English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 18 September 2002, 18:13   #1
LaundroMat

TOSEC, ClrMamePro &c.

I've been trying to put some order in my collection of different roms, adf's and so on, so I naturally came upon the tosec and clrMamePro pages. I've installed the packages, got a recent .dat file for some platforms, but what next?
ClrMamePro scans the directories I told it to scan, it said there were no files there that were interesting (other wording, but you know what I mean), then did scan all the rom files only to finish by saying all of the roms were missing.

*cough*

Could anyone point me to a total newbie tutorial on this subject? I just don't get it.

(alright, I'm stupid)
Old 18 September 2002, 20:42   #2
LaundroMat

Old 18 September 2002, 21:31   #3
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

No, stay with clrmamepro. Maybe the files you pointed it to are archived using rar or something besides zip? Or maybe they are not in the TOSEC dats. There is nothing wrong with clrmamepro that causes this behavior, so using Romcenter will not make files be recognized if they aren't in clrmamepro. Just so you know...
Old 18 September 2002, 21:40   #4
Ian
Global Moderator

Use the rebuild option of CLR, this will zip all your files and rename them for you (Sounds like all your ADF's are unzipped to me)

Anyway, Romcenter is complete bollocks and shouldn't be used by any self-respecting rom hoarder (ie Emu User)
Old 18 September 2002, 21:50   #5
LaundroMat

Hmm. RomCenter did find all of my GBA roms immediately (I'll let it loose on my Amiga collection in a second), and with two clicks they were renamed to TOSEC standards too.. Allow me to stick with romcenter (the userfriendlier of the two anyway).
Old 18 September 2002, 22:08   #6
oldpx

What's wrong with romcenter? It sometimes recognizes directories as zip files and messes up nested directories within them but if you know this bug, it's quite an useful tool.

Eh, I already said what is wrong with it anyway.

Old 18 September 2002, 22:13   #7
LaundroMat

Now that I've come to terms with rom classifying, another question: are there tosec dat files that combine all of eg Amiga games in one big dat file?

*hurries off to check if you can't just past them together*
Old 18 September 2002, 22:33   #8
Jim

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Anyway, Romcenter is complete bollocks and shouldn't be used by any self-respecting rom hoarder (ie Emu User)
Sorry Ian - I disagree !

As you know, I have a mass of most TOSECs.

The only tools are use are Romcenter & Good*** for the Good series.

The reason I used RomCenter is cause I DL'd all 3 (ClrMamePro, RomDoctor & RomCenter) and RomDoctor was the one I could use after 2 mins.

I get on fine and used RC to sort all my TOSECs.

I prefer to unzip them all before I first sort as many lazy people leave shit adf filenames within the zipfiles, and some zips you DL are corrupt.

For this I use a simple DOS command called ZIPONE, which zips up single files into a individual zip.

I get on fine with it, and cannot see any reason to change.

If you can tell me one thing that I need to do that I cannot with these tools then I'm all ears and would be happy to reevaluate.

Old 19 September 2002, 00:08   #9
Ian
Global Moderator

For a start CLR renames files in zips anyway (Plus the rebuild option gives a pretty good compression ratio when zipping your uncompressed ADF's), plus when it scans you have the option for a complete Zip file integrity check, removing the need for any DOS tool

And the best things are never the easiest option, take sometime, learn to use CLR and you will reap the benefits I can guarantee you.

However if you are too lazy then stick with Romcenter as it makes little difference to me what you use

Jmmijo was converted, are you next??
Old 19 September 2002, 01:26   #10
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim
The reason I used RomCenter is cause I DL'd all 3 (ClrMamePro, RomDoctor & RomCenter) and RomDoctor was the one I could use after 2 mins.

If you can tell me one thing that I need to do that I cannot with these tools then I'm all ears and would be happy to reevaluate.
To begin with, Ian is right. Being able to use something in 2 minutes usually does not mean that product is better. In fact, it usually indicates there's less going on there, which is not a good thing if you are seeking a more functional tool. I tried all three programs out at the same time and found that the other two were incapable of doing the job the way I wanted it. The zip part is a big bonus and as Ian pointed out, the compression is more efficient.

But as for the easy-to-use part, clrmamepro is not hard to use just because a different one you picked up faster. Look at Photoshop. You could draw a pic in Microsoft Paint 2 minutes after loading it, as well. But who in their right mind would choose it over Photoshop (or PSP...fill in *any* paint program here!)
Old 19 September 2002, 15:35   #11
Fissuras
Old Luny

I do use ClrMame. Inside Zip renaming is awesome! Zip integrity too. I never use any other tool, unless there is no CM dat available.
Old 19 September 2002, 16:45   #12
jmmijo

Yes I too use CLR, as Ian pointed out, I'm a convert.

Yes I even know how the CLR datfiles are created and what the pointers mean and do now. I helped Roman debug one of his GoodXXX sets, Atari Lynx, hence the update

The only thing he has to do now is to figure out the two CRC32 sets, mainly a few GoodXXX sets and then he'll have a very complete Renamer
Old 20 September 2002, 00:22   #13
Jim

Big grin

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim

Sorry Ian - I disagree !

As you know, I have a mass of most TOSECs.

The only tools are use are Romcenter & Good*** for the Good series.

I get on fine and used RC to sort all my TOSECs.

I prefer to unzip them all before I first sort as many lazy people leave shit adf filenames within the zipfiles, and some zips you DL are corrupt.

For this I use a simple DOS command called ZIPONE, which zips up single files into a individual zip.

OK OK OK !

I eat humble pie !

ClrMAMEPro is the Dog's Bollox !

Yep, I won't be using RomCenter again. ClrMAMEPro appears to be much quicker too. And this fixing Zip thing is cool. It found 24 errors in my Amiga apps set which it fixed. OK - the errors were only wrong case on some filenames, but I like eveything to be perfect.

Cheers Ian, you were right, I was wrong.

There's no much point using RomCenter even if you're new - better to get stuck straight into ClrMAMEPro. Don't let the MAME name put you off, it handles anything you can throw at RomCenter + shitloads more.

Ian PM'd me with a usueful URL for the ClrMAMEPro basics - I was scared of damaging my ROM's.

Here's the link if anyone interested: http://www.mameworld.net/easyemu/clrmameguide.hth

Old 20 September 2002, 00:24   #14
Ian
Global Moderator

Great, another convert

Who's next
Old 20 September 2002, 00:27   #15
Jim

Quote:
Originally posted by Burseg
What's wrong with romcenter? It sometimes recognizes directories as zip files and messes up nested directories within them but if you know this bug, it's quite an useful tool.

Eh, I already said what is wrong with it anyway.
Burseg, COME ON !

I want to convert my first user !

Ditch RomCenter....go ClrMAMEPro.

Copy a small romset and try it out, if you're worried about screwing things up.

PM me if you need help with the basics.

P.S. It seems to me with full ZIP checking/fixing, scanning & fixing a set is quicker than just scanning a set in RomCenter that is unzipped !

It's like real quick.

OK - I kid you if I say you blink and it scan's, but I'd say it's 3 times quicker than RomCenter. Plus this updates more to let you see what it is doing rather than RC which appears to fall asleep.

Old 20 September 2002, 00:38   #16
oldpx

Ok, I promise I will give it a try with ROMZ i'm going to download from your ftp

Old 20 September 2002, 05:36   #17
jmmijo

Yes Burseg, it's da bomb. so give it a try
Old 20 September 2002, 10:31   #18
[idoru]

Plus ClrMamePro also comes with handy things like...

- a fix set dat maker (makes a dat containing only the files you miss from a given collection which you can then send to someone & they can easily sort out what you miss to send you (if you're lucky ) - v. useful with multi-file zip sets like arcade/pinball stuff.

- it's own basic dat maker tool (inc. MD5 checksums)

- and more

But the crowning glory of ClrMamePro is....it's not called RomCenter and it behaves itself
Old 20 September 2002, 13:52   #19
LaundroMat

Sigh. I'll have a look...

That link Jim provided doesn't work by the way. Is this the one?
Old 20 September 2002, 15:17   #20
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by LaundroMat
Sigh. I'll have a look...

That link Jim provided doesn't work by the way. Is this the one?
That be the one for sure