English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 10 November 2020, 14:29   #1
crazyc

CD player and FreeDB replacement

Not sure if this is in the right section, but here goes.
Now I have completed my checkmate build for my a1200(loving it!), I have a nice slot loading IDE (well via an adapter) optical drive. I would like to play CDs on this and I am sure in the past I used to do this on my other amiga using FreeDB to provide CD details. Now googling this suggests FreeDB has been closed down for a while, so what I am looking for is (a) a nice simple CD player that will work on my B1230 based a1200 running CWB 3.9, and (b)ideally a replacement for freedb that will work with it (although this may not exist). - even better, something that does both.
I have a number of players on my system which generally don't seem to play well with my setup for some reason with crashes.
Easyacdda actually works but doesn't have quite the interface I would like.
DA player lists the various tracks (ie the track numbers) and seems to read the CD but will not play
PlayCD from within the IDEFix 97 folder seems to work (reads tracks etc) until you hit play and then gives a 'play error'
PlayCD in my utilities folder seems to sometimes crash my system, and when it loads it doesn't play (although again reads the disc.) not sure if this is a different version.

Any suggestions?
Cheers.
Old 10 November 2020, 20:03   #2
thomas

The two PlayCDs and most other CD Audio players for the Amiga only send a "play audio" command to the drive and the drive then does the play back without the computer being involved. This requires the analog audio output connected to the computer's sound card resp. in case of the Amiga somehow mixed to the Amiga's RCA audio output. More modern drives might not even have an analog audio connector any more.

DAPlayer instead reads the digital audio data from the CD and outputs it either through audio.device or AHI. This requires that the drive supports streaming digital audio data. And it needs a lot more CPU power than the other method.

SongPlayer is the only other program I know which uses this method.

Well, MakeCD can also read audio data and directly play it. But that's not the purpose of this program.

Regarding CDDB, I didn't even know that FreeDB closed. Unfortunately DAPlayer has FreeDB hard-coded. You could edit the executable file, changing freedb.freedb.org into gnudb.gnudb.org. But be aware that the latter is shorter than the former. You have to fill it up with two NULL bytes to keep the same length.

Maybe I find some time to fix CDDB for DAPlayer. I can't tell though why I doesn't play for you.
Old 10 November 2020, 23:04   #3
crazyc

Thank you that is really helpful (and explains why some of the things that work on my tower dont work here).

I was not aware of the gnudb site, and have successfully added the server to FreeDB and it connected and listed the tracks. It wont play it however for the reasons you have given I think.
Songplayer does play but doesn't pull data from the internet.

A little googling suggests that something called acdb may read the files and save locally in a format some amiga music players can read. that will be my next port of call I guess. (but have to do some real world work now)

Cheers again -I will update the thread with any progress.
Old 10 November 2020, 23:21   #4
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
You could edit the executable file, changing freedb.freedb.org into gnudb.gnudb.org. But be aware that the latter is shorter than the former. You have to fill it up with two NULL bytes to keep the same length.
Perhaps it could work simply by adding the IP address of gnudb.gnudb.org into the local hosts file for freedb.freedb.org so it would resolve to the other IP? It depends on how gnudb set up their server, but it would be an easy solution which would work with all software. If the gnudb people were nice people, they might already have added the freedb url as a vhost name on their web server.