English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 30 March 2015, 21:32   #61
zerohour1974

One thing I have never understood is wanting to connect the Amiga to the Internet. Sure if you have the NextGen machines yes I can see the point but the originals no.

Personally I am with the large majority here who would like to see either a development / games environment that was much slicker. Also the inclusion of a better set of tools to partition, repair disks.

I would also like to see a file manager that does not require a million buttons or a desktop replacement. Directory Opus is a pain.

Obviously a nice collective of original games.
Old 31 March 2015, 10:20   #62
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
a modern port of OpenSSH is all i would want.
The idea to use the Amiga (with its wonderful clicky-clacky keyboard) to remotely administer infinitely more powerful computers is strangely enticing

SSH has got the huge advantage that it's not that resource-intensive so it could be a truly doable project.

+1 for this!
Old 31 March 2015, 10:53   #63
Leandro Jardim

A commodity like copper-demon, but this time able to generate effects like in Turrican II and James Pond II (with that cool animated "watermarks"). If doing so, then add the ability to set individual colors for each scanline and draw color gradients starting from a line to other, please.

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 01 April 2015 at 05:44.
Old 31 March 2015, 14:06   #64
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerohour1974 View Post
One thing I have never understood is wanting to connect the Amiga to the Internet. Sure if you have the NextGen machines yes I can see the point but the originals no.
It's good to be able to download Amiga software directly onto the Amiga instead of having to download it on a PC and then transfer it over.
Old 31 March 2015, 14:45   #65
daxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerohour1974 View Post
I would also like to see a file manager that does not require a million buttons or a desktop replacement. Directory Opus is a pain.
There are several file manager out there. The most are configurable to your needs. If you don`t want buttons, disable them. If you don`t want a desktop replacement, just don`t start it as one. What you need to is to study the tools.
Old 31 March 2015, 15:41   #66
Hewitson

AmigaDOS allows you to easily do whatever you need to do with your files. File managers make it more difficult and time consuming.
Old 31 March 2015, 16:50   #67
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWay View Post
One more: I'd like to see a versioning filesystem.
SFS has it in a way; check out the hidden ".recycled" directory in the root of your drive. As primitive as it may seem, I wish I had something like that on my Mac or PC.
Old 31 March 2015, 20:18   #68
Locutus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
The idea to use the Amiga (with its wonderful clicky-clacky keyboard) to remotely administer infinitely more powerful computers is strangely enticing

SSH has got the huge advantage that it's not that resource-intensive so it could be a truly doable project.

+1 for this!
I have some 3 weeks of vacation this summer with no plans yet, i think this actually might be a doable vacation project.

However that also opens the rabbit hole of wanting a better terminal emulator then KingCON for use with SSH...and there we go.
Old 01 April 2015, 15:21   #69
wXR

+1 good SSH client and terminal prog
Old 01 April 2015, 19:08   #70
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
I have some 3 weeks of vacation this summer with no plans yet, i think this actually might be a doable vacation project.

However that also opens the rabbit hole of wanting a better terminal emulator then KingCON for use with SSH...and there we go.
Just make your ssh client emulate serial.device and use one of the existing terminal programs. :-)
Old 02 April 2015, 00:42   #71
blizz1220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Since no one else has said it, I'm going to. A decent web browser that doesnt require RTG or absolutely ridiculous amounts of memory.
Netsurf68k v3.3 AGA I think.Uses little memory (you can get by with 32 Mb and still use google and most amiga designed sites , that is on NS v3.1 RTG which is the only one i was able to make run properly) and FFPlay (no need for much if any work there , already plays movies ok) to go with it but only if new FPGA solutions prove to be 2 x faster than 060 cards and 5 x cheaper.

Apart from that those ST conversion are really really good stuff
Old 05 April 2015, 17:07   #72
Amiga1992

What I need on Amiga is:

- As said before, a nice and proper cross assembler solution. I use ACME on the C64 and love it. It's simple and works well. A PC-based "gamemaker" style solution wouldn't be bad either. To be honest, I can't stomach the thought of producing any software in the Amiga itself, I rather use my PC.

- Protracker 1.x/2.x branch finally working with MIDI. Code is in there but it doesn't work. Someone has to fix it (I tried and failed)

- More modern audio tools aimed at real musicians and live performance (working on it )

- Some nice VJing software, an updated/evolved MNU³ would be great to have.
Old 27 April 2015, 11:32   #73
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

a kind of wine for the workbench to launch mac 68000 titles, i think about wine... but anything that could launch 68000 mac games from the wb should be cool. Something more easy that an emulator, which os installation, something more click and play. Is it only possible ????
ps: by the way galahad did you choose what you will do ??? will you say us what's your choice or will you wait that you have something to show ???
Old 29 April 2015, 20:34   #74
nogginthenog
Amigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post

+1 for this!
I gotta ask - what's wrong with telnet? It works well with putty and correct Miami (etc) configuration. Or are you planning to ssh into your Amiga over the internet :-)
Old 29 April 2015, 23:27   #75
gulliver
BoingBagged

My list of needed software:

-A centralized preferences program where you can access each setting, and not a million icons in prefs like nowadays. Just like MorphOS or Pos (ProDad) do it.

-An icon editor that properly handles all Amiga icon formats (including PNG & OS4)

-A bugfixed new build of ScalOS

-A reverse engineered driver development kit for Picasso96 made publicly available.

-Some sort of Partition Magic for Amiga (That woul be indeed better than the aging HDToolBox)
Old 30 April 2015, 01:24   #76
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
I gotta ask - what's wrong with telnet? It works well with putty and correct Miami (etc) configuration. Or are you planning to ssh into your Amiga over the internet :-)
Oh, I do not want to connect INTO the Amiga, but FROM the Amiga!

I want to use the Amiga as a terminal to connect to other, way newer, things (like servers)... but I need a properly updated SSH client for that
Old 30 April 2015, 03:19   #77
amiman99

How about port of Tftpd32?

http://tftpd32.jounin.net/

Simple TFTP GUI based file transfer program.
Old 30 April 2015, 10:15   #78
Twiggy
\m/

Instead of SSH-ing directly, I Just have my Amiga with a null modem connection to a Linux box with getty and ncomm. From there I can SSH other machines if I like (using tmux too).
Old 30 April 2015, 11:48   #79
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Instead of SSH-ing directly, I Just have my Amiga with a null modem connection to a Linux box with getty and ncomm. From there I can SSH other machines if I like (using tmux too).
But that requires another machine to be around, which kinda defeats the purpose
Old 30 April 2015, 20:08   #80
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
So, theres a few people making games, utilities, converting ST games, WHDLoad is constantly improving.

But what software do people actually want to see, whether or not that means updating software or something the Amiga simply doesn't have but would be useful TODAY and would be used.

Ideas?
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=76969
Or in other words - there is no good picture converter supporting "dynamic" color changes - compared to ST Amiga can use Copper and CPU so results should be superior, with modern color quantization algorithms this should push Amiga to very high quality conversion IMHO.

Good CDXL (maybe with extensions such as DXT compression, YCgCo as both provide data compression and can be efficiently implemented (decoder) even with moderate CPU's, dynamic color changes etc).