English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 24 May 2018, 22:45   #1
turrican9

Installed PFS3 AIO file system on my 1200 CF Card. Am I okay?

So I have just formatted my 8GB CF card using PFS3 AIO filesystem. Made 3 Partitions. In WinUAE they showed up as OK but when I put it in my Amiga 1200, DH1 and DH2 shows as '* S'. They seem to be working fine. Am I okay or should I worry about anything?

Edit: Using classic Workbench ADVSP. Have not installed the patch from myfiles/Largedrives folder for 128GB drives yet. Do I need them for these partitions anyway?

Last edited by turrican9; 24 May 2018 at 22:52.
Old 24 May 2018, 22:50   #2
thomas

Add this line as the very first line to check4gb.filesys (before PFS 0.0):

Code:
PFS 19.0  TD64 NSD SCSI    PFS3AIO

(yes, you are ok, check4gb is outdated.)
Old 24 May 2018, 23:00   #3
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Add this line as the very first line to check4gb.filesys (before PFS 0.0):

Code:
PFS 19.0  TD64 NSD SCSI    PFS3AIO

(yes, you are ok, check4gb is outdated.)
Thanks for the answer. Do you think DH1 is so close to 4GB that I need to install the 128GB patch from Myfiles/Largedrive folders to be safe? Btw, I am running Classic Workbench ADVSP

Very confusing with this file system stuff. I used to run FFS and had no problems. But people warned me about that filesystem and recommended med to use PFS3 AIO instead. So I followed some youtube videos and stuff. Still very confusing and still don't feel safe that I do everything correctly.
Old 25 May 2018, 08:04   #4
thomas

8GB is just within the limits of the unpatched driver, so you don't need that patch.

BTW, you could change the controller in WinUAE from UAE to IDE, then you would get the same picture in WinUAE, too.
Old 25 May 2018, 17:48   #5
turrican9

Quote:
8GB is just within the limits of the unpatched driver, so you don't need that patch.

BTW, you could change the controller in WinUAE from UAE to IDE, then you would get the same picture in WinUAE, too.
Thanks for the answer Now I feel safe
Old 25 May 2018, 21:33   #6
turrican9

So while I was setting up PFS3 AIO on my 4GB ACA 500 CF card I noticed that the files seems to take more space with PFS3 AIO VS FFS? I made the new PFS3 AIO partitions almost the exact same size as when I was using FFS on the same drive. While copying the files from the FFS image with WinUAE I noticed the files seems to take up noticeable more space. Not crazy but enough that I had to re-arrange some games between the partitions.

Is this normal? Should PFS3 AIO cause the files to take a bit more space VS FFS?
Old 01 June 2018, 08:56   #7
thomas

I am quite sure that files take less space on a PFS partition than with FFS. But the partititon appears smaller than it was defined. If you look at the empty partition, you'll recognise that even though it says 0% used, it appears ca. 20% smaller than it was defined in HDToolbox.

That is because PFS reserves directory space in the beginning of the partition. The rest of the space is used solely for file data. For this reason files on PFS should take less space than on FFS because FFS also grows the directory info while with PFS only the file space grows and the directory space has been reserved already at format time.
Old 01 June 2018, 16:14   #8
turrican9

Quote:
I am quite sure that files take less space on a PFS partition than with FFS. But the partititon appears smaller than it was defined. If you look at the empty partition, you'll recognise that even though it says 0% used, it appears ca. 20% smaller than it was defined in HDToolbox.

That is because PFS reserves directory space in the beginning of the partition. The rest of the space is used solely for file data. For this reason files on PFS should take less space than on FFS because FFS also grows the directory info while with PFS only the file space grows and the directory space has been reserved already at format time.
I see. Thank you for the answer. So you get less space on PFS VS FFS because some of the partition is reserved for directory space. Well, that is no problem for me anyway