English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 21 April 2008, 23:33   #41
fc.studio
Cat lover

I'm really happy that WinUAE exists 'cause thanks to it the Amiga interest lives and many people like you are now Amiga enthusiast.

I'm not surely an expert WinUAE user, but I have it with ClassicWB installed and it allows me to play & test games when I want.

Unfortunately, the feeling is not the same and often I don't use it for weeks, sometimes for months.

This doesn't happen with real hardware. I know this can be foolish and expensive to get, but I can't explain how I felt when, on putting a compact flash card (year 2006) via adapter in the A600 PCMCIA port, PrepCard tool (from 1991 Workbench 2) reported immediately its brand SanDisk, SDP, Version 5/3, 0.6. Wonderful sensation: a past very little computer detects new millenium hardware Vs. today PC monsters not able to detect last week devices.
I'm sorry, WinUAE can't give me this... however I'm happy it exists.
Old 22 April 2008, 02:19   #42
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Try a 50Hz full screen mode+vsync with filter and use a PC joystick and see if it helps the "feeling".

It does you know.
Old 22 April 2008, 03:30   #43
CongealedWallrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Try a 50Hz full screen mode+vsync with filter and use a PC joystick and see if it helps the "feeling".

It does you know.
I think I shall try that. At least I could get a small taste of that magic feeling.

But I understand the feeling associated with actually having the real proper hardware in your hands and experiencing it exactly as it was all those years ago. Its like a taste of the past.

Although I havent experienced that with an Amiga, I do get that when I get out my old, battered Atari and fire it up. Sadly it is much the worse for ware and crashes if you walk across the room with a little too much vigour!

I am sorry, I should not have said that. The only A word we use here is Amiga, I repent!
Old 22 April 2008, 05:01   #44
boing_1000
A1000 Addict

Any Amiga is worth owning. I own a 1000 and I used to own a 1200. Both are excellent machines. You won't regret the purchase at all.
Old 22 April 2008, 11:29   #45
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

i think it's fair to say hardware is not for everyone.... and neither is emualtion. of some of, both is better still

if you you still need an answer on whether hardware is 'worth' investing in, then i guess the answer should be; 'probably not for you'.

as close as emulation gets (and it can do a great job) it still isnt the same, and it's more than just nostalgia for some of us... it's accuracy. I guess most people wont notice it though once you minimise the differences with advice such as alexh's.
Old 22 April 2008, 18:42   #46
boing_1000
A1000 Addict

Something about the actual hardware though that makes me smile inside. An emulator can probably do the job for most people but because I love mine so much, and as good a job as Toni has done on WinUAE, it can't top the actual thing.
Old 23 April 2008, 10:51   #47
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
I never touched an Amiga untill 2002 and do not regret collecting them at all (A500/A2000/A3000/A1200).

With any platform you kind of miss what is unique about them when you just emulate, and quite frankly I would rather pop a floppy into an A500 and start playing then have to tweek the EMU to get games to play.

If you want a cheap way of testing the waters go find an A500 with trapdoor RAM (1MB total RAM) and an external floppy and buy a couple games. You can use a TV if you buy an A520 adapter (to convert the RGB out to Composite video). That machine will play most of the Amiga games made (an A1200 will play the rest). After you have done this compare the same game and setup to the emulater.

I find people who are not into computing hardware at all tend to like emulaters, while people who like building machines tend to use the real hardware.
Old 07 May 2008, 00:30   #48
Lips2k8

I wouldnt bother buying a real amiga... I did and now I am regretting it its a bottomless pit of money I cant afford... you would think such old hardware would be dirt cheap... wrong its rediculous - standard 1200 can bearly do anything without being upgraded and ebay take the piss.... amigakit are good but still way expensive - some of us just dont have that kind of dissposable income. my advice is if your rich then yea buy a miggy and relevent upgrades if not stick to winUAE... it will just make you misserable else.
Old 07 May 2008, 14:23   #49
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I got my A1200 for 50€, another one for 20€. Furthermore i bought a turbo card for 50€ and use my old PC hdd. A cheap PCMCIA adapter plus CF card, that's it.

You don't need to be rich for this hobby, only if you are an Amiga hardware collector.
Old 25 May 2008, 02:44   #50
amigarobbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post

-Don't read the next bit if you've got a weak constitution-

Go to fleaBay and buy an Acorn A3010 with HDD.
Why???
It doesn't hurt to be different & compared to C= stuff these are dirt-cheap.
(most of the best Amiga games were ported to the RiscOS platform)

...so he went forth with his opinions and verily in due season he was shot down in flames.

Are you insane? get an ST, even cheaper.

Wot? wot?

Anyway, I'd say get a cheap 1200 off eBay, prefably with some joysticks/mice/Floppy games, if it's not got a Hard drive fit a flash solid state IDE harddrive, 4 gig flash rom is all you need. Oh and Whdload, you'll need that

An accelerator is nice, best would be a 68030@50, but anything that adds memory is good.

And you can plug it straight into the telly, which is nice.
Old 25 May 2008, 03:13   #51
Ironclaw
Banned

As the title says "Is it worth getting a real Amiga?" he thinks about the emulator and whether or not it's better with a real amiga or the emulator... I know I've made a post here already, but it doesn't hurt saying it again .

Go with WinUAE.
Old 25 May 2008, 13:21   #52
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

I`ll second that, Go WinUAE and save yourself money and the hassle.
Old 26 May 2008, 23:58   #53
Macca
Zone Friend

For me nothing beats the real Amiga.

WinUAE is good but it's not as good as having the hardware there. It's the same with any emulation such as Arcade Emulation. It's just not as good as having the arcade machine there - the hardware is part of the entire retro experience.

Just my 2p worth!

M.
Old 27 May 2008, 01:18   #54
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca View Post
For me nothing beats the real Amiga.

WinUAE is good but it's not as good as having the hardware there. It's the same with any emulation such as Arcade Emulation. It's just not as good as having the arcade machine there - the hardware is part of the entire retro experience.

Just my 2p worth!

M.
It really doesn't make up for it as WinUAE is free and have ALL amigas in one.

but if you want true retro, then ofc a real amiga is the way to go . but I dont' care for retro, I just want to be able to run everything on my PC..... just as good... only thing missing is a slow loading (if no whdload) lump infront of me that ticks when it's loading.
Old 27 May 2008, 09:15   #55
Macca
Zone Friend

Aye pretty true - I just love though to sit back and enjoy the Amiga on a big TV with a couple of mates around having tournaments on Sensi Soccer or playing co-op Bloodwych. I know you can output your PC to TV then emulate it through there but it's not the same.

I guess its more sociable than sitting at the PC for me.

M.
Old 27 May 2008, 10:54   #56
Cerberus73

Hmmm where is scotland are you congealedwallrs? if your worried about upgrades, repairs etc, i may be able to help as i live in aberdeen, but come originally from dundee so go down there a fair bit (as in at least once a month) and im in glasgow and edinburgh about once a month as well, so may be able to help if fixing or service is a worry, ive worked in computer shops, software development and now web and graphic design, have always built and maintainesd/upgraded my own hardware. from 8 bit c64,s to the latest and greatest in PC's and Macs.

Also got a pretty big collection of amiga stuff, 1200's, 500's, 600's and yer old hardware can be a pain, but i always keep a couple of rough machines with good internals laying around to canabalise for parts, go to car boot sales, up here in scotland we are lucky, as these are plentyfull, and amigas can be bought for pennies, hell all my kit came via them, never buy stuff of fleabay (prices are mad) that way if you dont like it, and have not got the space, sell it on via ebay or in here. and your outlay isnt gonna be mad money.

Last edited by Cerberus73; 27 May 2008 at 11:09.