English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 06 August 2013, 00:26   #1
ceptimus

YANM (yet another new member)

Hi guys!

I've not done any Amiga stuff for years now, but back in the day, I did a few public domain games and utilities that made their way onto Fred Fish disks.

I was having a bit of a spring clean, found my old Amiga in the loft and decided to power it up. It's a 500+ with a Commodore 1084 monitor and a SupraDrive 30MB hard disk. I've got loads of extra hardware bits and pieces for it, but I've not tried those yet.

The Amiga and monitor worked fine, but the hard disk wouldn't spin up. I tried shaking it and when that didn't work, took off the cover and started it up by hand. Then the hard disk would mount and partly worked, but I kept getting read errors, so I think it's probably time to chuck the actual SCSI drive in the bin

So then I downloaded an emulator for the PC, fired that up, started looking on-line for the Fred Fish disks (my source code was on those too) and a compiler... which bought me here.

One game I did was a thing called Leap! which was a sort of copy of an old Spectrum game named 'Jumping Jack', and I did another thing named Puzz, which was a sliding-block puzzle game where you could also make your own puzzles.

I also made a smooth-scrolling video titling utility thing named sMovie, which a few people used with genlocks to add titles to videos - and there were some others - I forget now.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to looking back for a few days - nostalgia being as good as I remember it being, and all that.

Old 06 August 2013, 00:34   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi ceptimus, and welcome to EAB - the best place to revive your Amiga enthusiasm!

If your A500+ still had its on-board battery fitted when you stowed it away, now's the time to open the case and cut it away before it leaks and the motherboard begins to fail...
Old 06 August 2013, 01:02   #3
ceptimus

Thanks for the tip. I've just removed the battery now - it had started to grow a few crystal-like things over the board at the one end of the battery, but now I've chopped out the battery and brushed/hoovered the crystals away, the circuit board looks okay. I'll clean it a bit more thoroughly in the morning before I screw it back together.

What's the battery do? Just the real time clock I hope? I don't remember there being any BIOS settings that needed to be kept alive by a battery - like some PCs have.

Old 06 August 2013, 01:12   #4
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
What's the battery do? Just the real time clock I hope? I don't remember there being any BIOS settings that needed to be kept alive by a battery - like some PCs have.
Yep, it just keeps the RTC ticking away when the machine is switched off.
Old 06 August 2013, 10:31   #5
s2325
Zone Friend

Leap [ Show youtube player ]
Puzz http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/5...rabbitgame.png
Old 06 August 2013, 16:15   #6
Phantom
Adventurer

Welcome to EAB.
Old 06 August 2013, 16:30   #7
ceptimus

Thanks for the links. I've been trying to set up an Amiga compiler this morning and track down the source code... not there yet though.

Here's the Spectrum Jumping Jack game that Leap! was a copy of. [ Show youtube player ]

However, I don't remember my Spectrum playing music like that!

Old 06 August 2013, 16:38   #8
s2325
Zone Friend

On Amiga we have also Leapin' Larry [ Show youtube player ] but I don't like this disabled version of Mario.
Old 06 August 2013, 16:41   #9
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

Warm welcome to EAB, ceptimus!
Old 19 August 2013, 14:13   #10
s2325
Zone Friend

cheatcode for Amiga Leap from ceptimus:
Quote:
Now I found the source code, I can reveal the cheat that lets you get to the higher levels. Pause the game (P); hold the joystick to the left and hold down fire; while doing this, press the Help key on the keyboard. You should hear a 'boing' sound. Now unpause the game (P) and you have infinite lives. Do the same but with the joystick to the right and collision detection is switched off so you can run right through the baddies.