English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 21 December 2007, 22:13   #1
Pyromania

The Top Ten Technology Nostalgia

Lemmings is #7, Commodore 64 is number #4. Amiga should have been on the list as well I think. It was mentioned in the Lemmings info at least.

http://digg.com/hardware/The_Top_Ten...logy_Nostalgia
Old 21 December 2007, 22:44   #2
PaulyQ

Hmm... Missed out Game and Watch, Atari VCS & Pong - 3 of the most innovative pieces of hardware ever developed in my eyes
Old 22 December 2007, 03:07   #3
paranoid
Phone Zen

Nice mention of Lemmings and the C64, but not a very good list in general. Who here actually fondly remembers huge computers from the 60s and 70s? (I remember them; and not fondly..) Dot matrix printers? That's a joke.. And those handheld games sucked and were so repetitive even when they were cutting edge portable gaming.
Old 22 December 2007, 07:23   #4
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
Lemmings is #7, Commodore 64 is number #4. Amiga should have been on the list as well I think. It was mentioned in the Lemmings info at least.

http://digg.com/hardware/The_Top_Ten...logy_Nostalgia
No.
Amiga, as you know, was nothing in the USA and Japan, and if it ain't big in these 2 places, it really can't make the list.
Old 22 December 2007, 07:38   #5
Pyromania

Not big in the USA? Two words "Video Toaster'.
Old 22 December 2007, 10:36   #6
Graham Humphrey

Yes, but it wasn't big to the general public was it?
Old 22 December 2007, 10:46   #7
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Yes, but it wasn't big to the general public was it?
Fuck no.
The C 64 is beloved and well known here, very much so.
But when the Amiga and Atari ST came around, and started to make some gains, the Macs and IBMs pulled ahead, with the IBM becoming mega ubiquitous, of course. It's a shame , because I think the Amiga was far superior to any of these platforms in the mid to late 80's and very early 90's.

Pyro: Video Toaster is big in video production circles? In the general public, this was unknown. But as for the context of this nostalgia blog entry, I am correct.
These programs/machines were famous or ubiquitous, and the general public knew them. I don't agree with Lemmings being on the list, It's not that famous, really.
Old 22 December 2007, 13:24   #8
aldo

But everyone knew about Lemmings, even people who werent into computers in the early nineties knew of this game.
Old 22 December 2007, 19:07   #9
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I talked to some US guys in the mid 90s, they never heard about an Amiga computer. They played their games on a NES/SMS and later on the SNES/Genesis.

btw: The computer mouse is missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldo View Post
But everyone knew about Lemmings, even people who werent into computers in the early nineties knew of this game.
Really? I could ask some friends or my parents. They never heard about Lemmings.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 22 December 2007 at 19:24.
Old 23 December 2007, 06:27   #10
paranoid
Phone Zen

I'm from the US and I remember being asked what computer was best by non-computer people. I'd answer if you want to do work at home, PC. Something incredibly simple and just, say, word processing, Mac (also, desktop publishing, Mac). Music, maybe the ST. But for the best computer, graphics (and games) Amiga. I think, by the more general public, they saw the Amiga (if they bothered to really look) as just games and, in the US, games were more for consoles.

But, I think the Amiga did have a real place in computing circles and wasn't just a little niche thing. Where I'm from, rather medium to small city but not a small town, we had a few Amiga BBSs, no ST BBSs, none for Mac, and a few PC. (One was a huge, popular BBS that didn't cater to any particular computer and ran on a Coco, another general, and big, BBS was Unix -- this probably an anomaly, as the guy wrote a BBS program for Unix) For those calling BBSs, the Amiga was just as popular, if not more so, and I'm talking more or less straight BBSs, not pirate-only, of which there was, maybe, one (he tried, but was never, ah, "elite" by any standard).

Anyway, while the Amiga was never like it was in Europe, it wasn't just disregarded in the US and only used by a few. Also, folks were going from 8 to 16 bit, most likely. It wasn't like everyone has at least email, like now, and computers are about as common as as any appliance. If you got a computer then, it wasn't for mp3s and email, it was because you were into computing of some sort. (Like, if you polled a bunch of US high school kids, these days, TONS will have a computer, then, very few, or just had an old Apple they never used anymore in general..)
Old 23 December 2007, 07:28   #11
Pyromania

I agree paranoid.
Old 23 December 2007, 11:12   #12
Dizzy
Pirate

Stupid list, but then again all list of these kind are stupid. This is the work of 1 man and his thoughts, and another man will come up with another list

Lemmings sux, why not tetris it's a more used concept

Guess my list would look something like

01 Pong
02 Amiga 500
03 Game & watch
04 Playstation (I would love to say Dreamcast, but psx made console be something for everyone)
05 Laserdisc
06 BBS/modem
07 Floppy
08 NES
09 electronic watchs with calculator and games on
10 mandelbrot (damn did we spend hours looking at that shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd
btw: The computer mouse is missing
No the list is only about thinks not used anymore, my first thought was CD is missing, but we still use CD so you couldn't call this nostalgic
Old 23 December 2007, 12:38   #13
Marcuz

interesting...

mine would be:

01 Pong
02 View-Master stereopticals images
03 Bandai Pair Match (it used unsurpassed fluorescent lamp technology for display. unsurpassed in my view of course). also portable games.
04 Amiga 500
05 mandelbrot
06 LCD portable OLD tvs
07 red and blue glasses for 3D images
08 notebooks from the fifties (the ones with the reddish border and black hardcover)... never found them anymore: moleskines just go so far...
09 film photography
10 Basic
Old 23 December 2007, 16:10   #14
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
No the list is only about thinks not used anymore, my first thought was CD is missing, but we still use CD so you couldn't call this nostalgic
Upps, you're right. Then, BTX. My brother used it in the early 90s for online banking, pretty cool for this time.