English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 20 January 2016, 14:17   #1
blakespot

Dramatic performance drop in latest OS X FS-UAE?

I just grabbed AmiKit and did the default install on my Mac (OS X). It uses E-UAE by default, and I couldn't get it to go fullscreen, though the emulated Amiga was lightning fast. The fullscreen issue lead me to FS-UAE which many were telling me was much better than E-UAE anyway. So I just installed the latest OS X FS-UAE and followed the instructions on the FS-UAE site for getting AmiKit installed under it.

It works, but it is super slow. SysInfo shows it the same speed as an A4000.

People on Amiga.org assumed I had some config items botched as it is normally faster than E-UAE. And then someone posted that they tried the latest FS-UAE and, indeed, it was super slow compared to earlier versions, for some reason.

Can someone assist me here?

See my Amiga.org (short) thread about this with a video of both configs within.

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=70244

Thanks.

bp

Old 20 January 2016, 20:18   #2
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Hi, in earlier versions of FS-UAE you could enable the JIT compiler with uae_cachesize = 8191.

In recent FS-UAE versions, you need to use the option jit_compiler = 1 to enable the JIT compiler. I'm guessing that you feel it is slow(er) because JIT is not enabled.
Old 20 January 2016, 23:05   #3
blakespot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
Hi, in earlier versions of FS-UAE you could enable the JIT compiler with uae_cachesize = 8191.

In recent FS-UAE versions, you need to use the option jit_compiler = 1 to enable the JIT compiler. I'm guessing that you feel it is slow(er) because JIT is not enabled.
Thanks. That did it.

Now SysInfo reports I am 114x the speed of the base A500 (while running under E-UAE it reported, I believe, 45x the speed).

bp

Old 21 January 2016, 01:54   #4
Acill
Tech Guru

Very cool! Have you talked to the Amikit team about using FS-UAE as the default system for OSX?

Also now my Amikit wont load past the loading screen after the last auto update though the built in updater so I am at a loss on how to get it going again.
Old 21 January 2016, 22:16   #5
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acill View Post
Very cool! Have you talked to the Amikit team about using FS-UAE as the default system for OSX?
No, I haven't had any contact with them (but perhaps I should, the existing installers/downloads for AmiKit are not ideal for FS-UAE).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acill View Post
Also now my Amikit wont load past the loading screen after the last auto update though the built in updater so I am at a loss on how to get it going again.
Have you waited long enough? The upgrade process after reboot takes several minutes (it will seem like the loading screen is stuck). I tested a clean installation with upgrades, and it works fine here.