English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 23 August 2006, 18:44   #1
extentofmysin

Hooooo Gods (platformer).......

does anyone know what version of the game was shown on the uk television show GamesMaster, series 2 episode 'Gladiator Challenge', from back in 1992?
possibly the pc version or cd32 if there was one, but not entirely sure.. anyone??
Old 23 August 2006, 18:51   #2
DamienD
Banned

Hmmm, there is no CD32 version as far as I'm aware. Only the Amiga ECS / OCS version: http://hol.abime.net/2754/screenshot

As for which one was shown on the show i.e. Amiga or PC I'm not sure
Old 23 August 2006, 18:56   #3
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Another gods question: Has somebody an uncracked pc diskimage of the game?
Old 23 August 2006, 19:11   #4
extentofmysin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD
Hmmm, there is no CD32 version as far as I'm aware. Only the Amiga ECS / OCS version: http://hol.abime.net/2754/screenshot
As for which one was shown on the show i.e. Amiga or PC I'm not sure
I think the game on the show looked slightly better than the Amiga versions i tried a fair while back. The player also had a computer joystick and not a 16-bit joypad, so most likely was the pc version and not console- unless anyone else can verify... thanks for the reply though

According to the wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gods_%28video_game%29
Gods came out on the

Amiga
DOS
Atari ST
Acorn Archimedes
MD/Gen
SNES

I'm not sure which wouldve been the best graphically.. was the ST better for audio and the amiga for graphics, or the other way around? I cant remember, I guess it all depended on what model you had anyway, haha... so pointless comparing in that sense
Old 23 August 2006, 19:15   #5
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by extentofmysin
I'm not sure which wouldve been the best graphically.. was the ST better for audio and the amiga for graphics, or the other way around?
Amiga would have probably been best for both graphics and sound (unless it was a straight port from the Atari ST). Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

The PC version would have been pretty rubbish back then as they were way behind the Amiga's capabilities. In fact I think I also played it on a PC around 1992 and this was definitely the case
Old 23 August 2006, 19:18   #6
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
I'm not sure which wouldve been the best graphically.. was the ST better for audio and the amiga for graphics, or the other way around?
Haha, definitive not. The ST soundchip was weaker than the C-64 SID chip. Only a soundwizard like Jochen Hippel was talented enough to produce good ST tunes.
Old 23 August 2006, 19:26   #7
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD
Amiga would have probably been best for both graphics and sound (unless it was a straight port from the Atari ST). Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

The PC version would have been pretty rubbish back then as they were way behind the Amiga's capabilities. In fact I think I also played it on a PC around 1992 and this was definitely the case
Gods Amiga version has a copper-effect whereas PC version has a plain blue sky. The number of colors seems to be the same (as opposed to Flashback which is more colorful on PC).

I'd say the best version is the SNES version (double playfield), then Amiga, then PC version.

And anyway this is the best platformer ever IMHO
Old 23 August 2006, 19:26   #8
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd
Haha, definitive not. The ST soundchip was weaker than the C-64 SID chip. Only a soundwizard like Jochen Hippel was talented enough to produce good ST tunes.
Atari ST graphics look the same though (at least in still images)

http://www.atarilegend.com/games/gam....php?game_id=1
Old 23 August 2006, 19:30   #9
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd
I'd say the best version is the SNES version (double playfield), then Amiga, then PC version.
Thanks for the information jotd. I have the SNES version, needed to give it a try I think
Old 23 August 2006, 19:33   #10
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd
Gods Amiga version has a copper-effect whereas PC version has a plain blue sky. The number of colors seems to be the same (as opposed to Flashback which is more colorful on PC).

And anyway this is the best platformer ever IMHO
I've tested the ST version a minute ago, only the first level. Look pretty close to the amiga. It has the same blurry scrolling in an emulator like Wolfchild. Was this a 25 Hz game, Jean?
Old 23 August 2006, 21:48   #11
Qube

I can't recall seeing the clip of Gods on GM, but it's likely the SNES version if it was very colourful (the main sprite gives the game away - purple?). The PC version has a dire blue sky, the ST version did a raster job to get a similar effect to the Amiga copper list. The SNES/Genesis version also has some different level background gfx, with that parallax layer, plus they ran quicker and allowed jump direction change. Overall the Amiga had the best sound samples I think (plus that intro track of course), even if it did not have the in-game music of the consoles.

Talking of Gods, I think I remember seeing an early beta on the ITV show Motormouth once, which also had Magic Pockets as a phone-game I believe. I'm sure the Bitmaps were on there messing about with a level designer tool, allowing them to drop objects in etc. Also, the early Herc had a speedballer helmet (some early mag shots showed this).

Q;

ps. Bitmap trivia - there is also an early mag shot of Chaos Engine showing bat-like creatures on World 2, which never made it!
Old 23 August 2006, 21:53   #12
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

When somebody need "The Bitmap Brothers Compilation", here it is. The PC version, BIN & CUE.

http://.de/files/30499925/BMB-Comp.rar.html
Old 23 August 2006, 23:28   #13
aldo

Old 24 August 2006, 02:00   #14
extentofmysin

heres the GamesMaster challenge for Myth- see if anyone can work
out what format its on from the video (its divx and decent quality):

Click here for the GamesMaster Myth challenge!
(and then on free at the bottom of the page after that)...and enjoy! lol
Old 24 August 2006, 03:51   #15
BippyM
Global Moderator

guys rpidshare is shit!

Using something else like.. email to me and I'll FTP em or chuck em on my webspace for a few days
Old 24 August 2006, 05:02   #16
Ultron
Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qube
Talking of Gods, I think I remember seeing an early beta on the ITV show Motormouth once, which also had Magic Pockets as a phone-game I believe. I'm sure the Bitmaps were on there messing about with a level designer tool, allowing them to drop objects in etc. Also, the early Herc had a speedballer helmet (some early mag shots showed this).

Q;

ps. Bitmap trivia - there is also an early mag shot of Chaos Engine showing bat-like creatures on World 2, which never made it!
By the magical beard of the holy peanut! I'd love to see this...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qube
Also, the early Herc had a speedballer helmet (some early mag shots showed this).
Oh, by the way, it wasn't a speedball helmet, it was simply that the Hero was not supposed to have a pony tail, but once the cover art made by Bisley came in, it looked so cool with one in, that it was inserted in, at already pretty late stages of game design.

Last edited by BippyM; 24 August 2006 at 08:26. Reason: use edit button wherever possible
Old 24 August 2006, 08:24   #17
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
heres the GamesMaster challenge for Myth- see if anyone can work
out what format its on from the video (its divx and decent quality):

(and then on free at the bottom of the page after that)...and enjoy! lol
Its a great video clip, but this is DEFINATELY the Amiga version!.
Old 24 August 2006, 12:21   #18
extentofmysin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym
guys rpidshare is shit!
haha- I think its a relatively small clip though for most people, so it should download within 5 to 10 minutes on a broadband connection. With a really large video the speed on so would no doubt decrease to around 1 kbps and youd be waiting a couple of years at the end of the file for half a megabyte...(!) but it seems fast enough here with GM. If you want to host it yourself, thanks, it should stay on for a while yet if you need it, but I didnt know of any other free file sharing hosts that were any better I could use, without having to either wait 30 secs before the download or pay instead...

GamesMaster
Old 24 August 2006, 12:39   #19
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
but I didnt know of any other free file sharing hosts that were any better I could use, without having to either wait 30 secs before the download or pay instead
Personally I use FileFactory the most as there is now no waiting, no popups and it seems to be the fastest for uploading / downloading: http://www.filefactory.com

There are loads of others as well but I haven't found them to be as good as FileFactory:
http://www.yousendit.com/
http://www.megaupload.com/
http://www.turboupload.com/
http://www.yourfilehost.com/
http://www.mofile.net/en/index.do

For me is the worst (unless you have a "Premium" account) as after downloading a file you need to wait a considerable amount of time before getting the next file
Old 24 August 2006, 13:43   #20
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Ah lalalala, the worst thing to me is that none of you tried to find a tool/program to avoid the timer !!!

I have find one that i will post in the zone tonight. It resets automatically
the time counter and you'll then be able to download as much as you like.