English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 06 August 2005, 23:01   #21
Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_0rga5m
Nah that would be silly .. Classic Amiga Preservation Society-PC ? ... Classic Amiga Preservation Society-Mac ?
Point is CAPS is just known and referred to mostly as CAPS - most people don't really care what it stands for, and names like this preserve CAPS's roots. You can also view these other projects as extensions of CAPS, hence names like CAPS-PC are not totally inappropriate.
Old 07 August 2005, 02:57   #22
girv
Mostly Harmless

Thumbs up

Looking forward to the Amstrad CPC dumps I probably have a few disks around here somewhere...
Old 07 August 2005, 18:15   #23
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiath
Well spotted x_to.

It is actually *necessary* for the Amiga since the main games that are not yet preserved are those that are dual-format, or are stored in a PC/ST disk format. Also remember that we are running out of Amiga games to do!.
Nope matey CAPS/SPS is not running out of games, i have uploaded many games in my directory on your server, and they still await to be checked !!!

So, what to do ?
Old 07 August 2005, 21:49   #24
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

SPS guys - is there a link that will display a single entry in the games section based on the ID?

e.g. the link to 2500 would display the line:

2500 Great Giana Sisters, The ...
Old 07 August 2005, 23:28   #25
oldpx

The new name stinks. It's like spss boooorrrriiinnnngggg!!!!

Old 08 August 2005, 00:22   #26
Galaxy

Yeah I though of SPSS when I saw the new name - a program which you don't really want to associate yourself with because it is pretty dodgy (at least older versions were anyway)
Old 08 August 2005, 10:09   #27
spiff
Oh noes!

Congrats on the four years, and thanks for all the goodies, if the following four will be half as much fun I’ll stick around.

As for the name, I think a UAE or LAME interpretation would have been just as fine, everyone knows changes are dangerous and almost always end in outsourcing.

Caps All Preserving Software
Caps Ain’t All Amiga Preservations Society… and so on in the good old linux tradition.
Old 08 August 2005, 17:10   #28
Interceptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyJarrett
SPS guys - is there a link that will display a single entry in the games section based on the ID?

e.g. the link to 2500 would display the line:

2500 Great Giana Sisters, The ...
currently not at i'm aware of, what's it's for? should we have such a feature?
Old 08 August 2005, 18:14   #29
Marcuz

congrats to the guys, i believe CAPS has been a great part of the process that has rewamped the amiga community (even if it is obviously a little community now compared to what it was), and moreover a big part of the thing that made me get back in actually play amiga games. so thanks and good luck in the new project
Old 08 August 2005, 18:25   #30
Interceptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana
congrats to the guys, i believe CAPS has been a great part of the process that has rewamped the amiga community (even if it is obviously a little community now compared to what it was), and moreover a big part of the thing that made me get back in actually play amiga games. so thanks and good luck in the new project
thanks!

really though, it's not a new project, just a natural progression of the existing one, the Amiga is still supported just as before, we're not going anywhere
Old 08 August 2005, 22:10   #31
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor
currently not at i'm aware of, what's it's for? should we have such a feature?
The Hall Of Light has links from entries to the CAPS site. However, with the updates the links are now broken. For example, Great Giana Sisters links to:

http://www.caps-project.org/games.php?id=2500
Old 09 August 2005, 11:58   #32
Interceptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyJarrett
The Hall Of Light has links from entries to the CAPS site. However, with the updates the links are now broken. For example, Great Giana Sisters links to:

http://www.caps-project.org/games.php?id=2500
aha, i see. it'll have to be Fiath who does that as i dont have access to that portion of the site. he's away for a couple of weeks.

this is really just for completeness i assume? since once it's fixed, you have a link from HOL, to a single line page on softpres.org, that only really has a link back to the HOL page you just came from
Old 23 August 2005, 19:19   #33
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Fiath - can you be of assistance here?
Old 24 August 2005, 10:10   #34
fiath

Comments about SPS name: Yes, all these issues came up. However, we couldn't think of any decent alternative. Feel free to suggest something if you can think of a better one than the ones we did. We found doing so very difficult, I'm sure you will too
Old 24 August 2005, 10:16   #35
fiath

Seems I completely missed this thread when I got back...

Cody: Thanks for the corrections! I'll add the game list you posted today, thanks for that!

About the ID - this is actually the first thing I fixed on getting back from holiday.

Sent something like the following to RCK a few days ago:

Please use this:
http://www.softpres.org/page.php?id=games&gameid=n

where n, is is the game id as before.

Also could you change the logo? New one is here:
http://www.softpres.org/images/banner_sps_small.gif
Old 24 August 2005, 10:18   #36
fiath

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
Another grammar error on the news page:
Fixed, thanks.
Old 24 August 2005, 10:30   #37
fiath

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver
Nope matey CAPS/SPS is not running out of games, i have uploaded many games in my directory on your server, and they still await to be checked !!!

So, what to do ?
Yes, we are running out of games.

Sure we have games to process, but you misunderstand what I meant.

1) I said "we are running out of games". Think of the bigger picture. Sure, you may have submitted games (which is great!). But there are *far* less *good* (not broken, modified, duplicate) Amiga games being submitted now than in any time in CAPS history. In fact, far less. This is though CAPS/SPS is now bigger (as in more well known) than is ever was. The reason? It must be that we are simply running out of Amiga games to do that still exist. There will hopefully always be an inflow of new Amiga games to do, but why not try to do something good from other systems too?

2) When we *started* working on SPS (the generic hardware MFM stuff) there were no dumps left to process. Dumps being submitted after this have been been a bit side-lined, true. It has been very difficult to do both things at once - though we still have, as the releases post the MFM-stuff WIP show.

3) As far as the Amiga is concerned, we needed to do it for dual/tri-format games and Amiga games using "generic hardware MFM" disk format anyway. It is the same amount of (technical) work.
Old 24 August 2005, 10:44   #38
fiath

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff
As for the name, I think a UAE or LAME interpretation would have been just as fine, everyone knows changes are dangerous and almost always end in outsourcing.
Nice idea. However, we have some formal/legal stuff coming up in the future where such names wouldn't really be appropriate. Possible. But not exactly a nice solution for the people we will be pushing our ideas at.