English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 10 May 2010, 07:48   #1
Paul_s

Happy What gadgets from the 80's are going to become Antiques?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...-antiques.html
Old 10 May 2010, 09:10   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

http://www.spodlady.com/ It's polish shop with gadgets from 80's
Old 10 May 2010, 09:11   #3
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

1st gen Walkmans. Quite sure about that
Old 10 May 2010, 09:15   #4
s2325
Zone Friend

They forgot about Sega Game 1000 console.
Old 10 May 2010, 09:28   #5
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Interesting article, IMO a load of bollocks but interesting. Only the Concorde memorabilia makes sense (to me) as an antique of the future.

For something to become an antique it has to be (and I hate using the term) "rare". Either very few have to be produced. Or they have to be very fragile or have some sort of self-destruct mechanism in them which means few survive. (i.e. glass, china etc.)

An Atari 2600 is never going to be an antique. Why? They made squillions of them. They are virtually indestructible and they are so simple they can be repaired by any enthusiast.

Sales of most collectable electronics do not even exceed their purchase price when you compensate for inflation.

Will mobile phones be antiques? Very unlikely. Except for the very 1st generation analog phones. Why? Because very few were produced. Anything GSM (or analog phones made after 1990) are very unlikely to ever be an antique.
Old 10 May 2010, 09:30   #6
seuden
uber cool demi god

All the items will be antiques if found in there original packaging and unused, unopened. Imo.
Old 10 May 2010, 09:32   #7
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Anyone remember those toy cars that flipped over once they reached a wall? Wish I would still have one of them unopened now
Old 10 May 2010, 09:48   #8
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
All the items will be antiques if found in there original packaging and unused, unopened. Imo.
I hear what you're saying. Don't you think you're passing out of the valuable antique classification by making an items value entirely based on its condition? I imagine that New condition will always demand higher prices for anything? Ok, perhaps not vintage wines

If something is to be classified as a "valuable antique" don't you think that the average example of such an item has to be considered valuable?

If a product was made in the millions, it is highly likely there will be 10's of thousands of slightly sub-standard examples for very low prices. Not sure you could classify something as a "valuable antique" if you can buy one unboxed for 50p at a car boot.

No? Interesting subject though. One man's rubbish is another man's gold 'n' all that.

Last edited by alexh; 10 May 2010 at 09:57.
Old 10 May 2010, 10:04   #9
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I hear what you're saying. Don't you think you're passing out of the valuable antique classification by making an items value entirely based on its condition? I imagine that New condition will always demand higher prices for anything? Ok, perhaps not vintage wines

If something is to be classified as a "valuable antique" don't you think that the average example of such an item has to be considered valuable?

If a product was made in the millions, it is highly likely there will be 10's of thousands of slightly sub-standard examples for very low prices. Not sure you could classify something as a "valuable antique" if you can buy one unboxed for 50p at a car boot.

No? Interesting subject though. One man's rubbish is another man's gold 'n' all that.
I think it's all down to one's interpretation of "antique" in exactly the same vein as the "one man's rubbish is another man's gold".

Wikipedia.org quotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
An item which is at least 50 to 100 years old and is collected or desirable due to rarity, condition, utility, or some other unique feature.
I know wiki is written by users and could also be the basis of opinion but this is also the opinion I share.
Old 10 May 2010, 10:08   #10
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Does anyone have an original boxed and un-assembled Sand Scorcher or Rough Rider Tamiya remote control buggy?

Made in the 80's these are very much future antiques!
A 30 year anniversary edition of the Sand Scorcher has been released by Tamiya and these will be collectable as well I think!

One of my other hobbies was to race these types of buggies - absolutely brilliant fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TSC.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	25263  
Old 10 May 2010, 11:10   #11
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Interesting article, IMO a load of bollocks but interesting. Only the Concorde memorabilia makes sense (to me) as an antique of the future.

For something to become an antique it has to be (and I hate using the term) "rare". Either very few have to be produced. Or they have to be very fragile or have some sort of self-destruct mechanism in them which means few survive. (i.e. glass, china etc.)

An Atari 2600 is never going to be an antique. Why? They made squillions of them. They are virtually indestructible and they are so simple they can be repaired by any enthusiast.

Sales of most collectable electronics do not even exceed their purchase price when you compensate for inflation.

Will mobile phones be antiques? Very unlikely. Except for the very 1st generation analog phones. Why? Because very few were produced. Anything GSM (or analog phones made after 1990) are very unlikely to ever be an antique.
lmao, it is the Sun newspaper afterall reporting this Like you say doubt the Atari 2600 or even Amiga gear will become antiques.... unless prototypes or significant historical value
Old 10 May 2010, 12:00   #12
demusse
Input Needed

things like this will become antiques imo
http://www.ambientedirect.com/en/bra...icy-salif.html
electronics ? i doubt it
Old 10 May 2010, 12:57   #13
-=SPY=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
1st gen Walkmans. Quite sure about that

I got one of those water proof yellow colored sony walkmans ...

was this shit in the day .... expensive ..

still works ...
Old 10 May 2010, 20:02   #14
SubM00nS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS-80_MC-10

Out of all the Tandy stuff, maybe this one as it was only made for 1 year. One of these was my very first computer. I couldn't have been more than 8 years old and I learned to program basic on it. I'm not sure if they will ever be worth much, but I'd sure love to have one again. I had a cassette drive for it too and a couple of tapes with some primitive games. I have no idea whatever happened to mine. I guess my parents must have sold it long ago.
Old 10 May 2010, 20:56   #15
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Yeah. Never seen that model. But it only retails at a fraction of it's original price when adjusting for inflation.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=120539056226

Last edited by alexh; 25 February 2014 at 09:33.
Old 10 May 2010, 23:27   #16
rare_j
Zone Friend

I expect low production run games may be collectible in future, or signed copies of firm favourites.
Much like old books are now.

I'd be surprised if hardware ever becomes more valuable than a 60 year old hair dryer is now.
Old 11 May 2010, 00:19   #17
Si-Pie

Actually some Atari 2600s are already quite valuable such as the Heavy Sixer woody but the standard 4 switch version is as common as muck. I think the Vader may also be valuable but not too sure.
Old 15 May 2010, 12:03   #18
Yesideez
(2b)||!(2b)

I just checked my Atari 2600 and it is the wooden version with 6 control switches - are these worth anything still? I don't have the joysticks any more because they got used on my Amiga

Last I checked it still worked which was about 2 years ago. I've only got the 2 paddles that came with it and 6 games (Defender, Space Invaders, Asteroids, Combat, Superman and Night Driver)
Old 16 May 2010, 01:00   #19
Si-Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesideez View Post
I just checked my Atari 2600 and it is the wooden version with 6 control switches - are these worth anything still? I don't have the joysticks any more because they got used on my Amiga

Last I checked it still worked which was about 2 years ago. I've only got the 2 paddles that came with it and 6 games (Defender, Space Invaders, Asteroids, Combat, Superman and Night Driver)

Ummm depends. Even though it has 6 switches doesnt mean its worth much. If it is the heavy sixer then yes it should be worth someting. you can usually tell by the plastic rims on each side of the machine. if its a thick plastic rim then it should be a heavy sixer but if the rims are thin then its the more common model.

Have a look at this video and it should help you identify it better ---
[ Show youtube player ]

Hope this helps.
Old 15 September 2010, 15:17   #20
s2325
Zone Friend

http://englishrussia.com/index.php/2...-floppy-drive/