English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 20 October 2018, 16:15   #21
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Thanks for the tips Damien. I switched to that version of the Supaplex image and managed to get into the game, but most of the sprites are cut in half and are generally glitchy. I hung around anyway to see what happened... and nothing did. It's not so messed up I wouldn't be able to spot an idle animation so I don't know what's going on there. I might have to skip this one unfortunately.

Thanks for all the extra suggestions. I've found quite a few of my own too so will include those.

Yes Gzegzolka, I mentioned that further up, and have fixed it for the next vid. Strange because I captured some of the apple animation, then accidentally lopped it off with Avidemux. That really doesn't like WinUAE's output btw. The preview video is obscured by black and white ghosting and double vision (pic attached). Despite that the saved clips are fine. Maybe Toni knows something about that? I have all the necessary codecs installed.

I've also noticed that WinUAE is losing some of the music so I'm adding that back in myself using the OSTs. Other games don't include music at all so I'm rewriting history.

I'm not sure about Simba or the later levels of Brian the Lion. We could be waiting a very long time if I have to actually make progress in all these games to capture the footage. I'm hardly a pro gamer. ...and I don't suppose there would be much idle time in the longplays.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Avidemux.png
Views:	103
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	60358  
Old 20 October 2018, 19:10   #22
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Hmm, I'm not having much luck with the WIP games. I fired up Agricola, waited... and waited... and waited. Nothing happened. This was an early preview demo so maybe there's another later one?

I've got an HD version of Gamer and it won't boot. I load it up in Workbench, double-click the folder and it's empty. I know the animation you mean though - I've seen a video of it.

What's Pati? Never heard of it.
Old 20 October 2018, 19:53   #23
Gzegzolka

As for Agricola I have checked harddisk version from AGTW. As for Gamer I do not remember where I have found it, but also I run it from my winuae A1200 harddisk configuration. Pati is platform game that was previewed in 1998, I found it on EAB ftp, but I am sure there was also a copy on aminet on game/demo category.
Old 20 October 2018, 20:26   #24
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamkatcha View Post
Thanks for the tips Damien. I switched to that version of the Supaplex image and managed to get into the game, but most of the sprites are cut in half and are generally glitchy. I hung around anyway to see what happened... and nothing did. It's not so messed up I wouldn't be able to spot an idle animation so I don't know what's going on there. I might have to skip this one unfortunately.
No problem

...but not sure I understand what you mean in regards to "but most of the sprites are cut in half and are generally glitchy".

Here's how it looks for me and I've never noticed any glitches:

Old 20 October 2018, 20:49   #25
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

I'll have to save a screenshot when I get back home on Monday. It's as if someone is holding a piece of black paper up over half the sprites and then whipping it away again to give a flickering effect. Very odd.

I tried the ADF version of Agricola from AGTW so maybe that's the difference. I'll give the HD one a go.

I've found Pati on Aminet, cheers. The full title is Pati's Dream and it's by Krzysztof Dubowik. You win the award for the most obscure suggestion!
Old 21 October 2018, 10:58   #26
Dan

Here are few more:
Popeye/Bignonia - Turning to camera, then posing.
Adventures of Robin Hood: Beside of going to the events, following people, he occasionally walk over to practice bow shooting or rest there.
Old 21 October 2018, 22:01   #27
Gzegzolka

I have looked into my WHD collection and here is what I find:
Baby Jo - he sucks his finger
Bubble and Squeak - boy do many different things, play with rubber ball
Charlie J Cool - looking at player and tapping his feet
Entity - heroine looks randomly at her hands and at player
Erick - simple eye blink
Fatman Capped Consumer - he start to eat chicken legs and throw bones
Furry of the Furries - furrball looks at player and do many differet face expressions
Harlequin - no idle animation, but after runing he heavy breathing for a while
Indigo - looking at player and moving hid hand
Jimmys Fantastic Journey - looking at player, talking and blinking
Liquid Kids - one frame of staring at his aqua ball
Marvelous Marving - looking at player, blinking and jogging
Odyssey - heavy breathing
Pierre is out to lunch - random eye blink
Pinkie - start dancing after standing
Prophecy Viking Child - one frame eye blinking
Ruffian - doing many silly things
Scobby and Scrappy Doo - tapping his feet and playing gameboy
Super Cauldron - tapping leg
Super Methane Bross - simple eye blink
Titus the Fox - single frame looking at player
Woodys World - simple eye blinking

Virocop - well it is not platform game, but I remember that if You left Dave for a while he will have some idle animation, rotating his head and releasing steam or something like that.

Last edited by Gzegzolka; 22 October 2018 at 07:14.
Old 22 October 2018, 22:10   #28
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Wow, you really kick botty Gzegzolka! Great job!

I've captured all those now. It doesn't matter if they're not all platformers, and Virocop does indeedy release steam if you leave him alone.

Thanks Dan. You could fill a whole video with Robin Hood clips alone. That's a brilliant example. Got the Popeye sample too.
Old 23 October 2018, 14:53   #29
TEOL

Lemmings 2 is full of them even has a musical notes skill where Lemmings are forced to stay idle and dance to the music of their differnt tribes in their tribes way of dancing and Uncle Bulgaria Lemming is idle in his chair in the intro snoring plus they stop and do idle animations before most of the 60+ skills in the sequal.

Mr. Nutz has a second as an in water death one.

Nobody has dared to tread this topic before with games in the 4 digits and disks in the 5 digits but the Dream from the AMIGO's YouTube finally has it covered.

Bet you can't find every Demoscene multidisk intro ever and make a series of all of them.

Last edited by TEOL; 23 October 2018 at 15:05.
Old 23 October 2018, 16:04   #30
Gordon
Settler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopoCop View Post
Pushover: don't move and after a while ant starts to say "Hi!".
And if he has a domino in his hand, he puts it down after a few seconds.

Great video by the way. Always loved the Jimmy Whites Snooker/Archer Macleans Pool goading balls
Old 25 October 2018, 01:24   #31
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Thanks Gordon. I saw your post after posting the new video so the domino dropping animation didn't make it, sorry.

LOL. Thanks for the fanfare, TEOL. Anyone would think I'd cured cancer!

I'll have to look into Lemmings 2 separately and see if I can make an event of it somehow. I've not played it for years so have no idea how hard it would be to trigger all those quirky animations. Do Lemmings stay still long enough to have idle routines? I'm fixating on the blockers, and even they're not really idle since they're on guard.

I know there are some pretty long demo compilation videos already on YouTube so I'm not sure if I could add anything new in that dept. Maybe some really obscure stuff.

Anyway, the sequel is now online. Enjoy!

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 27 October 2018, 10:09   #32
PopoCop

I was wrong about idle anim in Supaplex (I played it ages ago so forgive me). But this idle anim exists in PC and Spectrum versions!
Old 27 October 2018, 11:10   #33
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Oh well, no harm done. At least now I know how to get the game running. Maybe it'll help someone else.

I'll have to track down the anim in the other versions. I'm curious now.
Old 27 October 2018, 12:50   #34
PopoCop

Here's the Spectrum version.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	supaplex_idle_zx.gif
Views:	130
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	60447  
Old 27 October 2018, 18:07   #35
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Nice attention to detail there from the devs. Shame that wasn't carried over in the Amiga version. Well not in that dept. anyway. It seems like a decent Boulderdash clone otherwise.
Old 27 October 2018, 18:15   #36
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Anyway, the sequel is now online. Enjoy!
Just watched this

I've sent you a PM containing a link to a working .HDF for Hare Raising Havoc; created by yours truly
Old 30 October 2018, 21:10   #37
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzegzolka View Post
Gamer - quick single "naughty" animation.
Thanks for the suggestion of "Gamer" Gzegzolka

...this is a pretty cool [unreleased] game; and one I'll be adding into my collection shortly.

Nothing on HOL about this either

Quote:
I've got an HD version of Gamer and it won't boot. I load it up in Workbench, double-click the folder and it's empty. I know the animation you mean though - I've seen a video of it.
In the [unreleased] Amiga games... thread you will find the a self-booting / bare bones .HDF here

Just use a standard "A1200 - 2MB Chip RAM" configuration; don't add Fast RAM though as the game doesn't like it i.e. music is messed up.

Last edited by DamienD; 30 October 2018 at 21:26.
Old 31 October 2018, 12:53   #38
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Cheers, that will make it easier. Gamer does look like a great game - it was really frustrating only booting up these images for a few seconds and forcing myself not to actually play them.

If it ever did get released I think that name would have to go though. It's about as generic as you could find... and not good for Google keywording.

I did get it running in the end to capture the idle anim. What I'd done is made the schoolboy error of not telling Workbench to show all files so the folder appeared to be empty.