English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 09 October 2020, 02:24   #1
Picklepie

Amiga 2000 and CPU Slot adapters.

Sorry for the long post but here it goes, have mercy on me.

So, I bought Terriblefire TF534. ( i know, no support, saw the threads too late). So it comes with a slot adapter. I tried it and didn't work as all i get is a black screen.
Remove the TF34, insert CPU in CPU socket and Amiga boots normally, hmmm?
Remove CPU, remove memory and the buddha, insert TF534 in CPU slot again and get the same thing. GEEZ, not even the floppy lights up or seeks?

Remove the TF from Amiga and TF from Slot adapter, check for bent pins and nothing. Search and seach on line for the manual but nothing. don't even know what the jumper on the adapter is for. (Saw some reference about for use in a 500).
Think about it some more, grab the CPU, in it goes into the Amiga CPU slot, hit the power switch and ...
Nothing!
Now, i know that everything on my system works so what gives? Broken CPU slot trace somewhere? Battery has been removed, area cleaned, replaced with button battery and both CPU and Kickstart sockets replaced. Everything working no problem but this.

Also have CSA Derringer 030 that was living in the CPU socket but stopped working hence the TF534.

Ideas???
Old 10 October 2020, 03:11   #2
Picklepie

So decided to poke around. Plug the slot adapter in with the CPU on it, and do resistance checks pin to pin. Not all signals are present on the slot so either the CPU slot is toast, the adapter doesn't work, or the connections go somewhere else on the board.

I'm thinking of going to "FleaBay" and hunt for some CPU risers, and plug the TF534 in the CPU socket to see if it works. If not then back to AMIGAstore it goes.

I think I saw a schematic on the back of the A2000 book. I might have to look and see if I find the darn thing. Board is a 4.4 and I can see the prior owner did some mods on the board (or maybe came like that) so not sure i I can find a 4.4 a schematic on the web somewhere, that might help in tracing the CPU slot signals, or "Co-Processor" slot, what ever it's called.

Are all the CPU slot adaptors the same???
Old 10 October 2020, 04:00   #3
amiman99

I know that kipper2k made some adapters, I think this is one of them.
https://store.osvg.net/index.php/pro...2000copro-kit/

I never purchased from this store BTW.
Old 10 October 2020, 16:15   #4
demolition
Unregistered User

The motherboard CPU connector could be bad. They are old and if it has never been used before, it would as a minimum need a good clean to work. I have an A2000 which had bad connections in 3-4 pins. Cleaning helped a bit as I could then get it to boot but the connection was still flaky and I ended up replacing the entire connector with a fresh one.
Most CPU risers should be similar. Small differences but generally compatible.
Old 10 October 2020, 20:22   #5
Picklepie

Thank you amiman99 and demolition, that is the same adapter I have and was sent with the TF534. On the CPU connector I never used it so will try your suggestion and clean maybe with alcohol and a soft brush to see if I can get it to work.
No Idea on were to find those motherboard connectors though, but should be the same as replacing the chip sockets
Old 10 October 2020, 21:09   #6
demolition
Unregistered User

They should be possible to find. The pitch is standard but the exact length might be a little trickier to find. I had some new ISA-size (62 pin) slots so I took two of those, cut them both to size and joined them together to form one CPU socket.
Old 10 October 2020, 22:19   #7
Picklepie

Cleaned the CPU slot with alcohol and a toothbrush with a definite improvement. With the CPU in its socket and the adapter in the slot, All the signals present except for (according to the adapter from the link)...

BG
BGACK
BR
CLK

The pins labled FC0, FC1, FC2 signals present but they have cut circle which I guess would have to be bridged with a solder blob but don't want to modify anything unless I have to.
Old 12 October 2020, 10:57   #8
Daedalus

86-pin connectors are still manufactured, but aren't always stocked by suppliers and sometimes have a minimum order quantity. One such part is TE connectivity part # 1-5530843-0. I get them from Digi-Key (order code A144213-ND), and they usually have them in stock.

This connector is often damaged by a leaky battery in the 2000, and even if the board otherwise works, it could have damaged the contacts which won't affect normal running with the onboard 68000.
Old 13 October 2020, 04:36   #9
Picklepie

Thank you, good to know. Already replaced 2 so, 1 more should not be a big deal if I'm careful. Placed on order some CPU risers to try the TF in the CPU socket to see how that goes. If it works in the CPU socket but not in the CPU slot, then I guess the slot would be the culprit.
Are the processors really supposed to work in the slot with an adapter, or does it depend on the adapter itself?
Old 13 October 2020, 13:47   #10
Daedalus

It depends on the adaptor. The CPUs are happy to sit on the same bus as other CPUs, but something else needs to tell them which CPU is in charge. This is done through a couple of signals that the CPU slot adaptor has to provide. If it doesn't provide this handover mechanism to the slot CPU, the on board CPU must be removed or they'll both fight over the bus.
Old 17 October 2020, 01:04   #11
johnnybarker

It does look like you have a problem with your motherboard. Once working again with old cpu then I agree best to try tf in cpusocket. I think 8bitdreams mentioned something on the exxos forum about it not working well in the cpu slot. Also make sure you have the latest firmware for tf536 which improve compatibility for a2000.
Old 20 October 2020, 00:28   #12
Picklepie

Been a while. Just got the CPU riser but it's not enough, won't clear the battery or the cap next to it. The coin battery adapter I can always de-solder but not the cap I'm afraid. I will need to get another one riser and while I'm at it, will get the slot from Digi-Key to replace while the board is out of the chassis. My version is the TF534, would the firmware be compatible with the TF536? Don't want to brick it since i have not gotten any use out of it.
Maybe also replace that cap and leave the leads a little longer so I could lay it on the side...
Old 22 October 2020, 22:54   #13
Picklepie

Still not sure about the TF536 firmware, will have to dig around a little. Placed on order the 86 pin slot from Digi-Key. ( thanks for the part#) and additional 2 socket extenders to try and fit the TF in the CPU slot. Not sure when it will arrive but will update when I replace the slot, extend the CPU and try there, or both.
Old 22 October 2020, 23:47   #14
johnnybarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picklepie View Post
Been a while. Just got the CPU riser but it's not enough, won't clear the battery or the cap next to it. The coin battery adapter I can always de-solder but not the cap I'm afraid. I will need to get another one riser and while I'm at it, will get the slot from Digi-Key to replace while the board is out of the chassis. My version is the TF534, would the firmware be compatible with the TF536? Don't want to brick it since i have not gotten any use out of it.
Maybe also replace that cap and leave the leads a little longer so I could lay it on the side...
Ah yes, I remember now. I had to remove that capacitor and fit another one with longer legs so it could lie on its side. Don't recall the battery being a problem though. I have a coin cell and it was fine. I wonder if mine is a lower profile?
Old 05 November 2020, 02:11   #15
Picklepie

So, time for an update.
I Received the CPU riser and 86 pin CPU slot to replace. Removed the board from the case and before embarking on that adventure, I decided to do some digging.
Traced the missing signals to their origin and destinations but everything is there, no broken traces or anything broken and beginning to suspect a chip somewhere, but if that was the case then the CPU would not work either.
Grab the CPU Slot adapter... inspect... something on D4 looks funny. Measurements from CPU socket D4 to CPU slot D4 is good but not to the adapter CPU pin hole for D4. There is none, or very little solder on the other side.

Put a little solder, plug in the CPU in CPU slot adapter, power on and FLOPPY IMAGE on the screen!
So it was a defective slot adapter after all. Still won't power up with TF334. Grab the meter and this is what i find, now i need options.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D8 pin.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	69617   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amiga 2K power connector.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	461.8 KB
ID:	69618  
Old 05 November 2020, 02:14   #16
Picklepie

Voltages I found are on the connector to match the wire. I do Have an old atx psu with the white wire in it.
Old 05 November 2020, 03:13   #17
kipper2k

i think the best things to try, is first put the CPU in the adapter and plug in to the co pro slot and see f it boots
if it doesn't then meter every corresponding signal from the adapter to the CPU socket, if connectivity is all good then there should be no (logical) reason why the TF board doesn't work.
Old 05 November 2020, 16:00   #18
Picklepie

Sorry kipper2k, i forgot to mention that after soldering the D4 pin, I plugged in the CPU in the adapter and then into the slot, the Amiga booted to the floppy mini video. The adapter is no longer the problem. Now the next issue seems to be the PSU, as the voltages are all low, this may not let the Amiga boot with the TF as the voltage tolerance is not what it needs.
Old 05 November 2020, 16:12   #19
Picklepie

Voltages I found on the connector back to front were...
Yellow / between 4.70v and 4.65 (changes)
Blue / .02?
Orange / 11.34
Red / -11.17
Green / 4.7
White / -5.08
Brown / switches between 2.39 and 2.40v

All expansion cards are removed at this point, and if I put a workbench floppy in the drive, it will boot and run without a problem.
I also have a Derringer 030/50mhz that will not boot either. from the socket or the slot but used it in the past reliably.

Last edited by Picklepie; 05 November 2020 at 16:20.
Old 06 November 2020, 22:05   #20
Picklepie

Well, I looked at that ATX power supply I had in the basement, opened it up and it has swollen caps in it. How hard would it be to find the caps for an A2000 PSU and replace those, hoping that is the issue and would allow the TF534 to fire ups and boot with the Amiga?
Slot adapter is definitely working now, Just the computer not working with it. (Should have gotten a TF536 instead.)