of the major ZZap sites or even Lemon's page. Either I'm in too big of a hurry to spot it, or it has been widely ignored, but there was low and high quality versions of the mag for download. Anybody else remember this or am I just Twilight Zone'ing out here?
Old 03 April 2002, 05:44   #17
Miggy2TheMax

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost

Thanks Andrew (and everyone else). As for the new PDF issue of ZZap, I can't find it anywhere. I have it at home, as well as the link to it, but I have turned up nothing but dead ends from here. I was sure the link was posted here to EAB, but either I suck at searching or it's been deleted (arrgghh!).

So I tried Google for a bit and gave up when there was no link for that page from any of the major ZZap sites or even Lemon's page. Either I'm in too big of a hurry to spot it, or it has been widely ignored, but there was low and high quality versions of the mag for download. Anybody else remember this or am I just Twilight Zone'ing out here?
I think this is the thread which has the link you are talking about twist:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ghlight=Zzap64

funky looking mag. Are there any amiga mags that have been converted to pdfs anywhere on the web ? I know you were talking about doing that to Amiga Power twist, but it would require a big effort.
Old 03 April 2002, 06:39   #18
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Thanks for finding that for me, dude. Having a shitty day at work and just can't make things click; needed help.

Now that you mention it, I guess no Amiga mag (that I am aware of) has been PDF'd yet. Maybe I can whip something up Thursday night, but I may have to go for a smaller one (maybe some crappy US mag that most of you have never seen before, like Amiga+ or something). Since my TODO list in so massive and all, let's file this one under...

ITS A PITY
(I'll Try Scanning And PDFing It This Year...)

For you, Walker!
Old 03 April 2002, 08:43   #19
Walker

THIS year? Yeah, right! And then you start a Micro$oft fanclub, or create a Quake tribute site.....?