English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 04 January 2019, 22:54   #1
hceline

WinUAE on multimonitor windows issues.

Hi, I have a laptop with Nvidia 770M and Intel integrated Haswell, I got a dell 2913UW on HDMI and AOC 2260W on active DP to HDMI adapter(this syncs down to 50hz an this is the one I want to use for WinUAE-fullscreen) on the Nvidia card, and on the VGA output connected to Intel card an old Benq G900WA. When I have my desktop extended to all three monitors(the integrated laptop monitor is not in use) fullscreen mode opens on the Benq monitor no-matther what I set in Host->Dispalay->Screen settings. Also the resolution list under same setting contains only resolutions of the Benq no-matter what monitor is selected. WinUAE is set to run on the Nvidia GPU in Nvidia settings. When the Benq is disabled I am able to use DispalyFusion to force the window to open on right monitor(It has a tendency to open on the Dell in that setup ) but that does not when all three are connected. (WinUAE config attached)

Secondly I would request, please, an option to not minimize the full-screen-WinUAE when releasing the mouse pointer. Most full-screen games/programs will minimize when you activate a window of another program, but that is possible to override with DispalyFusion or Actual-Multiple-Desktops. Trying to use the same overrides on WinUAE does not work; it force-minimizes itself.

Edit: Just checked config; There is a setting for "Minimize when focus is lost" but it is off here and I have never touched it.
Attached Files
File Type: uae A4000T_MMU_NEW.uae (22.2 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by hceline; 04 January 2019 at 23:46. Reason: Checked settings.
Old 05 January 2019, 10:53   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Attach both logs (winuaebootlog.txt and winuaelog.txt) but don't expect fixes unless it also happens without displayfusion.

I have had too many bad experiences with most "helper" utilities that hook to applications and have habit of doing stupid things when program isn't behaving like most "normal" programs.
Old 05 January 2019, 15:22   #3
hceline

OK, I quit DisplayFusion, unloaded WindowsBlinds and started WinUAE.

Then I check that monitor is set to AOC (I actually got the resolution-list from the right monitor, but earlier I did not check resolution-list before after fullscreen-window was opened).
Starting the emulator the fullscreen-window opens on BenQ monitor and the resolution list again contains only resolutions from that monitor.

Also not mentioned in first post because I believe it is due much smaller resolution on BenQ monitor (and it being in portrait mode): When the WInUAE fullscreen-window opens it is totally black, and I have to alt-tab to and form it a few times before it starts showing picture. And it does not react to input before I put it in window-mode as opposed to fullscreen.

Attached logs was saved right after fullscreen-window opened, while it was still black.
Attached Files
File Type: zip winuae64_debug_4.1.0.zip (24.0 KB, 93 views)
Old 05 January 2019, 15:34   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Log seems to say that you tried to open 1920x1080 RTG mode which can't fit on selected monitor so default monitor was retried.

Switch off vsync to reduce unknown variables.
Old 05 January 2019, 15:48   #5
hceline

Turned off vsync, quit, cleared logs and restart WinUAE. Checked screen settings and started emulator; same result.
My monitors native resolution:
Dell 2560x1080
AOC 1920x1080
BenQ 900x1440 (in portrait)
According to Windows Settings the internal laptop panel is monitor 1(disconnected in windows settings), the BenQ is monitor 2, AOC is monitor 3 and the Dell is monitor 4 (set to main display in windows settings).
Attached Files
File Type: zip winuae64_debug_4.1.0-no_vsync.zip (23.8 KB, 91 views)
Old 05 January 2019, 20:01   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Did you perhaps miss that RTG modes have separate monitor selection in RTG panel? It is set to BenQ G900W in your config.
Old 05 January 2019, 23:07   #7
hceline

Doh, me stupid. It works when changing that setting.

Then I'm just hoping it is possible to get an option for not minimizing the fullscreen when untraping the mouse. Or is there a trick I do not understand to that too?
Old 06 January 2019, 11:18   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Does Direct3D11 mode (misc panel) have same problem?
Old 06 January 2019, 21:29   #9
hceline

Yes, and it's been this way for as long as I can remember. Turning off the "Minimize when focus is lost" setting always only affected window-mode, but is was not a problem with only one monitor attached.
Old 19 January 2019, 09:12   #10
hceline

Spent a little time testing new settings since the 3.3.0 version I was on due to Windows bug. Did some experimenting; and the conclusion is that what I am really asking for is "Magic Mouse" support for full-screen.
Old 19 January 2019, 13:12   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hceline View Post
Spent a little time testing new settings since the 3.3.0 version I was on due to Windows bug. Did some experimenting; and the conclusion is that what I am really asking for is "Magic Mouse" support for full-screen.
How? Exclusive fullscreen means other possible monitors are "unavailable" without putting the program in background. (If DisplayFusion enables it: it is still unsupported because it is not officially supported Windows feature)
Old 19 January 2019, 13:48   #12
hceline

There exists games that run in exclusive full-screen but does not confine mouse to monitor. When running such game one can drag mouse to other monitor, but game minimizes when you activate other window. This is where DisplayFusion/actual-multiple-monitors breaks in and stops the minimizing by keeping game window active. What I request is an option to not confine mouse to current monitor in full-screen, DispalyFusion can do the rest of the job (it works on all full-screen game/program that does not confine mouse to monitor as long as they do not insist on keeping an exclusive grab on input devices)

Edit: To put it simply, if WinUAE lets the pointer leave the monitor and releases input-device grabs when loosing focus; it should work, DisplayFusion will do the rest of the work.

Last edited by hceline; 19 January 2019 at 18:22. Reason: Presition
Old 21 January 2019, 01:26   #13
Saghalie

Works ok with Full-Window.
Old 21 January 2019, 01:59   #14
hceline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saghalie View Post
Works ok with Full-Window.

Yes, if all other windows programs behaved nicely that would work, but they insist on messing with my view in windowed full-screen.
Old 23 January 2019, 08:53   #15
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hceline View Post
Edit: To put it simply, if WinUAE lets the pointer leave the monitor and releases input-device grabs when loosing focus; it should work, DisplayFusion will do the rest of the work.
That is much easier said than done because exclusive fullscreen mode needs to work quite differently (in application level) than other modes.

Quote:
Yes, if all other windows programs behaved nicely that would work, but they insist on messing with my view in windowed full-screen.
How do they mess it up? Always on top option won't help?
Old 23 January 2019, 13:48   #16
hceline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
That is much easier said than done because exclusive fullscreen mode needs to work quite differently (in application level) than other modes.
I find this strange, both Cryengine and Unity games works like this in fullscreen. The only games that do not work like this is those that go out of their way to keep the mouse confined because they do edge-scrolling and those who do not release the input device lock when they loose focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
How do they mess it up? Always on top option won't help?
Firstly if I set main window always-on top this makes the config window to always on top which is very impractical if you keep the config-window on another monitor. Also if I got always on top I can not access other windows that open on same monitor as WinUAE.

Other than that, I got other windows that is always on top, even some that overlap into all 3 monitors at times because they are non-resizable and I use the 900x1440 monitor to stash them away. I have not tried tied due to the other two issues with always on top, but judging by the interaction between always-on-top windows and the titlebar I guess two always-on-top windows overlapping each-other leads to quite random behavior.

Last edited by hceline; 23 January 2019 at 13:58. Reason: Messed up quotes