English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 02 December 2011, 14:53   #21
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by protek View Post
I left the A600 on for about an hour today. I did a warm boot and found out that the right button is working again. I did a cold boot also and it still worked. Can we now conclude that the Paula is ok? Is it either a capacitor or its joint or some other joint that's causing this? I'm going to test it again in the evening, when it has cooled down.

Get a plastic stick like object and tap around the board. See if you can get it to go again.
Old 02 December 2011, 15:56   #22
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
I left the A600 on for about an hour today. I did a warm boot and found out that the right button is working again. I did a cold boot also and it still worked. Can we now conclude that the Paula is ok? Is it either a capacitor or its joint or some other joint that's causing this? I'm going to test it again in the evening, when it has cooled down.
Use cold spray to confirm it.
Old 02 December 2011, 22:11   #23
protek
Amiga hobbyist

I think I found it.

If I tap Paula once, the context menu becomes visible. If I tap it another time, the context menu disappears. If I tap it again...

Is it just a bad contact in one of Paula's pins or has it developed a new kind of user interface?
Old 03 December 2011, 00:01   #24
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
I think I found it.

If I tap Paula once, the context menu becomes visible. If I tap it another time, the context menu disappears. If I tap it again...

Is it just a bad contact in one of Paula's pins or has it developed a new kind of user interface?
lol, doubt you will be tapping the IC, for right mouse button.
Resolder paula, has to be a dry joint on paula.
Old 03 December 2011, 07:43   #25
protek
Amiga hobbyist

Can it be done with a fine tipped iron or should I get it re-flowed?
Old 03 December 2011, 12:30   #26
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Can it be done with a fine tipped iron or should I get it re-flowed?
Yes, Iron is fine.
Get some flux and put it on the pins. It will make the solder stick to only the legs.
Old 04 December 2011, 10:15   #27
protek
Amiga hobbyist

I soldered all the legs of Paula this morning. Based on the initial test - good as new!
I'm going to put it together and see how it'll behave.

Thanks, FOL and others for all the help with this issue!
Old 05 December 2011, 20:32   #28
protek
Amiga hobbyist

My joy was a bit premature. I put the A600 back together and gave it a try. Not working. I redid all the Paula's joints but no joy. I left the Amiga on for a while to see if it would start to work but something else happened. The picture went from WB to plain light gery screen. I tried rebooting but got only white screen. Another go and green screen. Yet another and blue screen. I was left in a situation, where I would get either white or green screen at bootup. I suppose I suppose the Paula and the Chip RAM kicked the bucket. I think I need to take a timeout to consider my options.
Old 05 December 2011, 22:45   #29
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
My joy was a bit premature. I put the A600 back together and gave it a try. Not working. I redid all the Paula's joints but no joy. I left the Amiga on for a while to see if it would start to work but something else happened. The picture went from WB to plain light gery screen. I tried rebooting but got only white screen. Another go and green screen. Yet another and blue screen. I was left in a situation, where I would get either white or green screen at bootup. I suppose I suppose the Paula and the Chip RAM kicked the bucket. I think I need to take a timeout to consider my options.
If you have a ram expansion, remove it and try turning it on.
Also is the floppy screwed in properly? cause the screw comes close the chip ram ic.
Old 06 December 2011, 08:09   #30
protek
Amiga hobbyist

I removed the floppy for now. Did get it to boot to WB this morning, mouse button not working of course, for about 10-20 seconds, before the screen went gray again. And then with re-boot white screen...

I'm going to get a replacement Paula and have it soldered with proper SMD tools.
Old 06 December 2011, 10:48   #31
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
I removed the floppy for now. Did get it to boot to WB this morning, mouse button not working of course, for about 10-20 seconds, before the screen went gray again. And then with re-boot white screen...

I'm going to get a replacement Paula and have it soldered with proper SMD tools.
Wait, try connecting it via another means, like composite lead or rf.
I had an A1200, that worked fine, then suddenly stopped working (white screen). Turned out it all of a sudden didnt like my RGB scart lead.

With my new TV, it works for about 3 secs, then gives blank screen.

I dont think paula would cause this, as I have booted without paula even in the machine and its always booted.
Old 06 December 2011, 22:05   #32
protek
Amiga hobbyist

I actually had picture via the composite, when it happened so I tried with RGB. WB has stayed on a lot longer than it did in the morning, meaning no grey screen yet. Also seems to work with composite again. The right mouse button still doesn't work and it doesn't seem to react to my tapping either.

EDIT: When I checked on the A600 after 20 minutes, the screen had gone dark on both composite and RGB. Screen flashed with right mouse button and the Paula felt hot to touch.

Last edited by protek; 06 December 2011 at 22:35.
Old 06 December 2011, 22:46   #33
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Deffo, have problems.
I would look at the caps first. Maybe they have damaged track.
Old 02 June 2012, 17:24   #34
protek
Amiga hobbyist

An update after a long pause.

The Paula has been changed to rule that out. I also resoldered my Kickstart socket. Don't know if that did the trick but now the A600 boots and stays on rock solid.

The right mouse button isn't still working but I've isolated the problem a bit. If I lift the corner of the motherboard, where the mouse ports are, about a half centimeter, the right mouse button starts to work. If i lay the mobo back on the table the RMB may or may not stop working. I resoldered the mouse port contacts to isolate that out and I do get good connections at all points between the pin 9 of mouse port and pin 35 of Paula.

All of this would suggest that there is a fracture either in some track or some connection on the top side of the motherboard. Contrary to my initial thought it is not at the corner where the ports are but somewhere in the middle of the board where the actual bending occurs, when the corner is lifted. Any ideas, what I should look for?
Old 02 June 2012, 18:43   #35
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
An update after a long pause.

The Paula has been changed to rule that out. I also resoldered my Kickstart socket. Don't know if that did the trick but now the A600 boots and stays on rock solid.

The right mouse button isn't still working but I've isolated the problem a bit. If I lift the corner of the motherboard, where the mouse ports are, about a half centimeter, the right mouse button starts to work. If i lay the mobo back on the table the RMB may or may not stop working. I resoldered the mouse port contacts to isolate that out and I do get good connections at all points between the pin 9 of mouse port and pin 35 of Paula.

All of this would suggest that there is a fracture either in some track or some connection on the top side of the motherboard. Contrary to my initial thought it is not at the corner where the ports are but somewhere in the middle of the board where the actual bending occurs, when the corner is lifted. Any ideas, what I should look for?
Did you resolder the caps and resistors associated with the ports?
Old 02 June 2012, 19:03   #36
rampartsagain

have you cleaned before solder with isopropilic alcohol some solder fluxes are conductive
Old 02 June 2012, 19:26   #37
protek
Amiga hobbyist

@FOL: Haven't resoldered those tiny caps and resistors yet. Will do that later in the evening.

@ramparsagain: Yes, I've cleaned with IPA, if I've removed something even though I use no clean flux.

@thread: The mobo has also gone through a complete capacitor overhaul. I mean those electrolytic capacitors that can leak.
Old 02 June 2012, 23:15   #38
protek
Amiga hobbyist

I resoldered the capacitor and resistor at E353 and the capacitor at C312. No effect.

Another thing. If i lift the mobo corner and release it, the RMB menu may appear and stay even though I'm not pressing the mouse button. I need to lift it again to make it go away.

Last edited by protek; 02 June 2012 at 23:28.
Old 03 June 2012, 14:57   #39
rampartsagain

protek that means some component need resoldering since amiga chips are all non socket
i think it is a good issue retouch the solder on the chips,what kind of solder and flux are you using?
Old 03 June 2012, 15:26   #40
protek
Amiga hobbyist

I use leaded, pretty thin solder and no clean flux. I've already retouched the few caps and resistors between pin 9 of the mouse port and pin 35 of Paula.

Should I just retouch most of the top side components or what? I only have a small magnifying class. Is there any connections ahead from Paula I should look into?