English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.AmigaOS

Old 20 May 2022, 16:22   #1
Amiga600
amigaboing.net Blog

Is there a way of forcing fixed DF0: Games/Demos to load from HDF/HDD

Some Games and even Demos hard lock onto DF0: when loading, and while I have managed to convert some over via hex editing "DF0:" and replacing it with something I can assign to, some still physically lock to DF0: when loading

For those that hard lock to DF0: i presume they do this via trackdisk.device or something, is there a tool or method which I could maybe use so they will not force lock to DF0: thereby allowing me to include them on a HDF image instead (which loads faster than DF0: does)

I am aware of a tool called DEVREN which can rename the DF0: device to say XXX: and then you can create an assign for DF0: BLEH: and it will allow *some* Games/Demos to load perfectly, But this method does not work for all of them

For example Chaos Engine Demo, Road Rash Demo, Troddlers Demo to name 3, all hard lock to DF0: so I have not been able to add them into the Games Collection, and had to resort to using ADF files in Amiga Forever as well, which all take time to load up (especially Road Rash which takes ages) - Ideally I would like an easy way to convert this or fool the Amiga into not hard locking down to DF0:

I know WHDLoad exists of course, But as I do not have enough knowledge to build installs for it, I am at a loss, and I have even tried WB Installs with some Games/Demos and it crashes WHDLoad with an error, so even Generic Installs do not seem to solve the problem or issue

So ideally what I am looking for is something that will essentially bypass DF0: completely and create an assignable name (eg. Games which I could use

Maybe something what could Patch the DF0: check to an assignable location would be the best way of doing this, surely there is a way of patching this with a DOS/CLI command, eg. PatchDF0 GameFolder: - LoadGame

If anyone can help please let me know, Thankyou so much in advance

Last edited by Amiga600; 20 May 2022 at 16:59.
Old 21 May 2022, 18:12   #2
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga600 View Post
Some Games and even Demos hard lock onto DF0: when loading, and while I have managed to convert some over via hex editing "DF0:" and replacing it with something I can assign to, some still physically lock to DF0: when loading

There is no generally working solution. If games bang the hardware, you are out of luck.Games that don't use use the Os cannot be convinced by Os means to load from something else but the floppy.
Old 21 May 2022, 18:47   #3
jotd
This cat is no more

that's the whole point of whdload, which is not just a tool because it generally needs som e custom code adapted to each version of each game/demo.

You can't use whdload on a demo where the slave doesn't exist. Generic slaves just boot a virtual kick 1.3/3.1 so no dice with hardware banging floppy stuff.
Old 21 May 2022, 22:41   #4
Amiga600
amigaboing.net Blog

Thats a shame, Guess WHDLoad would be the only way, just wish there was a Guide on how to use WHDLoad, as Google does not really give you a Step by Step of Creating WHDLoad Installs, rather it points to existing ones already made
Old 21 May 2022, 23:09   #5
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Thats a shame, Guess WHDLoad would be the only way, just wish there was a Guide on how to use WHDLoad, as Google does not really give you a Step by Step of Creating WHDLoad Installs, rather it points to existing ones already made
You would be better off asking people if they will install the demos you want.

Unless you are adept with 68000 asm and the inner workings of how the Amiga works, creating an install is not for the novice.

Each game and demo essentially has to be cracked, I.e. you've intimately understood how its disk routines work, how any memory allocation routines might need to be adjusted, fixing blitter issues etc.

Why not list which demos you would like to see installed here?
Old 21 May 2022, 23:17   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
...as Google does not really give you a Step by Step of Creating WHDLoad Installs, rather it points to existing ones already made
Making them yourself might be a long-term option, but you can request WHDLoad installs here: https://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=22
Old 21 May 2022, 23:38   #7
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Well, you have to know amiga hardware, 68k assembly and how to debug a code you don't have the source to, sometimes remove a protection and all. You need to code something so whdload knows what to do. It's not at user level it's at developper level.

Not exactly something you can lookup like "how to change a tire" on google. Each creation of a whdload slave is an unique piece of code, and it can take from a couple of hours to several days work.
Old 22 May 2022, 01:37   #8
Amiga600
amigaboing.net Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Why not list which demos you would like to see installed here?
Well currently there are a few I am planning for "Commercial Game of the Month" for the Blog which I have found to be forced to DF0:

Already featured on Blog:
Working from HD: Jaguar XJ220 Demo / Locomotion Demo
Lock to DF0: Arabian Nights Demo / Chaos Engine Demo / Road Rash Demo

The following lock to DF0:
Hoi Demo / James Pond 2 Demo / Space Crusade Demo / Tearaway Thomas Demo / Theme Park XMas Demo

They are the ones I have so far, I am still looking for further Demos of Commercial Games so I can pretty much feature as many as I can (1 per month) as for instance some Commercial Demos have different levels than in the final game, for example Troddlers)

I can provide the files for the above if required, as they are normal standard Amiga disk files
Old 22 May 2022, 01:41   #9
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Well currently there are a few I am planning for "Commercial Game of the Month" for the Blog which I have found to be forced to DF0:

Already featured on Blog:
Working from HD: Jaguar XJ220 Demo / Locomotion Demo
Lock to DF0: Arabian Nights Demo / Chaos Engine Demo / Road Rash Demo

The following lock to DF0:
Hoi Demo / James Pond 2 Demo / Space Crusade Demo / Tearaway Thomas Demo / Theme Park XMas Demo

They are the ones I have so far, I am still looking for further Demos of Commercial Games so I can pretty much feature as many as I can (1 per month) as for instance some Commercial Demos have different levels than in the final game, for example Troddlers)

I can provide the files for the above if required, as they are normal standard Amiga disk files
Chuck all the demos you want supporting in the zone, plenty of able bodies that can get them working for you

EDIT: upload them as individual files not as a zipped collection, will encourage others to get involved, otherwise they might not bother if they assume someone has downloaded an entire zip file with them all in.

Last edited by Galahad/FLT; 22 May 2022 at 01:46.
Old 22 May 2022, 13:54   #10
Amiga600
amigaboing.net Blog

Uploaded them to the zone now, Thanks for your help everyone
Old 22 May 2022, 18:58   #11
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

James Pond 2 doesn't need any work.

Copy the file "ROBOPREVIEW" from the disk, if running from A1200 or faster, disable caches before running the file, and if using on AGA you need to disable FMODE before loading the file.