English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 15 July 2013, 22:38   #1
source
Zone Friend

Icons don't display properly.

I was wondering if anyone out there could help me get rid of the magenta background that is displayed on the icons in YAM or Ibrowse.

Thanks
Old 16 July 2013, 00:24   #2
emufan

you should be able to change the mui-settings of iBrowse.
ibrowse -> preferences -> mui ...
on my 800x600 rtg screen i cannot see this "preferences" entry in menu strip - maybe font problem here.
i have no idea what is the tool-name of the menu-tool , which is shown on the left - shows menus of current programs as a drop down-menu.

attach a screenshot of the margenta icons, maybe one could identify the region and options in mui-settings - to change them
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ibrowse.png
Views:	265
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	36071  
Old 16 July 2013, 01:33   #3
James

This is a PNG alpha transparency issue. If your system cannot support alpha transparency you will have to change the images.

To display them correctly you need RTG and a datatype that supports alpha transparency, like WarpPNG or akPNG. Even then you may have problems. It wont work with Dopus5 and only partially works on my P96 WinUAE setup. It appears to be fully working on my A1500/CV643D/CGX4...
Old 16 July 2013, 01:47   #4
source
Zone Friend

So it I because I am using dopus as workbench replacement?
Old 16 July 2013, 01:53   #5
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
Yes...

(Or at least one of the reasons... )
Old 16 July 2013, 02:13   #6
source
Zone Friend

So in order to get the icons to display properly, I would need to stop using dopus as workbench replacement or convert all the images over to another format?
Old 16 July 2013, 17:28   #7
emufan

is it related to workbench-icons? if so, you can try PeterKs icon.library.
this was my first thought, reading "icons" - so mybe it will help.

Edit: attached a picture i get with normal wb 3.1. you are talking about the magenta color in "available buttons" ?
AmigaSys comes with some single-file-gif-buttons for IBrowse. they look good here, i've attached them. they sit in IBrowse/Images folder. if you want try.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ibrowse.png
Views:	243
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	36074  
Attached Files
File Type: zip ibrowse-images.zip (16.7 KB, 159 views)

Last edited by emufan; 16 July 2013 at 18:06.
Old 16 July 2013, 18:27   #8
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Quote:
Yes...

(Or at least one of the reasons... )
This is, well, utter nonsense. IBrowse or YAM are completely independent from DOpus. Running DOpus in parallel does not influence how images are displayed in any way.

Quote:
So in order to get the icons to display properly, I would need to stop using dopus as workbench replacement or convert all the images over to another format?
No, it won't change anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
is it related to workbench-icons?
No, it isn't. It's like James explained in his first post: it's related to PNG images with alpha channel and how different datatypes handle (or don't handle) the alpha channel.
Old 16 July 2013, 19:49   #9
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
No, it isn't. It's like James explained in his first post: it's related to PNG images with alpha channel and how different datatypes handle (or don't handle) the alpha channel.
ok, i was confused by the term icons a bit. perhaps the icon-images may help source.
Old 17 July 2013, 00:45   #10
source
Zone Friend

Sorry for the confusion with me using icons. It is as the ibrowse photo from emufan. As for the Dopus - I am running it as a workbench replacement. Is it just a problem with one of my data types? Thanks for the replies.
Old 17 July 2013, 01:27   #11
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I would try with WarpDT. You can try them (datatypes) before registering.

http://www.warpdt.co.uk/

If it doesn't work, try changing the Mui preferences or perhaps your amount of colors or your Fullpalette preferences.
Old 17 July 2013, 02:38   #12
James

Quote:
This is, well, utter nonsense. IBrowse or YAM are completely independent from DOpus. Running DOpus in parallel does not influence how images are displayed in any way.
Yes, you are right, I came to this assumption (always a bad thing) because I could not get it to work on AmiKIT even though it works on my AfA WB. Both use akPNG and the one big obvious difference was that AmiKIT used DOpus 5... But I should have tested it further before jumping to conclusions, I have just installed WarpPNG on AmiKIT and it is working. So it seems that akPNG does not work in some conditions. (I did switch the variable to Alpha=GOOD).

Apologies to Source for any confusion. Based on the problems I have found with akPNG I would also recommend WarpPNG (WarpDT).

Quote:
At least I got something right.
Old 17 July 2013, 03:19   #13
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

What I've seen is that some icons AmiKit uses look darker (worse) on AmiKit Real with WarpPNG. See the "Favourites" icon for example.
Old 17 July 2013, 07:56   #14
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Yes, you are right, I came to this assumption (always a bad thing) because I could not get it to work on AmiKIT even though it works on my AfA WB. Both use akPNG and the one big obvious difference was that AmiKIT used DOpus 5... But I should have tested it further before jumping to conclusions, I have just installed WarpPNG on AmiKIT and it is working. So it seems that akPNG does not work in some conditions. (I did switch the variable to Alpha=GOOD).

Apologies to Source for any confusion. Based on the problems I have found with akPNG I would also recommend WarpPNG (WarpDT).
I think that both AK and Warp datatypes support the alpha channel. The major problem is that the super class, picture.datatype, does not preserve it. That's why it works on AfA, but not on 3.x.

Maybe that WarpDT converts the alpha channel into a mask (each pixel either fully transparent or fully opaque, no partial transparency). This should work with any picture.datatype, but does not give the full quality if alpha is supported (i.e. with AfA).
Old 17 July 2013, 08:37   #15
PeterK

Sometimes this magenta background is just caused by a broken file or wrong version of palette.prefs. Try to reset to the defaults in /prefs/Palette and then save.

If you are using Warp datatypes then don't rely on the last free versions, because they still have many bugs. Try out the latest releases from Oliver Roberts' homepage or from the Aminet.