English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 15 October 2018, 11:19   #341
Zener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemming880 View Post
Ah new stuff cheers. Can you also add an option to loop music mods please. And I'm still wishing for better scroll speed.
Sure, taking it into account for next versions
Old 15 October 2018, 14:30   #342
Lemming880

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zener View Post
Sure, taking it into account for next versions
I tested some other mods and they actually loop. I was just unlucky to use a mod that doesn't loop. Weird though. Still it can be useful to have a check box for looping so people can choose.
Old 16 October 2018, 20:23   #343
Yoz Montana

Hi Zener,

Great update

Why backgrounds are in 4 colors ?
Is it possible to have more colors ?

-
Old 16 October 2018, 20:49   #344
Zener

Yes and no

I think it is possible, it is just very difficult to do without making the screen smaller, like in some amiga games that push harware hard
Old 19 October 2018, 13:14   #345
Lemming880

I've made an ADF of my Redpill Puzzle example game from 2017. It's in the zone. Unfortunately I could not add more levels because there was no space left. So it's a very small demo game. I did change the music and smoothed some things programming-wise.

@zener: While trying to make an adf of this game I had a hard time changing the volume name. I used the volume name 'Redgames' while making the game and wanted to change it to the name of the game but after changing all paths in the project it still only worked when using volume name 'Redgames'. So I gave up and also named the floppy 'Redgames' and it works. My question is can you make Redpill work without volume names, or at least make it not care about it. Paths should start from /folder and not volume name:folder. Btw I think I managed to change the volume name in another project (after many attempts) so it is possible but this time I couldn't figure it out. Of course I could also use the name of the game as volume name right away so I never have to change it.

Then there's a problem with Fire2 that I can't get a grip on. And it happens only in WinUAE, not on real hardware. In my Puzzle game I had assigned Fire2 to restart a level but after pressing it in the start menu (level 0), Fire1, which is assigned to go to level 1, would show level 1 for a split second and then go back to level 0. And after pressing it many times it would give a guru. I know what you're thinking, this could be bad programming by the user and yes that's plausible :P but I also had a Fire2 problem in another project. In my platform game, after pressing Fire2, the player character starts shooting projectiles continuously. While projectiles are assigned to Fire1 and should only shoot one per button press. Like I said it only happens in WinUAE and maybe it's just me who has the problem. I've let someone else test my platform game and he said he didn't have problems in WinUAE which confused me even more. But I still thought I should report it.

And another thing. I noticed the floppy drive keeps spinning after loading. It happens in both my puzzle game and my platform game. And also your Mirror game does it. Any idea what causes this? Could this harm real floppy drives and disks? Weird thing is that in my puzzle game the drive stops spinning in level 2.
Old 19 October 2018, 13:43   #346
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Unfortunately I could not add more levels because there was no space left.
If you crunch the file "RPP.pill" using Crunch-Mania V1.91t as a "data" file then you'll have 369K free on disk as opposed to 10K

Modified .ADF in The Zone! for you
Old 19 October 2018, 13:57   #347
Lemming880

Ah well thanks but there was also another problem. Adding new levels would corrupt the game. It was my first redpill game so the programming isn't very solid. But I could give it another try cheers.
Old 19 October 2018, 13:58   #348
Zener

I've seen the adf's in the Zone, I will try to fix the issues you mention. RP already tries to use relative paths whenever possible, but maybe there was some mistake in my side.

I've also seen you have updated the player, but not the .pill file, if you save your project again with latest Redpill the size of the .pill file will easily half (before/without crunchmania)

Good times ahead
Old 19 October 2018, 14:01   #349
Zener

.pill size should be 220Kb, if it is more than 300Kb then it is pre version 0.6.x
Old 19 October 2018, 14:05   #350
DamienD
Banned

Crunchmania got the file "RPP.pill" down from 373939 bytes --> 5690 bytes
Old 19 October 2018, 14:07   #351
Zener

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Crunchmania got the file "RPP.pill" down from 373939 bytes --> 5690 bytes
Awesome!
Old 19 October 2018, 14:30   #352
Lemming880

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zener View Post
I've seen the adf's in the Zone, I will try to fix the issues you mention. RP already tries to use relative paths whenever possible, but maybe there was some mistake in my side.

I've also seen you have updated the player, but not the .pill file, if you save your project again with latest Redpill the size of the .pill file will easily half (before/without crunchmania)

Good times ahead

I have changed and saved the game many times under RedPill 0.6.4 before making the adf but the .pill file didn't get smaller. But good to know new versions will have smaller size. And indeed crunching to 5kb is incredible.
Old 19 October 2018, 14:51   #353
Lemming880

I figured out what keeps the floppy drive spinning: Music. Levels that load music keep the drive spinning and levels without music don't. Voila.
Old 19 October 2018, 18:01   #354
Hewitson

Quote:
I tested some other mods and they actually loop. I was just unlucky to use a mod that doesn't loop. Weird though. Still it can be useful to have a check box for looping so people can choose.
Some mods loop, some don't. What is weird about that?
Old 19 October 2018, 20:12   #355
Lemming880

The specific mod does loop in backbone but doesn't loop in redpill. So I was referring to the program not looping, not the mod.

While I just tested music in both backbone and redpill I noticed a significant difference in sound quality. Backbone is crisp while redpill sounds muffled.
Old 20 October 2018, 11:58   #356
Zener

Quote:
The specific mod does loop in backbone but doesn't loop in redpill. So I was referring to the program not looping, not the mod.

While I just tested music in both backbone and redpill I noticed a significant difference in sound quality. Backbone is crisp while redpill sounds muffled.
I just uploaded another adf in the Zone. This one is saves with last RP version, there was a bug that if you saved over the old file, the size stayed the same. It doesn't have crunchmania on it, you can still squeeze some more bytes out of it.

I loaded your project and reimported the tiles, this is enough to name the disk as you wish. Now it is named Lemming880 and works fine.

Adding new levels should not be a problem, but let me know if you have still have issues with that.

I could not reproduce your problem with fire2, if only happens in UAE my guess is that maybe the key for for fire 2 in RP is mapped to the fire 1 in UAE, or something like that. I changed a bit your project to try to avoid that, let me know if ir worked. If not also try to change the input keys&joy in UAE.

The floppy led on was an issue for going too fast, I added a bit of delay after loadings and at least in my A1200 it looks ok now.

Music is still the same, the mods in title and play are looping, I didn't test the ending one, is this the one not looping? About quality, I cannot tell, it comes to my mind that during play the mod is only played using 3 channels. It could be also that the sound filter is on, I will check that.

Thanks for all your feedback, it helps makes the tool better and better.
Old 21 October 2018, 14:43   #357
Lemming880

Thanks for the updated version. I don't notice a difference in how fire2 works. I will reinstall winuae and see if that solves the fire2 problem. In the version of redpillpuzzle that I uploaded to the zone I already made a workaround for the fire2 problem so I was talking about an older version. I removed fire2 from the levels and only kept it in level 0 (menu) and assigned it the same as fire1: to go to level 1 (removing fire2 from level 0 would make fire1 stop from working so I had to keep fire2 in) Still, when pressing fire2 in any of the levels (while it isn't assigned to do anything) it will make fire1 stop working, while on my real a1200 it keeps working.

Nice that you fixed the floppy light. Did you put a delay in my game or in redpill? I mean will the next version of redpill solve the problem?

The mod that doesn't loop is called dental day and is in the original redpillpuzzle game that's included in redpill. You can also get the mod here: https://modarchive.org/module.php?78751. The sound is also muffled when using 'play mod' so it's not because of 3 channels.

And you're welcome.

Edit. I also noticed that since v0.6.6 there are black borders on the left and right side of the game screen.

Last edited by Lemming880; 22 October 2018 at 13:54.
Old 22 October 2018, 23:30   #358
Zener

Quote:
Thanks for the updated version. I don't notice a difference in how fire2 works. I will reinstall winuae and see if that solves the fire2 problem. In the version of redpillpuzzle that I uploaded to the zone I already made a workaround for the fire2 problem so I was talking about an older version. I removed fire2 from the levels and only kept it in level 0 (menu) and assigned it the same as fire1: to go to level 1 (removing fire2 from level 0 would make fire1 stop from working so I had to keep fire2 in) Still, when pressing fire2 in any of the levels (while it isn't assigned to do anything) it will make fire1 stop working, while on my real a1200 it keeps working.

Nice that you fixed the floppy light. Did you put a delay in my game or in redpill? I mean will the next version of redpill solve the problem?

The mod that doesn't loop is called dental day and is in the original redpillpuzzle game that's included in redpill. You can also get the mod here: https://modarchive.org/module.php?78751. The sound is also muffled when using 'play mod' so it's not because of 3 channels.

And you're welcome.

Edit. I also noticed that since v0.6.6 there are black borders on the left and right side of the game screen.
Next Redpill version will contain all the changes, yes, a delay has been added to give time to the floppy (or floppy led) to turn off.

The black borders are to avoid having the copper background color all around. It seems to only work in ECS games for now. It is something that could be optional if needed.
Old 24 October 2018, 23:02   #359
Zener

New release!!! V0.6.7 is here, as always download it from http://tiny.cc/getredpill

Changes and fixes:
-Fixed issue in ECS machines that could end in a crash.
-Fixed issue with games with multiple songs.
-Fixed issue when overwriting projects that ended making the file bigger than it should.
-Added delays after reading files to avoid the floppy drive being on when it should not.
-After starting to play a mod file the Amiga filter is turned off.
-Fixed issue with sprite backgrounds moving at loop speed and showing an artifact.
Old 28 October 2018, 17:53   #360
Aladin

Tronic Kids (2018 Amiga Factory)

https://amigatronics.wordpress.com/2...ara-descargar/