English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 10 October 2018, 21:44   #2861
AMIGASYSTEM

Ciao Peter if you are interested in AROS, the info.datatype has been created that allows you to modify the graphic part of the native Amiga icons (Glow Icons and PNG) with the excellent ZunePaint; the OS4 icons are unfortunately not seen well

I asked the developer of ZunePaint the possibility to save in the same format, hopefully well, at the moment they can be saved in PNG

http://aros-exec.org/modules/newbb/v...orumpost110020

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 10 October 2018 at 22:17.
Old 10 October 2018, 23:24   #2862
PeterK

Thanks for the info, Carlo. But I must admit that I'm not an icon designer, due to my lags of creativity, skills and my lazyness. I did never ever create a single good looking icon.

There are already two TrueColor icon editors for OS4 available which support OS4 and PNG icons, but I never really used them yet except for some compatibility tests to check my icons.

On OS 3.9 I have the icon.datatype installed, which can load OS 3.5 icons and OS4 icons, which have been converted by my lib. PNG icons are never a problem, since any png.datatype can load them. PPaint can also handle icons, even with both images.
Old 10 October 2018, 23:42   #2863
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post

There are already two TrueColor icon editors for OS4 available which support OS4 and PNG icons, but I never really used them yet except for some compatibility tests to check my icons.
Yes, I use Icon Editor OS4 to reduce the icons to be used on AfA OS, see screenshots

Even I am not a graphic artist sometimes I enjoy cutting out some images and creating icons Dual-PNG for some games but nothing more,my two children are good at the same time 3D graphics (started with DeluxPaint)

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 17 October 2018 at 08:49.
Old 14 October 2018, 00:09   #2864
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
I've tested with Ken's Icons v4, that are PNG TrueColor icons and they need, of course, much much longer for uncompressing and color reduction than OS 3.5 ColorIcons. ....

Maybe, I should try to switch off the color reduction of the 1. image for OS4 and PNG icons in HAM6/8 mode to get more speed.
I've just tried that with TC020 and HM020 now and it gives indeed a speed boost of 20-25 % for each image. Unfortunately, I can not do it without the color reduction for the 2. image, because that is always required by WB for icon dragging. But maybe it works 40-50 % faster with DOpus5, which has its own dragging routines. However, there are still a lot of small difficulties that have to be solved.
Old 18 October 2018, 21:45   #2865
PeterK

Update to icon.library 46.4.504:

This update brings a big speed improvement for TC020, HM020 and hm020, because I've disabled the slow color reduction for OS4 and PNG icons wherever possible when Hi/TrueColor, Ham8 or HAM6 screens are used. Some modes are loading icons twice as fast from the Ram Disk now. The only slow thing is when Workbench updates icons which have been moves around. Please report any problems.

On DOpus5 it's recommended to use my "DOnoColormapping" command and enable the "custom dragging routines" for best speed. If you want to use other monitor drivers for HAM like SuperPlus, HighGFX or Xtreme, I would recommend to install my MemTrailer patch in case that FreeMem() Gurus are caused by DOpus5. http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/MemTrailer

The speed improvements for loading icons from hard-disk are, of course, not as big as from Ram Disk and 3.1.4 seems to be slower than OS 3.9 (no sorry, the "idle"-slider in WinUAE was moved to the right).

Strange silence, nobody seems to notice any speed boost.
I would be glad to get some feedback from real Amiga users concerning their experience with TrueColor and HAM modes.

Last edited by PeterK; Yesterday at 17:03.