English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 17 January 2013, 13:18   #21
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

I've got a pimped up PPC mofo A1200 and I spend most of the time playing old games and watching 060 demos. The RTGness of the BVision is basically being used to provide a nice hi colour hi res wb that frees up all the chip Ram to allow it to run picky games without a need to boot with no startup.

I enjoyed every bit of pimping it, but I think realistically, when all is said and done, i'd be more than happy with a standard A1200, Blizzard 060, IDEfix express and maybe a Subway. If you want to do a hack or two, cut a hole in the back for a DVD/CD drive, then enjoy all the good stuff on Amiga AGA/060.

PPC aint worth it, not enough of anything, Wipeout 2097 is awesome but runs better on the PSX. OS 4.1 is shit on a classic (the main reason I pimped was the high expectations I had of what OS4.1 classic might be). If you want to do all that NG blox, buy an NG Amiga.
Old 17 January 2013, 14:23   #22
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Hey phips, take it back wo2097 sux on psx :-D

@adonay,

Perhaps try a new project like ng Amiga in a classic Amiga case?

Most of the fun is building everything up and doing the hacks and when you get everything as you like it can be a little 'what next'

I keep refreshing projects for that reason.

If you're here asking then you probably already know you want work on another project and you won't be satisfied till you do!

:-)
Old 17 January 2013, 23:26   #23
adonay
active amiga 1200 user

Send a message via MSN to adonay
Quote:
Originally Posted by phipscube View Post
I've got a pimped up PPC mofo A1200 and I spend most of the time playing old games and watching 060 demos. The RTGness of the BVision is basically being used to provide a nice hi colour hi res wb that frees up all the chip Ram to allow it to run picky games without a need to boot with no startup.

I enjoyed every bit of pimping it, but I think realistically, when all is said and done, i'd be more than happy with a standard A1200, Blizzard 060, IDEfix express and maybe a Subway. If you want to do a hack or two, cut a hole in the back for a DVD/CD drive, then enjoy all the good stuff on Amiga AGA/060.
Now think if you went from your current setup to that "standard" 1200 with a 060. You would always struggle with chip memory after beeing used to a gfx card.

Quote:
PPC aint worth it, not enough of anything, Wipeout 2097 is awesome but runs better on the PSX. OS 4.1 is shit on a classic (the main reason I pimped was the high expectations I had of what OS4.1 classic might be). If you want to do all that NG blox, buy an NG Amiga.
PPC tooltypes are worth a great lot, you can even do "some" basic webbrowsing with a 060 when the ppc render the pictures. There are some other useful things as well .

What is a NG AMIGA (in my opinion)? "next generation" Do you mean those shitty ppc options with out very good backwards compability ? How would i ever call something like that an AMIGA. Amiga clone sure but not the real deal with custom chips.
If anything is NGamiga in my eyes its the FPGA ARCADE, MINIMIG and the if ever netami.

Quote:

Perhaps try a new project like ng Amiga in a classic Amiga case?

Most of the fun is building everything up and doing the hacks and when you get everything as you like it can be a little 'what next'

I keep refreshing projects for that reason.

If you're here asking then you probably already know you want work on another project and you won't be satisfied till you do!

:-)
I have thought allot about this before i wanted to do a amiga 1200 or amiga 500 desktop. With either a mini itx pc board or a Raspberry Pi\minimig.
But with all things in the amiga comunity i cant find any more Keyrah boards for sale ... I guess its best to grab stuf while you can because now it gone,,, And if there will be another production run with ivudual computers is unknown. Thank you for your idea!

some motivation to be found here: http://www.syntaxsociety.se/~bearsoft/pictures/

Old 18 January 2013, 00:38   #24
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I always think if I should sell my A1200/BPPC............. as I never use it. But I always think that I woudn't return all the time and effort I've spent on it. I think I should sell it for about 1500 euros at least.

Anyway what I always use are my A1200/ACA's (1230/56 or 1231/42). I don't have any idea of selling them, and I like using them.

So if you want to keep using real hardware, don't spend much
Old 18 January 2013, 01:47   #25
fishyfish
Banned

Wipeout2097 sucks on PSX? What drugs are you on and can I have some? :P

Seriously, the amiga version being "better" was just another example of games being over-rated and over-hyped towards the end of the amigas commercial life. The psx version is easily the best version around. Amiga version is more a port of the (inferior to psx) pc version, and it runs worse.

It's still an ok game on the amiga/pc, but cant touch the psx version (amiga/pc versions music sucks for starters).
Old 18 January 2013, 10:29   #26
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

HAHA! Steve! The GFX do look shite on PSX compared to the higer res Amiga, but for smoothness and playability (and music like Fishyfish says) The PSX version trounces it. Its a very cool game to fire up at shows/gatherings and make non Amiga folks treble-take, then start sniffing around for the hidden PC. I do have fun with the PPC side of things when "showing off".

@adonay. I may well miss the chip mem luxury, but is a BVPPC and BPPC worth all that? Yes, the PPC isn't COMPLETELY useless, but its not worth the money you would spend to have those little tweaks. And as far as web browsing is concerned, no way, not on the Amiga, I gave right up on that. I only use my inbuilt NIC for accessing Aminet to download directly, and that's it. No matter how optimised the Amiga is made to surf on the net (Cammy's Amiga's are the most awesome i've seen at doing this) you will still get some "day to day" full stops... like accessing webbank for example. I can see how some folks like to use the Amiga to surf "because you can" and for fun, but I can't be arsed.

I've generally been all upgrade-hyper-lets-get-OS-4.1-running! and now completely gone backwards to all the classic stuff. I actually LOVE pulling out the Vanilla A600 and wopping a floppy disk in for that good old nostalgia.

All that incompatibility you talk about on the NG Amigas you will get on the classic OS 4.1 ONLY WORSE! why?

- You cant run ANY classic software that is WB illegal or uses the custom chips (ie 99% of classic stuff)

- It doesn't work with WHDload, If you want to run WHDLoad you have to run it in EUAE.

- you have to EMULATE 68k (and chipset) even though there is a fooking 68k 060 chip (and AGA chipset) smacking it in the face and saying "use me you dumb shit!" and because the JIT emulator is pants and needs near 800MHz to properly give you correct speeds so your hyper waku-waku pimped to F*** 330MHz BPPC is gonna run like a slug no matter what.

- Native OS 4 software also needs around 800MHz AND a Radeon AT LEAST to run ANYTHING nice (so if you run a Radeon in a tower you might be okish on some lesser tasking sw). The only option you have for a wedge is BVPPC, which balks completely. Also Warp3D emulation runs like cack on the BVPPC, so you can't even run OS3.x PPC games or apps that use Warp3D. For example, WO2097 is GREAT in the menu, but as soon as you load the level in, you get mr blocky pixel head attak. The Warp3D emulation for BVPPC is apparently "Beta" i'd more say pre-alpha (i.e. shouldn't be even released in its dead dog state).

Sorry for the rant, but really do not do what I did, and make an uber awesome machine in the vein hope that PPC and OS4.1 will justify it (I did have fun making it, but I really want to use it too). If you want to do it for the fun of hacking then fine, just don't have any wild expectations of the "NG" part of PPC. Like I say, you are better off with a real NG Amiga, I didn't say that would be perfect either, I'm still trying to find a good reason to buy even the cheapest micro A1. but its a darn sight better than the fancy-WB-not-much-else OS 4.1 classic.

Last edited by phipscube; 18 January 2013 at 10:37.
Old 18 January 2013, 11:15   #27
roy bates

yep,i agree with you phipscube mate.

thats why i stuck with an 060 based system,years ago they should of just kept the ppc as a floating point unit for rendering and thats when it was os 4
whats the point of ppc if the os is so damn expensive and useless,and cant access the 68k cpu?!?
and then they have the cheek to say its for classic amigas

i'll stick to 060 and no further,its just not worth it you need at least an 800mhz machine for it to be usefull.
Old 18 January 2013, 11:22   #28
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipscube View Post
- you have to EMULATE 68k (and chipset) even though there is a fooking 68k 060 chip (and AGA chipset) smacking it in the face and saying "use me you dumb shit!" and because the JIT emulator is pants and needs near 800MHz to properly give you correct speeds so your hyper waku-waku pimped to F*** 330MHz BPPC is gonna run like a slug no matter what.
That part of your post made my day
Old 18 January 2013, 12:56   #29
adonay
active amiga 1200 user

To be honest i dont see why people would even try to use os4(4,1) on a classic computer . Like you say it cant run anything that bangs the chipset, jit is an option but like you said it does not run all that well on a ppc under 800mhz. I never had or will have any hopes of running os4 that time has passed and wont be going there again.

The problem with the amiga 1200 is that the only gfx option for a "wedge" is that bvison. To bad nobody never made another acc board with a small cool ati chip or something.
I have never really felt that the permedia chip was any great but with the medaitor and a tower the amiga was usefull (3d performance was not all "that" bad either). I cant remember my intel 233mhz with a voodoo card being that much faster.
I hear you say in your rant about not using the amiga on the web, well all i can say is that you dont use it for netbank or heavily scripted pages.
But for forums and download pages that are not only aminet works fine. Its faster to download direct in stead of walking up to your pc and do it from there then transfer the files to you amiga with those awesome ide speeds.
Old 18 January 2013, 13:28   #30
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

With OS3.9 its ok. I can justify my BV and PPC, but I still barely use them other than tweaks like nice WB, WarpDT, odd game and mega demo (not many for PPC but some niceish ones). So ok, if you want to have that little luxury added to OS3.9 and don't mind spending the large amount of money then you'll be good

And speaking of a Radeon based solution for us wedgies, yes, why one hasn't been made is beyond me! I think its simply down to the lack of potential customers. Its easy with big box Amigas as they just use standard PC cards.

I have my eye on the UltimatePPC guys.... I hope they might one day make an awesome PPC accelerator for A1200 as well, and make it powerful enough to make even OS4.1 Classic run well. To be honest, its not really the fault of Classic OS 4.1, its just a system designed for a much higer spec shoehorned onto something that will never work right.

It is honestly a massive achievement to even get it working on classic HW. I'm just balls on realistic and even though i've spend waaay too much on it, will not blind myself to the fact that its utter shite in real working, and its not even worth giving away. I only justify the cost I outlayed because some talented guys gave it a shot, so i'm happy they got my money. If we suddenly get a 1GHz processor and Mobile Radeon, and a seamless emulation solution built into the OS then we are looking at a whole new story with OS 4.1 Classic
Old 18 January 2013, 14:20   #31
adonay
active amiga 1200 user

Quote:
I have my eye on the UltimatePPC guys.... I hope they might one day make an awesome PPC accelerator for A1200 as well, and make it powerful enough to make even OS4.1 Classic run well. To be honest, its not really the fault of Classic OS 4.1, its just a system designed for a much higer spec shoehorned onto something that will never work right.
I have had my eye on these guys as well. Their hardware design is interesting but their choice of ppc may not fit os4 as i recall someone saying.
It will be something nice to put in my a4kd if it still works after all these years in storage.
However my hopes are slim as they will have problems writing code for either powerup or worpos as i think those are closed source only . They will also have problems getting a warp3d driver to work as its the same story there. For me a WOS\PUP capable system makes the most sense ..

Quote:
nd speaking of a Radeon based solution for us wedgies, yes, why one hasn't been made is beyond me! I think its simply down to the lack of potential customers. Its easy with big box Amigas as they just use standard PC cards.
The customer base is there i am sure, why is it that everything made for amiga 1200 these days seem to be sold out quickly . Look at the new ACA boards for example they are all gone only the brand new slow ones are left. Indivision m1 could not meet the demand so he produced the second revision. What about subway usb ... gone ... tower cases ...gone... all sold out . Someone is buying all this stuff... And lets not forget what people are willing to pay for 20 year old acc boards used...

Last edited by adonay; 18 January 2013 at 14:52.
Old 18 January 2013, 15:46   #32
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

@Posters original question. Sure why the hell not, if building another Amiga makes you happy then I say go for it! It seems us Amiga lovers are a strange bunch, the level of devotion to these now ancient machines (well by modern standards) is incredible. I wonder if this level of love and dedication will exist for the Iphone in years to come?
Old 18 January 2013, 17:49   #33
Cpt. Hindsight

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofchaos View Post
@Posters original question. Sure why the hell not, if building another Amiga makes you happy then I say go for it! It seems us Amiga lovers are a strange bunch, the level of devotion to these now ancient machines (well by modern standards) is incredible. I wonder if this level of love and dedication will exist for the Iphone in years to come?
I hope none of the Apple evangelists is reading here.
Old 18 January 2013, 18:40   #34
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Hindsight View Post
I hope none of the Apple evangelists is reading here.
If you speak their name they will come....
Old 18 January 2013, 19:42   #35
adonay
active amiga 1200 user

Oh dear god who will ever care for a iphone 20 years from now .
I think the amiga is like a old sportscar or a old collectable in some way.
It may not be the greatest by to days standard but back in the day it was the bomb or at-leased we thought so and newer got away from that.