English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 September 2002, 16:46   #21
blackcornflake

Well, looks like I was incorrect on a couple of points. What this says to me, a pretty typical Amiga owner with net access, is that Amiga Inc and all their partners really need to sort out their release of information. The picture is pretty confusing.

I hope they start co-ordinating better and advertising about real products with definite specs. No grey areas. I mean, if I have lost track of exactly what the score is, what chance has Joe (Amiga? Wassat?) Public?

@Burseg: You're not the only one.
Old 08 September 2002, 17:58   #22
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

What have I been saying? A half ass company doomed for death in 2 years, and its a shame a great OS is in their sloppy hands. At least they did 3.9 justice.
Old 08 September 2002, 18:58   #23
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim
With that card thingy I can still run old games though can't I ?
Err.. which card are you talking about, the SharkPPC? Teh answer is YES, if released.

If you eman the A1 interface card, remember, it will never be made.
Old 09 September 2002, 16:42   #24
IanS

I'm gonna get the crap kicked out of me for this... but here goes.

If you want a new computer that runs modern apps at a reasonable speed... buy an A1, or a PC, or an Apple Mac. They will trounce even the most powerful 'real' Amiga when it comes to raw computational power.

If you want to play old Amiga games and apps... use your existing Amiga if you have one, or buy an Amiga 1200/4000 second hand. Or even see above and buy an emulator for it (it works to some degree at least).

If the A1 were to have an A1200 board attached (which it won't anyway), it's still TWO seperate computers. If the A1 had the old custom chipset built on to the motherboard, probably using 68k emulation... it's not a 'real' Amiga, so you wouldn't be happy! If it had a 68k chip AND custom chips on the motherboard, running exactly as real Amiga hardware does... you might as well have bought an A1200/4000 anyway. At least they are expandable, where the A1 version wouldn't be.

Why doesn't somebody resurrect the Siamese system? It had the makings of an excellent project. I couldn't get the serial version working, and at the time I hadn't got a PCMCIA network card for the miggy. But surely that provides a partial solution to the problem of adding a classic Amiga to the A1?

Ok... just to prove I have a sense of humour, I'm going to bash myself!

and again...

Happy now?
Old 09 September 2002, 17:49   #25
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally posted by IanS
I'm gonna get the crap kicked out of me for this... but here goes.

If you want a new computer that runs modern apps at a reasonable speed... buy an A1, or a PC, or an Apple Mac. They will trounce even the most powerful 'real' Amiga when it comes to raw computational power.

If you want to play old Amiga games and apps... use your existing Amiga if you have one, or buy an Amiga 1200/4000 second hand. Or even see above and buy an emulator for it (it works to some degree at least).

If the A1 were to have an A1200 board attached (which it won't anyway), it's still TWO seperate computers. If the A1 had the old custom chipset built on to the motherboard, probably using 68k emulation... it's not a 'real' Amiga, so you wouldn't be happy! If it had a 68k chip AND custom chips on the motherboard, running exactly as real Amiga hardware does... you might as well have bought an A1200/4000 anyway. At least they are expandable, where the A1 version wouldn't be.

Why doesn't somebody resurrect the Siamese system? It had the makings of an excellent project. I couldn't get the serial version working, and at the time I hadn't got a PCMCIA network card for the miggy. But surely that provides a partial solution to the problem of adding a classic Amiga to the A1?

Ok... just to prove I have a sense of humour, I'm going to bash myself!

and again...

Happy now?
You can contact the author of the Siamese system @ http://www.idruna.com/
Old 09 September 2002, 18:05   #26
Amiga1992

@IanS

Have you TRIED participating in other discussions on this board?
Old 09 September 2002, 19:01   #27
backtoskooldaze

Hooooo Hi IanS

:hoo Hi IanS i really agree with you m8 it's nice to hear someone else who looks upto the amigaone instead of down!

I said earlier if you want to play classic amiag games then buy an A1200 and you can upgrade this computer for todays standard and even to run OS4.0 by looking at elbox.com' site

So either way you are gonna get all the thrills and spills of a new amiga
Old 10 September 2002, 10:03   #28
IanS

Thanks Backtoskool... I was beggining to think everybody was against me. I think Akira is pretty much ready to shove his Uzi 9mm to my head and make some ventilation holes!

Hey Akira... you mean there are OTHER discussions on the board. Well I never... all this time and nobody even told me. I'll make an extra special effort to annoy them too!
Old 10 September 2002, 18:30   #29
Amiga1992

Old 11 September 2002, 04:31   #30
Oscar Castillo

Send a message via AIM to Oscar Castillo
Emailed Eyetech on availability, and basically they told me "a few weeks or so". I'll wait and see, and if it is true I'll get one to try it out.
One upside of the PPC platform is that if Suse Linux or Yellow Dog Linux runs on it, I can practically develop apps simultaneously apps for both Mac OS X and Amiga OS4. I only hope developer documentation is decent enough for OS 4.
Old 11 September 2002, 04:54   #31
Amiga1992

Get a Pegasos Oscar...
Old 11 September 2002, 09:29   #32
IanS

Akira, just a small thought... if people buy the Pegasos and not the A1, Amiga will go bust, and then no more official Amiga H/W, and maybe even no more development of OS4. Certainly no G4 version with Firewire. Assuming that any of the three actually appear that is. Not that I have anything against Pegasos in particular. I'd like them BOTH to succeed if possible, but I doubt that the market is big enough for both of them. Presumably if they both appear at a similar time, people will only buy one or the other.:eek
Old 11 September 2002, 09:31   #33
oldpx

Quote:
Akira, just a small thought... if people buy the Pegasos and not the A1, Amiga will go bust, and then no more official Amiga H/W, and maybe even no more development of OS4.
Is it that bad? If bplan can offer a better solution then they deserve to survive, not Amiga just because they've got the name. Maybe bplan can buy the name Amiga then

Old 11 September 2002, 09:42   #34
Amiga1992

I dont give a fuck.
There is already NO NEW AMIGA HARDWARE. I insist, the A1 is not an Amiga IMO.

And OS4 is done by Haage & Partner or whomever, so I presume development could still be continued...

Screw Amiga Inc.. Let it die already.
Old 11 September 2002, 15:58   #35
Oscar Castillo

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Get a Pegasos Oscar...
I like the Pegasos because of the Firewire etc..., but how good is MorphOS?
I haven't read any significant reviews or articles on it. Even if it were on developer releases. Which OS has more to offer? I'd basically need a development environment and documentation to get going.
And does anyone know if OS4 or MorphOS support OpenGL? Or perhaps some other proprietary graphics API?
Old 11 September 2002, 17:22   #36
Amiga1992

Dunno about OpenGL, but it seems MorphOS has an AmigaOS emulation layer, so you can run a lot of software like MediapointRTG.

As a side note, somebody must start adding Firewire support in programs like MediapointRTG!
Old 11 September 2002, 17:57   #37
blackcornflake

Quote:
Originally posted by Oscar Castillo
And does anyone know if OS4 or MorphOS support OpenGL? Or perhaps some other proprietary graphics API?
I know that AmigaOS has MiniGL, courtesy of the Frieden bros.

I believe that OS4 will contain 'Ami2D' and 'Ami3D', brand new Amiga-flavour extensions to Tao Group gfx APIs. But I could be wrong...
Old 11 September 2002, 23:33   #38
Oscar Castillo

Quote:
Originally posted by blackcornflake

I know that AmigaOS has MiniGL, courtesy of the Frieden bros.

I believe that OS4 will contain 'Ami2D' and 'Ami3D', brand new Amiga-flavour extensions to Tao Group gfx APIs. But I could be wrong...
It'll be crucial for the Amiga to get the documentation out to developers for those APIs so we can see how many companies and individuals take to them.