English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 10 January 2018, 19:01   #1
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Retro-bit SEGA USB and Bluetooth Genesis, Saturn and Dreamcast accessories revealed!

Great. Finally a good move from Sega. I've waited long enough for bluetooth Mega Drive and Saturn controller. Usable on many devices including the original hardware. Even on pictures you can see that is probably very close to the original quality. The perfect 8bitdo counterparts.

http://segabits.com/blog/2018/01/10/...ries-revealed/

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 10 January 2018 at 19:07.
Old 10 January 2018, 19:14   #2
Amiga1992

Wow that does look very accurate, but only testing will determine how accurate they are.
6 button MD or Saturn pads are the end-all-be-all joypads!

But I worry because they are not SEGA products, so you never know.
Old 10 January 2018, 19:17   #3
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I'm very convinced. Looks like they used the original molds. The d-pad and buttons seems very accurate too. Let's prey that the interior is right too. Krikzz (the Everdrive guy) is also working on wireless MD pads (no bluetooth so). Exciting times for retro gamer.
Old 10 January 2018, 19:48   #4
Amiga1992

Well I would say it goes beyond the molds you use for the plastic exterior. The type of rubber contact pieces you use inside will also make a huge difference. Also the way the D-Pad travels to make that contact, is KEY in these two pads (it's the main reason I don't really like SNES controllers, the D-Pad is just icky).

Sure, just by pics, it looks spot-on, especially the 6 button MD one, looks like it's based on the GOOD early model, not the later model which sucks.

I cannot be convinced just by looks, I will have to test, but at the very least, I am happy this is happening! Would also love if somehow they made a Bluetooth receiver for thee to be connected to SNES or that the 8bitdo receiver would work with these!
Old 10 January 2018, 19:50   #5
Baboon
Moon Monkey

I've still got a couple of the saturn sls usb pads from years ago and they are still going strong!... I'd love some official Bluetooth pads though!!
Old 11 January 2018, 10:06   #6
idrougge

Let's just hope they don't act up when plugged into an Amiga (I know that they will have to pass through a converter for rearranging the power pin).
Old 11 January 2018, 15:01   #7
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
(I know that they will have to pass through a converter for rearranging the power pin).
A hugely widespread misconception that I wish would die.
You do not *need* to do this. Doesn't hurt to not do it. C64s, it might hurt, but not the Amiga.

You only use a converter if you want to play with a game that supports most buttons (the 2 or 3 that allow you to do so).

Either way, if they are done like a 1:1 copy, they shouldn't act up. they should perform like any other MD controller in an Amiga.
Old 11 January 2018, 15:12   #8
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
You do not *need* to do this. Doesn't hurt to not do it. C64s, it might hurt, but not the Amiga.
Careful with this. MD controllers only work on the Amiga by accident, because one of the pins is set high and that's what is used to power the chips in the pad. Some game and Kickstart combinations don't set this pin high, meaning that the pad doesn't work at all without correcting the power pin assignment. The thing with wireless controllers is that the receivers likely require much more power than the simple logic of the wired controllers, and therefore might have issues running off a logic output that was never intended to power anything.
Old 11 January 2018, 15:46   #9
Amiga1992

But there shouldn't be any chips in the pad involved, unless you use the multiplexing. up/down/left/right and C all act like a normal Atari joystick directly, with no multiplexing circuitry.

It could be that the wireless receiver has issues if it relies on this 5V line though, yes, but I was under the impression these people will also make regular wired controllers too.
Old 11 January 2018, 16:22   #10
Daedalus

Nope, they don't. The only inputs that act as standard are up and down, and that's only on the 3-button pad (and they also have pull-ups). The rest of the controls all go through the multiplexer, so require the 5V supply at all times to work.
Old 11 January 2018, 17:04   #11
Amiga1992

And which computers create this issue? It's the first time I hear it. I never had an issue in any of my machines, and I have used these pads for 20 years now. I never required any sort of adapter.

For reference, here is a PCB image. If you had not mentioned it, I would have never noticed most signals go to the multiplexer

Ah you said "some game" don't do this. I get it. I mean, yes, this is why a lot of games work with a Master System pad and NOT with an MD pad. But if you use the converter, will they then work?
We discussed this before, I remember now. I never realized it is because the signals go through the multiplexer.

So it's not like you need the converter, as I said before, like on a C64 where you can mess something up. It just will not operate with some games if it remains as-is.
This is why I usually prefer a Master System pad on Amiga, even if they are terrible.

Last edited by Amiga1992; 11 January 2018 at 17:10. Reason: revelations!
Old 11 January 2018, 17:13   #12
happymondays

Same here, never experienced any issues with neither Sega controllers nor third party MD controllers.
Old 11 January 2018, 17:30   #13
Daedalus

Yep, Mastersystem controllers are wired in the standard Atari 2-button way, so they should work in every situation. With an adaptor (or mod), the MD pad will also work perfectly as a 2-button pad, even with games where it did not before. An adaptor that lets the Amiga read all 4 buttons is also possible, but games that don't work directly won't work with that version either. That's the main problem, reasons it simply might not work. Generally the logic chips used have extremely low power requirements and so are happy to be powered by a data pin, but I wouldn't expect that to be the case for a wireless unit.

As for damage, no, there's not the same risk as there is for a C64, and 99.9% of the time it's perfectly safe. The only risk is from spurious behaviour of the multiplexer fighting the inputs (i.e. contention) when it has its power rapidly turned off and on again while voltages are still applied to its inputs. This can only happen where games continuously attempt to read a CD32 pad, even when they find that one isn't connected (or don't bother checking). It's an extremely niche case and nothing to worry about really, but I'm including the information anyway for completeness.
Old 11 January 2018, 17:41   #14
Amiga1992

Thanks for clarifying all that man. I always wanted to look for an answer, and this is the most precise and helpful one I ever had. It also sheds more shit over those who keep claiming an adapter is a MUST. It really isn't. But maybe it is wanted. I might even make one myself! This SMS/MD pad shit pissed me off for years.
Old 12 January 2018, 09:26   #15
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Either way, if they are done like a 1:1 copy, they shouldn't act up. they should perform like any other MD controller in an Amiga.
I though we were talking about wireless controllers here, how do you suggest powering the receiver without supplying power to it?
Old 12 January 2018, 16:31   #16
Amiga1992

I said sorry, I assumed we were talking about a cabled joypad, which I thought (I hope!) these people will make.
Old 24 August 2018, 00:38   #17
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

More infos from the Gamescom.

Gallery

http://www.gameblog.fr/news/77726-ga...-drive-officie

Intended prices for the pads. The Bluetooth pads looks like the 8bitdo SFC30 Pro.

• Genesis Wired 6-Button Original Port Controller (Black, Clear Blue) 19,99 €
  • Genesis Wired 8-Button USB® Port Controller (Black, Clear Blue) 24,99 €
  • Genesis Bluetooth® Controller (Black) 44,99 €
  • Genesis Bluetooth® Receiver 19,99 €
  • Megadrive Wired 6-Button Original Port Controller (Black, Clear Blue) 19,99 €
  • Megadrive Wired 8-Button USB® Port Controller (Black, Clear Blue) 24,99 €
  • Megadrive Bluetooth® Controller (Black) 44,99 €
  • Megadrive Bluetooth® Receiver 19,99 €
  • Saturn Wired Original Port Controller (Black, Slate Grey) 24,99 €
  • Saturn Wired USB® Port Controller (Black, Slate Grey) 29,99 €
  • Saturn Bluetooth® Controller (Black) 44,99 €
  • Saturn Bluetooth® Receiver 19,99 €

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 24 August 2018 at 01:08.
Old 19 February 2019, 22:51   #18
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Wired and USB MD/Saturn controller are soon available.

http://retro-bit.com/sega-collaboration
Old 20 February 2019, 16:38   #19
Gordon
Settler

Thanks for sharing. If anyone wants to use these on Amiga CD32 I recommend
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amiga-CD3...JUFb:rk:5:pf:0
Old 20 February 2019, 17:02   #20
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

This one works great too.

http://melbourneconsolerepros.com/pr...roducts_id=141