English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 03 September 2017, 06:34   #1
hyperlogos

Thumbs up I bought the cheapest six button mega drive controller on eBay

Actually, the cheapest one with six buttons. And then I modded it for the Amiga. Not really much of a job there but if anyone is wondering if it works... yep. Desoldered the leads going to pins 5 and 7 which were conveniently right next to one another, then slapped the 470 ohm resistor through the holes and soldered the leads back in reverse order... to the legs of the resistor. Bob's your uncle. Haven't tested 6 button mode yet since I haven't got my accelerator yet and can't reasonably run doom, but it's ordered.

Here is the current listing... got to love the name. Even more hilarious, the box and controller both have Sega logos on them, but I'm relatively sure that Sega never made a controller called the "FIGHTING PUTT 6B" with the tagline "Pure Sega with 6 botton controller".

It's actually a pretty decent cheap controller, but I wouldn't abuse it too badly

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fashionable-...72.m2749.l2649

I don't suppose there is a joytest that uses the six button driver? I managed to extract the sources for that from the adoomppc sources if anyone is interested, they are pretty tiny.
Old 03 September 2017, 17:38   #2
Amiga1992

Does adoom do that? I didn't think there was a single Amiga software that dealt with the multiplexing of these units. Is that what the modification you did is for?.
Old 03 September 2017, 19:28   #3
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperlogos View Post
It's actually a pretty decent cheap controller, but I wouldn't abuse it too badly
I refute this. It's probably the worst joypad you'll ever hold in your hands, after which you will need to wash them.

I must have bought twenty such pads, only to slaughter them for the cable.
Old 03 September 2017, 20:30   #4
hyperlogos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Does adoom do that? I didn't think there was a single Amiga software that dealt with the multiplexing of these units. Is that what the modification you did is for?.
Supposedly it does. Soon as my aca1221ec gets here, I'll let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
I refute this. It's probably the worst joypad you'll ever hold in your hands, after which you will need to wash them.
Oh no, I already have some worse PSX-shaped USB controllers around here someplace for the PC. Frankly though, much of the Amiga community's judgement on gamepads is suspect, because so many people like the master system controllers which have IMO literally the second-worst D-Pad ever used on a proper commercial system. The third-worst is on the Saturn 3D control pad (I've got two of those here, with my Saturn.) So what's worse? Intellivision. That disc was awful. The best is NES, of course. Hmm, I wonder if I could hack a Colecovision controller to be useful

Quote:
I must have bought twenty such pads, only to slaughter them for the cable.
I might do that to get a cable for a NES pad. I have two vintage Atari sticks in good condition here too, but of course I'm not mutilating those.
Old 04 September 2017, 01:56   #5
idrougge

I've found that the white version (which costs a lot more) is a much better replica of the Sega original, made with better plastic, longer cable and more responsive buttons.
Old 04 September 2017, 02:29   #6
grelbfarlk

Ok now quick while we're talking about the six button Genesis controller, someone rewrite lowlevel.library to support the extra buttons in apps that would work with the extra CD32 buttons, GO-GO.
Old 04 September 2017, 03:30   #7
hyperlogos

http://aminet.net/package/driver/input/NewLowLevel is supposed to do that, right? But it doesn't seem to work properly with this controller. The normal d-pad and two-button function of the controller works fine with a normal joytest, but it works poorly with newlowlevel's prefs tool which shows detected input.
Old 04 September 2017, 03:37   #8
grelbfarlk

Quote:
http://aminet.net/package/driver/input/NewLowLevel is supposed to do that, right? But it doesn't seem to work properly with this controller. The normal d-pad and two-button function of the controller works fine with a normal joytest, but it works poorly with newlowlevel's prefs tool which shows detected input.
No that file is just to use PC-Style Gameports like you would find on a Soundblaster PCI card. But nice find though, I'd try this out but since it uses OpenPCI library it probably won't work with my Mediator.
Old 04 September 2017, 03:58   #9
hyperlogos

Well, it does more than that, it also has some kind of support for the internal Amiga game ports, probably with CD32 support. Lorence Lombardo told me that I would be able to use it with a mega drive pad with his joy2key (or joy2key2) software, but there's no evidence that this is true. The documentation says nothing about it. Perhaps it also supports PC-style joysticks with extra buttons plugged into the amiga joystick port with an adapter.

My controller works correctly as far as I can tell, I finally discovered ControllerTest.lha which has support for three button mega drive pads, and my d-pad, ABC and start buttons all work fine. As well as this el cheapo pad ever worked, anyway. It also works as a 2-button controller in joytest.

I have attached the sega pad reading code for convenience, if anyone would like to do anything clever with it. What I'd really like most would be to be able to map the buttons (and d-pad!) to keystrokes, which is why I was looking at joy2key to begin with...

edit: no, looks like Lorence just didn't understand the question. That was a fun waste of time.
Attached Files
File Type: zip amiga_sega.zip (1.7 KB, 148 views)

Last edited by hyperlogos; 04 September 2017 at 23:44.
Old 04 September 2017, 04:35   #10
hyperlogos

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
I've found that the white version (which costs a lot more) is a much better replica of the Sega original, made with better plastic, longer cable and more responsive buttons.
I can't seem to find this controller. Is it six-button?
Old 04 September 2017, 11:58   #11
kgc210

I have two of those controllers for my "Tower of Power" setup, I actually quite like the pads, find them just the right size for me to hold easily.

They are worth buying for the Box art alone! They are not even consistent at naming the buttons, some are BUTTON and others BOTTON.

You know they are genuine as they are:

SEQAENTERPRISES LTD
MADE IN JAPAN

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0045.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	54455   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0046.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	54456   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0048.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	54457  

Last edited by kgc210; 04 September 2017 at 12:05.
Old 04 September 2017, 13:07   #12
hyperlogos

Ooh fancy, you got an embossed logo on the bottom. Mine is smooth there, and just has the painted logo on the top. I wrote amiga on the bottom of mine to remind me not to plug it into a mega drive.
Old 04 September 2017, 21:51   #13
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Ok now quick while we're talking about the six button Genesis controller, someone rewrite lowlevel.library to support the extra buttons in apps that would work with the extra CD32 buttons, GO-GO.
This is a interesting idea......
Old 05 September 2017, 00:14   #14
Sinphaltimus

I purchased a very similar one. The quality isn't that great nor the responsiveness. Only good thing is I got it to mod for a TI-99/4a.

I basically removed the chip and soldered all the connections needed.

So my question for hyperlogos is this:

Did your controller have a chip in it and you left it in place?

For reference - http://atariage.com/forums/topic/266...d#entry3815408
Old 05 September 2017, 02:03   #15
hyperlogos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
So my question for hyperlogos is this:

Did your controller have a chip in it and you left it in place?

For reference - http://atariage.com/forums/topic/266...d#entry3815408
Yes, as per the adoom docs all I did was swap pins 5 and 7 (IIRC) and put a 470 ohm resistor between them. So far I have been able to test that it works in three buttons (plus start) mode. When my aca gets here I will have enough ram to start up doom, and I'll be able to test six button mode.

I didn't say it was that great, I said it was pretty good (for two bucks)
Old 05 September 2017, 13:27   #16
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Yes, as per the adoom docs all I did was swap pins 5 and 7 (IIRC) and put a 470 ohm resistor between them. So far I have been able to test that it works in three buttons (plus start) mode. When my aca gets here I will have enough ram to start up doom, and I'll be able to test six button mode.

I didn't say it was that great, I said it was pretty good (for two bucks)
Yeah, Not bad for the price at all. And if you're happy with it, then who can say otherwise? I may do an Amiga gamepad mod as well. Thanks for your input and starting this topic.
Old 05 September 2017, 18:28   #17
Amiga1992

Quote:
Yes, as per the adoom docs all I did was swap pins 5 and 7 (IIRC) and put a 470 ohm resistor between them. So far I have been able to test that it works in three buttons (plus start) mode.
Personally I would make a converter (by buying two DB9 connectors and some cable) so I don't ruin the controller and also so I can apply it to any controller that I get.

BUt thanks for testing this, looking forward to know if 6 buttons work. I guess if you have the multiplexing for 3 buttons and start running, 6 would too (the other 3 buttons are multiplexed with the direction buttons).
Old 05 September 2017, 19:28   #18
hyperlogos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Personally I would make a converter (by buying two DB9 connectors and some cable) so I don't ruin the controller and also so I can apply it to any controller that I get.
I thought about that, but it wouldn't save me any money and I didn't have any six button MD controllers handy, only three button. I figured at worst this way I got a cable

I also got rid of my MD stuff already, most of it anyway. I think I am paring back to just my Ami and Saturn, maybe a slim PS2. Everything else must go