English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 13 March 2003, 11:37   #1
Mr Softy

Send a message via ICQ to Mr Softy Send a message via MSN to Mr Softy
Big grin Amiga Coding: where to begin?

First of all, I have to say that I don't know shit about any form of programming, on any machine.
That said, the workbench was the first OS with a GUI I've ever seen in my life, and while I was playing my little games, I felt that Ultimate Power was lurking behind the screen. But I was too lazy to learn anything, and I skipped.

Now I'd like to start learning a few things, and I need a basic, introductive ressource on the web where I could see the whats and ifs of Amiga coding. Something *very* simple, for the guy that knows nothing!

Maybe I'll never do anything out of that, but I want to know!
Thanks..
Old 13 March 2003, 13:09   #2
Pyromania

What language did you want to learn? C?

http://www.hh.se/stud/d98rolb/programming.html

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

Perl?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

Rebol?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...430517-2395167
Old 13 March 2003, 13:59   #3
kriz

I want to programm the amiga too !!!!

Tought a lot about assembler before, but as im waiting for the aOne C or C++ would be good to know ...
Old 13 March 2003, 14:05   #4
Mr Softy

Smile

thanks for the links, i'll take a peep later.
Old 13 March 2003, 15:27   #5
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
ok, for a simple programmimg language (that gives full easy access to the amiga system libraries and supports asm) try AmiBlitz (latest update came out yesterday ).

http://www.blitz-2000.co.uk/

Download the full version, there are loads of utils / code examples / docs on that site and AmiBlitz is FREE

Then grab the Latest update here: http://www.david-mcminn.co.uk/bernd/
Old 13 March 2003, 16:18   #6
Pyromania

Good links Severin, AmiBliz will give Mr Softy a nice start to his programming dreams. Ahhh the language that created Super Skidmarks, Guardian ans mant more.

Old 13 March 2003, 16:39   #7
Mr Softy

Yeah I remember this... skidmarks was made with this blitz basic language.. A french mag called Amiga Dream once gave the Blitz Basic "app" or something with one of their coverdisk, and it's not impossible that I still have it somewhere... and they had this "blitz code of the month" section... I'll check it out...
Old 13 March 2003, 21:55   #8
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I thought the Skidmarks games were done in AMOS...did they change to Blitz for SSM?
Old 13 March 2003, 21:58   #9
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

None of the Acid games were done in AMOS. Acid wrote Blitz Basic itself, so they wouldn't use AMOS to do games like Skidmarks!
Old 13 March 2003, 22:52   #10
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

OK, OK - it's been many years since I ever even thought about it. I'm sure I knew back when it came out...maybe I was just confusing the color of the track dirt with that flashing orange screen on so many AMOS games...
Old 13 March 2003, 23:58   #11
Severin

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Softy
Yeah I remember this... skidmarks was made with this blitz basic language.. A french mag called Amiga Dream once gave the Blitz Basic "app" or something with one of their coverdisk, and it's not impossible that I still have it somewhere... and they had this "blitz code of the month" section... I'll check it out...
Don't bother with the coverdisk, it's really out of date (even in amiga terms ), Amiblitz IS BlitzBasic released under the GPL license. the name change was because of the PC version. I suppose they though amiga users could handle a name change, whereas PC users would just get confused

Add Worms and Worms DC to the Blitz games list
Old 14 March 2003, 05:29   #12
Calen

add Gloom to the list also

Umm I bought the blitz cd for Amiga years ago but never really used it, must hoke it out and try her out...if i can find it
Old 15 March 2003, 22:47   #13
Amiga1992

There are some Amiga Format issues (40 and on methinks), that came with an Amiga ASM tutorial ran by the men from Bullfrog. Teh coverdisks brought Devpac 2 and lots of files from teh tut. You might want to track all this down, I have some issues and it was quite an easy tutorial to get you started!
Old 12 April 2003, 14:26   #14
staticgerbil

I just jumped on the net now to look for blitz. Cheers for the link. Is it better than AMOS? That and devpac are the only languages i have used for the amiga.

I also have one or two of the mags with the bullfrog asm tutorial in it. It was a great start to assembly for me. Is devpac now freeware to? The disc I got on the cover of the first mag of the tutorial is stuffed and I can't find the "safe place" my backup of it is
Old 12 April 2003, 14:52   #15
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Floppy disk

Quote:
Originally posted by staticgerbil
The disc I got on the cover of the first mag of the tutorial is stuffed and I can't find the "safe place" my backup of it is
It's in the zone along with the other 4 Amiga Format Bullfrog tutorial coverdisks. That should keep you busy for a while.

I've also uploaded the latest version of Devpac (3.18) complete with the Commodore v3.1 includes disk.
Old 12 April 2003, 23:42   #16
Severin

Quote:
Originally posted by staticgerbil
I just jumped on the net now to look for blitz. Cheers for the link. Is it better than AMOS? That and devpac are the only languages i have used for the amiga.
Blitz is far superior to AMOS, Blitz can do all that AMOS can plus intuition support, easy system level access (eg. graphics, workbench, dos, exec libraries etc.), Gadtools and MUI, cybergfx, FPU, etc.

And of course an active mailing list well, fairly active, not many mails recently, but if you have a problem, you'll probably get help within 12-24 hours...

If you can think of it you can probably do it with blitz, of course an infinite probability calculator might take a few billion years to run...
Old 13 April 2003, 11:09   #17
staticgerbil

Thanks for that.

If i remember correctly blitz can handle asm code? Would i need devpac?

Can't wait to try blitz! I have a copy of the pc version (i presume they are completely different) but it produces very fast code on the pc and is nice and easy to use.

It's also nice to know that it is capable of something like skidmards and didn't they make that game where you run around and hunt zombies with it to? That was pretty cool for the time.
Old 13 April 2003, 11:18   #18
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Blitz has an inline assembler, so you don't need to use Devpac with it.

Zombie Apocalypse 1&2 are the Blitz games that you are thinking of.
Old 13 April 2003, 11:29   #19
staticgerbil

Thems the games.

Cheers for devpac and the tutorials Steve. It's goin on the hard drive this time

The Zone is cool. I hadn't noticed it before. Heard people talk about it, thought it must have been a site.
Old 16 December 2003, 16:14   #20
nzo
WHD/oldskool maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
It's in the zone along with the other 4 Amiga Format Bullfrog tutorial coverdisks. That should keep you busy for a while.

I've also uploaded the latest version of Devpac (3.18) complete with the Commodore v3.1 includes disk.
I'm new on this forum. Could you upload these tutorials again?