English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 15 September 2018, 22:33   #1
Clad

I'm a idiot and plugged my floppy drives reversed

Hello

While troubleshooting for a minor issue on my 2000, I had a brain fart and plugged both internal floppy drives reversed.

As in, everything fully reversed, both power, both ribbons.

I turned the power off immediatly as it did start to smell burnt right away.

Of course, they are both dead now.

So... can they be fixed ? How ?

I took the controller PCB out of both (I hope whatever I destroyed was on these), but visual inspection shows nothing.

These are the PCB I am talking about:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wyY...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EsT...ew?usp=sharing

How would you go to try and fix ?

And... yeah, I know I'm an idiot and I feel bad enough already, please don't rub it in.
Old 15 September 2018, 22:36   #2
plasmab
Banned

You've put 12V though the 5V system. If you are lucky you've just blown one of those regulators... :/ would need to look at the thing under a microscope to see which component has emitted the magic smoke.
Old 15 September 2018, 22:47   #3
Clad

I'm not familiar with those terms at all. Wikipedia got my back on that magic smoke thingy (basically, just look for whatever seems burn), but what's a regular supposed to look like ? What letter would that be on a PCB ? (I get that R is for resistance, C is for capacitor, and that's pretty much the extent of my knowledge)
Old 15 September 2018, 22:55   #4
plasmab
Banned

With the greatest respect I think you are unlikely to be able to repair that PCB with your level of knowledge. All those components are surface mount which will make them difficult to replace without a reasonable soldering toolkit and some practice.

I would recommend you check you haven't killed anything on the amiga motherboard by plugging in another drive if you have one.
Old 15 September 2018, 22:59   #5
Clad

That's an helpful answer, thanks. Fortunately there is still a few Amiga repair shop centers around, they cost an arm and a leg though.
Old 15 September 2018, 23:21   #6
Daedalus

Well, as plasmab suggested, first step is to see if the Amiga is actually damaged. Try running it another floppy drive, or without any floppy drive. If it appears to work, then you might be in luck and it's just the floppy drives themselves. See if you can buy another floppy drive, perhaps a dead one of the same type that still has a good logic board will be cheap, and try that.
Old 16 September 2018, 01:54   #7
idrougge

While that was a brainfart, part of the blame should also be put on Commodore who used connectors which very easily could be turned upside down.
Old 16 September 2018, 09:45   #8
SimonV

You're not an idiot, those plugs on an A2000 psu are far to easy to put wrong. I had this myself once and I never stopped using Amiga's since the nineties and have about 40 machines in my collection.
Old 16 September 2018, 18:21   #9
TjLaZer

I always double and triple check. The plugs have a nipple that goes into the connector, you can usually see it if you are careful, but yes it's easy to install backwards.
Old 17 September 2018, 03:51   #10
Clad

So, the motherboard is not damaged. Yay for me I suppose.

I also didn't stop using Amiga since the mid 90s, and I can't believe the current prices. Many parts are way more expensive now that they were when it was sold new. A broken (!) chinon drive sells for US$30 ! Working ones are around US$100.
Old 17 September 2018, 08:40   #11
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clad View Post
So, the motherboard is not damaged. Yay for me I suppose.

I also didn't stop using Amiga since the mid 90s, and I can't believe the current prices. Many parts are way more expensive now that they were when it was sold new. A broken (!) chinon drive sells for US$30 ! Working ones are around US$100.

Yeah I just use gotek drives now.
Old 17 September 2018, 10:42   #12
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjLaZer View Post
I always double and triple check. The plugs have a nipple that goes into the connector, you can usually see it if you are careful, but yes it's easy to install backwards.
You'll find that many drives used by Commodore don't have the corresponding slot to fit the protrusion on the connector, or might even have one on both sides. And the motherboard is just as bad - no surround at all so you can connect it either way with only a silkscreen marking to show you the correct orientation. Recently I was servicing some A500s, and no fewer than three of them had the floppy ribbon cable installed backwards. But since it was backwards at both ends, it still worked fine.

Connecting the ribbon backwards isn't normally the end of the world - You usually only get a floppy LED on constantly and a DF0:???? on Workbench. It's the power cable that's the problem, and the A2000 does have ridiculous, non-standard connectors that can be connected incorrectly. I'd forgotten about that actually (and I have a 2000...)
Old 19 September 2018, 01:34   #13
Zippy Zapp

Oh Yeah. Those power connectors. Funny enough I do have a backup A2000 that actually has flat type one-way power connectors. Perhaps the power supply is newer.

One thing I do when I work on an Amiga is take a picture of all the correctly connected cables before I unplug them.
Old 19 September 2018, 03:23   #14
nexus

they used clip-ons on some amiga psu's not actually crimped on
they clip on just like that ide/floppy connector does