English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 26 July 2007, 01:00   #1
Mr_Legend

Problem getting the old emulator working

I really want to play some of my old amiga games, mostly swos and speedball. Back when I was a nipper i'd boot up my amiga 600 and be greeted by a purple screen with a basic animation of a floppy being inserted. However with Winuae I get a win dos screen.

I guess the question is, what do I need to do from here to be having a kick about with the tiny stars of the mid 90's?

Old 26 July 2007, 02:18   #2
mrbob2

Have you downloaded the latest version of WINUAE 1.4.2 from the official site and your using the correct rom/kickstart config etc?
Old 26 July 2007, 16:35   #3
Mr_Legend

Thanks for the reply, with the fresh light of day I managed to get some stuff working. So at least I can play some of my old games.

The problems I have now are:

1) Sound, seems to crackle alot, bit of a delay.. any ideas how I should config my sound? (let me know if you need hardware details)

2) Games, I've got a decent amount in the loft back at my mothers house. However I'm not going to see her any time soon. Would be cool if you could tell me where you guys share. In time I hope I've got some things that some of you might be interested in.

Thanks alot for the help so far, hope I'm not being too needy. Anyway back to some swos

Old 26 July 2007, 17:31   #4
DamienD
Banned

Hello Mr_Legend,

Welcome to EAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Legend View Post
1) Sound, seems to crackle alot, bit of a delay.. any ideas how I should config my sound? (let me know if you need hardware details)
Hmmm, using the default settings configured in WinUAE's "Quickstarts" should work fine unless you have a dodgy graphics card or something...

If this is the case then you could play around a bit the with sound buffer slider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Legend View Post
2) Games, I've got a decent amount in the loft back at my mothers house. However I'm not going to see her any time soon. Would be cool if you could tell me where you guys share. In time I hope I've got some things that some of you might be interested in.
There are loads of sites where you can get games from for use with WinUAE

Take a look at >> Amiga FAQ << (located at the top of EAB) and in particular:

... Games / Demos download
Old 26 July 2007, 19:02   #5
Mr_Legend

well I did have the sound working fine, but must have fiddled with things i shouldn't have. Can anyone post the default settings?

Thanks for the links, I'll see what I can dig up.

Old 26 July 2007, 20:02   #6
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Use the Quickstart mode, as Damien already said.

Old 27 July 2007, 18:59   #7
Mr_Legend

seems to have done the trick, thanks for the help.

Have swos and speed ball running nicely so I've began converting the folks round here to the way of the Amiga.

I'm currently looking for a good copy of the original pirates! I've got fond memory's of that one. Any other recommendations? (am I asking in the wrong place?)

Well regardless, you've been really helpful and this forum seems very friendly. Cheers

Old 27 July 2007, 19:04   #8
mrbob2

If you want an ADF image try planetemu or emuasylum..... they have thousands of games