English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 15 July 2008, 02:04   #1
Nomad of Norad

Location: Jacksonville, Florida, USA, Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy...
Send a message via ICQ to Nomad of Norad Send a message via AIM to Nomad of Norad Send a message via MSN to Nomad of Norad Send a message via Yahoo to Nomad of Norad
Floppy disk Mounting extra (HDF) drive

Running the Workbench 3.x preset (with the Workbench and Work drives that are actually Windoze directories) that is launched from AmigaForever's main pane, I want to add an additional (HDF hard-file) drive and then format it. There is no obvious way from the WinUAE Properties window to do that. How do I mount a third drive, while leaving the existing (simulated) Workbench and Work drives in place?
Old 15 July 2008, 07:23   #2
thomas

Go to "Hard drives" and click on "Add Hardfile...". Isn't this obvious enough ?
Old 15 July 2008, 21:03   #3
Nomad of Norad

Send a message via ICQ to Nomad of Norad Send a message via AIM to Nomad of Norad Send a message via MSN to Nomad of Norad Send a message via Yahoo to Nomad of Norad
I tried that. From Amiga Forever's main pane, I select Configure WinAUE (or whatever that button there is called), from the resulting window I select the drive from the Hard Drives tab, and select Launch (I think it was) from that pane. It launches with ONLY that ONE drive then, with no startup-sequence, and complains that it's not a readable drive. Or, if after I've added the drive on that window, I go to the Amiga Forever main pane and select Amiga 3.x, I get my usual two (simulated) Work and Workbench drives. Only. I DON'T GET the new drive alongside those.

How do I set things so that, when I select Amiga 3.x from the main, Amiga Forever pane, it launches with three drives?

Last edited by Nomad of Norad; 15 July 2008 at 21:23. Reason: Expanded the message a bit, for clarification... then fixed a silly gammatical mistake.
Old 15 July 2008, 22:42   #4
thomas

Select "Configure WinUAE", go to Configurations, select "Amiga 3.x", click on Load, go to "Hard drives" (the list should show System and Work from Amiga Forever), click on "Add Hardfile" and continue as before.

Or select "Amiga 3.x", wait until it has booted, press F12, go to "Hard drives" and click on "Add Hardfile". When the new HDD is in the list, click on "Reset".
Old 15 July 2008, 22:52   #5
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

The main point to remember is to save your new configuration before quitting WinUAE

Dave G
Old 17 July 2008, 23:43   #6
Nomad of Norad

Well, I've done it. Created the HDF file of the size I wanted, mounted it, formatted it, used DirOpus to copy everything (files, folders, icons) out of a drawer on Work...

I opened the drive from Workbench, and the positions of all the icons were totally scrambled! WTF?!?

I changed the setting to hide files that didn't have .info files, quit and restarted to have it reload everything in there from scratch... figuring some of the icons might have been popped out of place by pseudo-icons appearing where they wanted to be, or something...

They're still all scrambled up!

Going into the folders from there, though, I see those windows open where they're supposed to and shaped like they're supposed to, and the icons inside them all come up exactly where they're supposed to be.

I checked, and the .info files still have the original date stamps from the original copies. I copied the .info files again, over the copies, from the original drawer (just the "root" .info files, not the ones from the subdirs). As I was copying them, in DirOpus, the dialog told me that some of them where the same size, some of them where 4 bytes bigger (?!?), but it replaced them all.

Why would WinUAE show root icons all out of their expected locations, but show icons in folders in their correct locations? Should I replace the created Disk.info icon with another one?
Old 18 July 2008, 00:02   #7
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

Open the drawers and put them where you want and then use the menu options to lock them into position

I.E. as in "Window" and then "Clean up by name" and then "snapshot" when you're happy.

Easy peasy

Dave G
Old 18 July 2008, 01:17   #8
Nomad of Norad

Yeah, but I had these placed precisely like I wanted them before... and their positions snapshotted, from years ago. In fact, I had the position carefully crafted (and snapshotted) down to the pixel-width for some of them, worked and reworked until I had everything precisely where I wanted them. And clearly, files inside the folders are still coming up in their originally snapshotted positions... so why are things in the root directory not coming up in their originally snapshotted positions? I'm guessing there's a different mechanism (program?) that reads the positional information for the files in the disk's window (that is, the icon data for files that show up when you double-click the disk icon) from the mechanism (program?) that reads the positional information for the files in the folder's window (that is, the icon data for files in the called directory), and something is wonky about the icon-position-reading subroutine in the mechanism (program?) interpreting the icons for the drive's window, so that it is misreading, or not reading at all, the positional data in the icons.

Or maybe this is a bug with DirOpus5 that somehow corrupts the positional information of .info files I have directly hilighted for copy (I was IN the directory I was copying the files out of, because I wanted the files directly visable in that folder to be in the root of the new drive), different from the files it copies that are inside the folders I have hilighted for copy (i.e. the ones that aren't directly seen as DirOpus is copying them over): it somehow corrupts the position data in the files being directly copied, but leaves untouched the position information for the files in the subdirs... Could that be possible?

Okay, after a bit more poking and prodding, I've figured out it has to be DirOpus doing something goofy, because when I copy the files into a freshly created and formatted HDF file using something other than DirOpus (I actually used Windoze Explorer to make a copy of the dir I wanted out of Work and then mounted THAT as a simulated drive in WinUAE, then used Back-It-All-Up to clone that to the new HDF file) the icons come up where they're supposed to. Weird. Maybe DirOpus5 has a subtle problem dealing with HDF files, or something of the sort...

Last edited by Nomad of Norad; 18 July 2008 at 08:55. Reason: added additional paragraph, and rephrased one sentance for clarity. Now I've added another paragraph.
Old 18 July 2008, 09:21   #9
thomas

DOpus unsnapshots all icons it copies. I don't know if this is an option. Check the settings.

If nothing else helps, use the Shell command Copy to copy the files:

COPY sourcepath destinationpath ALL CLONE
Old 18 July 2008, 20:08   #10
Nomad of Norad

Funny that it doesn't unsnapshot the icons in subdirs when it copies the subdirs (and their content), though... I'll look for that setting next time I boot into the account I usually run AF from... (too many tasks running on THIS account for AF to run smoothly on this one.)