English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 10 April 2016, 20:47   #61
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats View Post
Thanks! We would love to get you on one day Akira
I don't think I have much to speak of, but if you do think so, contact me by all means!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post
If someone skips because of a little distortion I wonder how interested they really were...
[...]
I wonder if they hang up on friends calling using a mobile as the audio isn't to scratch?
Again, you also do not understand what it's like not being a native English speaker. And yes, numerous times, I had to unfortunately drop a call because I couldn't understand what was going on on the other side. It's not because it's "bad quality", it's because artifaction can make it harder for a non native speaker to understand what is being spoken.

This is no criticism or fault of the podcast makers per se, but it's a -reality- of those -millions- of us who do not speak English as their first language, and even those like me who are proper bilingual. Be a bit more considerate to such people.
Old 10 April 2016, 22:01   #62
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Maybe Dan and Ravi could get an intern to transcribe the interviews. For anyone keen to get into the broadcasting business it would be something impressive to put on their CV.

I don't suppose YouTube's automated subtitles are that accurate?
Old 10 April 2016, 22:22   #63
hungryhorace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamkatcha View Post
Maybe Dan and Ravi could get an intern to transcribe the interviews.
An intern? To what? Their not-for-profit podcast with a crew of two and limited budget? Think you're living in dreamworld.

If you care so much: you transcribe them.

Old 10 April 2016, 23:03   #64
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryhorace View Post
An intern? To what? Their not-for-profit podcast with a crew of two and limited budget? Think you're living in dreamworld.

If you care so much: you transcribe them.
Before you jumped down my throat for trying to be helpful perhaps you should have looked up the definition of the word:

intern
noun
ˈɪntəːn/
a student or trainee who works, sometimes without pay, in order to gain work experience or satisfy requirements for a qualification.
synonyms: trainee, apprentice, probationer, student, novice, learner, beginner; person doing work experience
"he worked as an intern for a local magazine"

It's what people do because it's mutually beneficial.
Old 10 April 2016, 23:43   #65
Amon_RA

Quote:
If someone skips because of a little distortion I wonder how interested they really were...

Content anyone???

That's like not watching a TV show because it is not in HD. IMHO it's stupid but everyone is allowed their own (dumb) opinions!!

I wonder if they hang up on friends calling using a mobile as the audio isn't to scratch?
Imagine yourself listening to a Dutch retro gaming Podcast where they interview someone with a heavy Flemish-Dutch accent/dialect (assuming that you are smart enough to understand another language beside English ofc). On top of that the audio quality isn't that great, so you have to stop the cast, go back a few seconds and re-play the conversation until you fully understand it.

Would you skip the interview or repeat it a few times more? Do you still believe that skipping the interview has to do with a lack of interest in the content?

Saying that someone has a dumb opinion for pointing out something that could be improved for an international audience is a bit narrow minded don't you think?
Old 11 April 2016, 00:00   #66
alpine9000

Well done to all involved, was a great listen.

And I would take access to some of your guests with distortion due to them not having a great mic any day over missing out on their stories.

Keep up the great work. Maybe a Galahad part2 one day?
Old 11 April 2016, 08:46   #67
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon_RA View Post
Imagine yourself listening to a Dutch retro gaming Podcast where they interview someone with a heavy Flemish-Dutch accent/dialect (assuming that you are smart enough to understand another language beside English ofc). On top of that the audio quality isn't that great, so you have to stop the cast, go back a few seconds and re-play the conversation until you fully understand it.

Would you skip the interview or repeat it a few times more? Do you still believe that skipping the interview has to do with a lack of interest in the content?

Saying that someone has a dumb opinion for pointing out something that could be improved for an international audience is a bit narrow minded don't you think?
If I listened to a Dutch podcast I would make sure I was fluent in Dutch. I am not so I do not...

I watch German TV sometimes. My German is not great but I don't complain to the German broadcasters that I cannot understand the accent or if their live news broadcasts from the field are not always great quality.

We're all entitled to our opinions I guess.

Dan has also explained how he is dependent on the interviewee's recording equipment.
Old 11 April 2016, 09:22   #68
Amon_RA

Quote:
If I listened to a Dutch podcast I would make sure I was fluent in Dutch. I am not so I do not...

I watch German TV sometimes. My German is not great but I don't complain to the German broadcasters that I cannot understand the accent or if their live news broadcasts from the field are not always great quality.

We're all entitled to our opinions I guess.

Dan has also explained how he is dependent on the interviewee's recording equipment.
I merely replied to someone saying that the podcast sounds absolutely awesome. Which is not true for some interviews. That is not voicing an opinion, but stating a fact... A fact that is due to the equipment or software used during the interview (as stated by Dan and Ravi in their feedback).

Imo there is nothing wrong with pointing out the sound quality as something that could be improved for an international audience if possible. It's just feedback, not a personal attack towards Dan or Ravi that needs to be defended by all means.

Last edited by Amon_RA; 11 April 2016 at 09:41.
Old 11 April 2016, 22:41   #69
Phantasm
Not a Rebel anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats View Post

Ps. Thanks for all your kind comments glad you guys are enjoying it, so are we!
Despite being from Nottingham myself I hadn't heard of your podcast till this post brought it to my attention.

Since then I have been back and listened to every episode and will continue to look forward to every episode going forwards. Your efforts are much appreciated in bringing us this high quality production and I love that you guys are both such Amiga fans :-)
Old 12 April 2016, 14:46   #70
rats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Despite being from Nottingham myself I hadn't heard of your podcast till this post brought it to my attention.

Since then I have been back and listened to every episode and will continue to look forward to every episode going forwards. Your efforts are much appreciated in bringing us this high quality production and I love that you guys are both such Amiga fans :-)
Thats ace! If you ever want to meet up let us know, can be often found playing in the national videogame arcade or just wanna hook up for some amiga gaming!
Old 12 April 2016, 18:57   #71
OldB0y

Cheers Dan and Ravi, I've listened to a few of your retro hour podcasts now, but this one was probably the most interesting for me. I may have had one or two Fairlight cracks back in the day....;-)
Old 17 June 2016, 04:43   #72
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

I am catching up to the podcasts episode and just finished that one and I must say it was really nice. Hearing testimony from the Galahad side of the fence was definitely interesting. But... (read below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
It was weird to me, havent heard my voice for a while, both the hosts (Dan and Ravi) have proper radio sounding voices, me? Not so much.
Well, actually, I thought to myself that you had a pretty nice sounding voice, quite booming yet very subtly controlled (I guess that comes with the British-ness ).

The thought that came to my mind while listening was "oh, what a voice, and I called him a kitten, I guess this one must be a fairly impressive kitty".

Quote:
One thing that was really disappointing though; the line "we've come to the end of the show". It's a podcast, it ends when there's nothing left to say! I could have listened to this one all day. Was the producer giving the neck slash signal?
This, I must definitely side with.
Sooooo many of the past episodes, I was taken aback by the sudden "thank you so much dear guest but we just reached the end of the interview" while the interview seemed to just have begun and reached proper momentum.

Your guests overall are very interesting and seem to have an enormous amount of relevant and catchy stories to tell that constraining to such a short time frame almost feels like a crime.

This interview was no exception, it was clear to me that Galahad could have said so much more about his work on porting ST exclusives, fixing buggy Amiga ones (Scramble Spirits! thank you again!!!), WHDLoad slaves, etc.

By all means, make these interviews longer.
I understand that other listeners might not want an extended duration podcast so if this requires adding a secondary "full interview" episode then that's just fine as well, you could have a "teaser interview" at the end of the regular show followed by the full Monthy on the next one.

Quote:
I don't suppose YouTube's automated subtitles are that accurate?
Actually, they are impressively accurate.
It might be a good idea indeed to put the podcasts on Youtube to make use of that feature.
Old 17 June 2016, 13:38   #73
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
Actually, they are impressively accurate.
It might be a good idea indeed to put the podcasts on Youtube to make use of that feature.
The guys already upload the podcasts to YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0d...tYuqd0el2_Y9YA
Haven't tried the YouTube captions, but they tend to get lost with everything but the most pristine and teacher-like of accents. It's a good effort for being automatic though.
Old 21 June 2016, 17:48   #74
Prosonic

top podcast thanks Galahad/FLT brings back a lot of memory's I may have had a few FLT releases here in Australia back in the day.. cheers
Old 04 July 2016, 08:16   #75
AndersHP

Just discovered this podcast, and absolutely loved this episode.

Awesome to hear Galahad's story on Putty Squad, that's just amazing.