English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 21 July 2017, 15:50   #261
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Never liked the Shadow Dancer arcade version. I think the Genesis exclusive game was much better. Great Amiga port? Maybe a decent one, but not great imo.
I like the arcade game a lot more than the Mega-Drive game (which isn't a bad game at all)
Old 21 July 2017, 15:58   #262
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

The arcade version has big sprites, scrolls smooth and the controls are working good enough. The Amiga port could have been better. A small viewable game screen (big borders), jerky/jittery scrolling with probably less than 25fps and the controls aren't that smooth. Looks like 16 colors only.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 21 July 2017 at 17:36.
Old 21 July 2017, 16:03   #263
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I am pretty sure its 16 colors only, it looks identical to the ST version, but a lot smoother and with better music/sfx.
Old 21 July 2017, 16:35   #264
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarchos View Post
The tunes are great, too.
See, I would never agree. The tunes are a terrible rendition of the originals. You also said you never played the original game. It's fine, you can enjoy this version of Pac-Mania, I know I did a lot, but then I got a hold of the arcade, and I was like, "what is this Amiga shit I have been fed for years?" The Archimedes version, despite larger looking sprites, still looks terrible, with too large a playfield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
I agree that for Final Fight the game logic was very necessary but for PacMania they have no excuse.
I think that a game like Pac-Man or Pac-Mania is usually misrepresented as one of "simple game logic". Just go up-down-left-right and eat pellets...
If you hear a pro player talk about these games, you will realize there is a lot going on than what meets the eye. See for example Billy Mitchel talking about Pac-Man or something.

The behavior in Pac-Mania's ghosts is rather complex in my opinion, and a peek at the original source code would have helped get that feeling closer to reality.

Another good example of a supposedly "simple" game but that, in my opinion, the Amiga never got quite right, is TETRIS. Yeah it might seem simple as hell, but once you play one of the good ones (like arcade Atari Tetris), you realize, there's something missing in others. But what? It's SO simple! Just put bricks in place and form lines, right? I don't think so
Old 21 July 2017, 17:30   #265
wanderer
I want an A1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Another good example of a supposedly "simple" game but that, in my opinion, the Amiga never got quite right, is TETRIS.
Sorry for quick OT... did you ever find that Tetris game?
Old 21 July 2017, 17:50   #266
nobody

I think this is his Tetris
[ Show youtube player ]

Or this
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 21 July 2017, 18:00   #267
Amiga1992

Don't wanna go too OT, but nope, nobody, it was an Amiga game.

Jope: I never found any footage of that show, so it will be forever lost. There's a big chance it was some version of Twintris. But I cannot ascertain, all I tried still don't feel right. By this point I don't know how clouded my judgement is by deteriorating childhood memories, but I just can't shake teh idea that it looked just like Atari Tetris.

Anyway, yeah, no Amiga Tetris game feels like any of the Alexey Pajitnov ones.
Old 21 July 2017, 18:10   #268
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

TwinTris is a nice Tetris clone for the Amiga though. Not that hard to beat the awful official Tetris Amiga version.
Old 21 July 2017, 18:44   #269
Amiga1992

Yes, Twintris is probably as good as it gets, although I also liked Tetris Pro by 2000AD, and to be fair, the Gameboy Tetris PD conversion wasn't that bad either!
Old 21 July 2017, 19:35   #270
NorthWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
I don't think the problem with Bubble Bobble on Amiga is lack of source code. It doesn't need to be 100% accurate, but it could at least play a lot better. It's like Photon said, it could had been 1:1 or even better, but its screwed by being an Atari ST port.
It is a long time since I ReSource'd BB, but I think it did use the blitter. And had pre-shifted sprites (yep, ST origins).
And IIRC it has a delay loop to to keep the speed at ST levels. And there is some Enforcer hit in there that I don't know what really causes it. Took a bit of work to hammer the game out, optimize and make it behave - apart from the hit :-(
Old 21 July 2017, 20:54   #271
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWay View Post
It is a long time since I ReSource'd BB, but I think it did use the blitter. And had pre-shifted sprites (yep, ST origins).
And IIRC it has a delay loop to to keep the speed at ST levels. And there is some Enforcer hit in there that I don't know what really causes it. Took a bit of work to hammer the game out, optimize and make it behave - apart from the hit :-(
Is there an "optimized" version of it out there somewhere ??
Old 21 July 2017, 23:47   #272
nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
You can with the cracked / trained Flashtro version

See this thread: Ghosts 'N Goblins - 100% perfect disk version

...and here's the file on the Flashtro website
I transferred to floppy and yes it has direction changing when jumping. Now it's a close copy of the arcade.
Old 21 July 2017, 23:57   #273
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
dragon ninja ?
2 years late !! but yes it was dragon ninja !!! great conversion and like i said it had more scrollings in some stages (on the miggy)!!!
Old 22 July 2017, 01:04   #274
NorthWay

Quote:
Is there an "optimized" version of it out there somewhere ??
Not sure it played any different, but my patch was(is?) available on AmiNet.
Old 22 July 2017, 23:51   #275
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican3 View Post
2 years late !! but yes it was dragon ninja !!! great conversion and like i said it had more scrollings in some stages (on the miggy)!!!
More scrollings? What do you mean?
Are you referring to additional layers of parallax scrolling?
Old 02 August 2017, 00:10   #276
Amiga1992

How I forgot to mention one of my favorite conversions, which nobody seems to have mentioned either?

I love VOLFIELD. It's accurate and a great, very underrated game in my opinion!
Old 02 August 2017, 00:37   #277
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
I don't think that it's true. According to this Amiga Lore interview they had game design documents and the arcade machine. The Japanese companies never gave away their source codes. Often the coder/graphic- and soundartists had to change their real names into aliases for the game credits, so that other companies couldn't headhunt them.

http://www.abime.net/interviews/view/interview/id/2
Earlier this year we performed an interview with Jason Page. He confirmed that information:

Quote:
We didn’t have source, but we did have an amazing folder of information from Taito that explained a lot of the game mechanics via diagrams (how far Bub could jump, etc.).
http://www.lemonamiga.com/interviews/jason_page/
Old 02 August 2017, 00:38   #278
idrougge

Quote:
How I forgot to mention one of my favorite conversions, which nobody seems to have mentioned either?

Indeed. And it's even hard disk installable.
Old 02 August 2017, 03:45   #279
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:

Except it's name VOLFIED not VOLFIELD. I always make this mistake too

My dad's wife could 1 life the game doing 99.9% on every level. And she basically did it everytime she played it, it was like nothing to her. Watching her playing it made the game look so damn easy. It was the most amazing demonstration of fully dominating a game I ever saw "live".
Old 02 August 2017, 12:37   #280
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Except it's name VOLFIED not VOLFIELD. I always make this mistake too

My dad's wife could 1 life the game doing 99.9% on every level. And she basically did it everytime she played it, it was like nothing to her. Watching her playing it made the game look so damn easy. It was the most amazing demonstration of fully dominating a game I ever saw "live".
richard horrocks was a great amiga coder and indeed, Volfied is an excellent conversion of the arcade machine