English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 10 July 2015, 20:10   #1
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

How to setup Roland MT32 emulation?

Hi:
Can somebody please tell me the steps to use an emulated Roland on WinUAE? I want to try there the new marvellous ScummVM and surely a lot of people more.

Let's see: I've downloaded MUNT from here http://sourceforge.net/projects/munt/
and I've got the roms from somewhere else (I also have a real Roland).

But I don't see how to add it to WinUAE. I can't add MUNT as midi device like it was time ago.

Last edited by Retrofan; 11 July 2015 at 00:56.
Old 10 July 2015, 20:41   #2
amadama

If you already installed MUNT it should have also installed a MIDI driver for it.
In WinUAE go to to I/O ports section and select "MT-32 Synth Emulator" from the MIDI out drop down (see pic attached):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-07-10 14_36_28-WinUAE Munt.png
Views:	647
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	44689  
Old 10 July 2015, 21:01   #3
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

And what about the Sound? In Munt it uses WinMMAudio:Speakers (Realtek High Definit , and on WinUAE I don't have that option. With DSound: Realtek High Definition Audio it doesn't work. I have sound but when I try to run a Sierra game it hangs loading using the mt32.drv. It should work.
Old 10 July 2015, 21:17   #4
amadama

The regular sound settings are only for sound that the actual Amiga produces. This should be set to whatever normally works (usually the default will be fine). MUNT will output its own sound separately.
Does MUNT itself work properly and is it running while WinUAE is running? Verify it first with an MT-32 midi file like this one:
http://gansweith.freehostia.com/midi...TARTREK-32.MID
(in MUNT go to "Tools", "Play MIDI File")
Old 10 July 2015, 21:52   #5
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Yep, it plays very well your file, and yes I've got the Munt windows opened and the display with the lights on.
Old 10 July 2015, 22:17   #6
amadama

I just installed Space Quest IV into an emulated A1200 with WB 3.1.
After install I changed the driver in SQ IV from amigasound.drv to mt32.drv (using the install program) and it is outputting to MUNT just fine and it sound great (see pic).
Note that this was the actual Sierra SQ IV and not running from SCUMMVM. I've never used SCUMMVM but can verify that MUNT works fine with WinUAE.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2015-07-10 16_14_02-Munt_ MT-32 Emulator.png
Views:	517
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	44691  
Old 10 July 2015, 22:27   #7
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Hey it works! It works with ScummVM, not with my Sierra games.

BTW no speech with a 030 and Fate of Atlantis, like in the real thing. Novacoder can try his port on WinUAE too.

I've got the idea that reinstalling the Sierra games they will work and that maybe they save something in another place apart of the Sierra drawer. (¿?)

Could you send me that to try, please? fernandoace@hotmail.es

Last edited by Retrofan; 10 July 2015 at 22:32.
Old 10 July 2015, 22:36   #8
amadama

After installing the Sierra games into your HD run the Install program again from the HD. Select the mt32.drv driver and then click on the "Update" button.
Not all the Sierra games support mt32 and even some of the ones that supposedly do offer support don't come with the mt32.drv driver.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sierra_install.png
Views:	474
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	44692  
Old 10 July 2015, 22:40   #9
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Hehe. I was the one that made all that long ago. I had 13/14 games working instead of the 3 ones wikipedia has. All of the games I've got already have mt32 as sound driver. In many I just copied the mt32 from another games (after editing the config) and in a couple I renamed something to pat9 or something. Can you please send me your game to try?

Edit: Not necessary. I've reinstalled it from floppy and now works. As I say I believe it saves something else in another place.

Edit2: Confirmed: I've copied the working SQIV, and just changed the booting Hard drive (with the same configuration) and now it hangs the same loading. It seems that the Sierra games save something else or something is changed when you copy them to another HD.

Could you try that too? Copy the game to some PC partition and try to run it booting from another HD.

Edit 3: It had to be some setting in my PC, SORRY. I believe it could be Razor Game Booster that I use to launch WinUAE in this -slow- PC, as now I can load the games I had stored from Sierra. I don't think I've changed anything else. In any case it has been very very rare.

Now indeed all of my Sierra games are working with whatever hd. What's more, they work (they have the config to use mt32.drv) just the same if you enable on WinUAE the MT32-Synth Emulator or if you don't select anything there.

Last edited by Retrofan; 11 July 2015 at 02:09.
Old 11 July 2015, 02:02   #10
amadama

Ok, I set up a new HD and did a fresh install of WB 3.1
I then shut down and copied over the Sierra folder and the Sierra.info file from the root of the old HD into the new HD.
When I started up the machine on the new HD I was able to fire up SQ IV no problem and it was playing from MUNT just fine.
Seems like everything is contained within the game folder.
Old 11 July 2015, 03:13   #11
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Yep, all of my Sierra games are working too, no idea what happened before. Thanks for the help.
Old 20 January 2019, 17:04   #12
jotd
This cat is no more

yes, it works fine (tested on LSL enhanced) and the music is soo much better, but quitting whdload for instance doesn't shut down the music. Is there a CLI command able to shut it so we can put it in whdload post-game script?
Old 13 April 2019, 18:32   #13
honx

is winuae able to emulate mt32 midi by itsself withoud need to intall other emulation software and midi drivers?
if so, how do i set it up? i want to try these midi-capabilites of some sierra games...
Old 13 April 2019, 18:40   #14
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

No, Munt is needed if using WinUAE.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/munt/
You also need to configure Munt with MT-32 roms available here:
https://tinyurl.com/ycs98tya

Then all you have to do is enable MT-32 MIDI out in WinUAE and you're good to go.

Since FS-UAE is based on WinUAE source I assume it works there as well, not sure though.
Old 13 April 2019, 19:01   #15
honx

thx.
well, then no midi-emulation for me. don't want another emulator for just midi.
and much less if software needs to be installed using installer .exe executable.
also i have seen, munt is beta. i prefer stable releases, i'm not a beta tester.

i'll wait... maybe midi emulation will be added to winuae at some point...
just like other expansion cards and devices are added every release...
Old 13 April 2019, 19:55   #16
Mrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by honx View Post
is winuae able to emulate mt32 midi by itsself withoud need to intall other emulation software and midi drivers?
if so, how do i set it up? i want to try these midi-capabilites of some sierra games...

winuae is able to emulate a normal MIDI device without installing software/drivers
ie you can play midi files using hardware programs like bars + pipes or a CAMD midi player
is the same result if you have a midi device connected on the Amiga

for MT32 you need to install munt in windows
but is not worh because just 2 games uses MT32 emulation (universe and Larry 5)
Old 14 April 2019, 21:32   #17
pipper

Bear in mind that WinUAE does not emulate a MIDI synthesizer. It emulates a MIDI _connection_ on the Amigas serial port. It relays that connection to any connected midi device on the host PC, be it an actual midi device or a virtual one like MUNT.
Old 15 April 2019, 01:27   #18
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

can amiga dosbox version can use a real mt32 or munt with winuae ????