English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Contest

Old 16 March 2023, 13:29   #1
zooperdan

Amiga Tool Jam

Hi everyone.

I'd like to invite you to participate in Amiga Tool Jam which run from May 1st to October 31st.

You can choose to develop a piece of software in the following categories:
  • Utility - Small piece of software often without GUI and run from CLI.
  • Tool - Larger and more advanced piece of software with GUI.
  • Commodity - Small executable which enhances system usability. Commodities are usually loaded at system startup. Many require no interaction and do not feature any GUI interface.
  • Most Useless Tool - A tool that fixes a problem nobody has, or performs a completely pointless task for no good reason (and often extremely overengineered). Example: A tool that tells you if your Amiga is powered on or off Have fun, be creative!
  • Other - ARexx scipts, Icon packs, Workbench wallpapers etc. Basically anything that doesn't fit the other categories.

Any

Check out the jam page for rules and other information.

https://itch.io/jam/amigatooljam

Hope to see you in there, and please help spread the word

- zooperdan
Old 16 March 2023, 15:12   #2
tygre
Returning fan!

Thanks Zooperdan!
Old 18 March 2023, 23:21   #3
zooperdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygre View Post
Thanks Zooperdan!
Thanks for joining
Old 08 November 2023, 16:30   #4
Daedalus

The Amiga Tool Jam has now finished, and there are 15 entries across the various categories. People can check them out here: https://itch.io/jam/amigatooljam
Old 08 November 2023, 17:48   #5
DisasterIncarna

nice work all, off to install some of this, esp DrawerGenie hope you improve/bugsmash that if its needed at all, looks very useful.
Old 08 November 2023, 18:10   #6
Poison

DrawerGenie is fantastic but hard to use with a higher resolution desktop.
Old 08 November 2023, 19:25   #7
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison View Post

yeah might be nice to be able to use your own images so you could have them larger or make MWB versions, would be nice to be able to mousewheel or drag the bar to see options hidden if the window is too small and have mouseover tooltips, obviously all this not really a thing on such a small timescale but still great work.

out of interest, where should be leave proper feedback for these tools? here or on the select itch.io pages?
Old 08 November 2023, 19:30   #8
DisasterIncarna

Quote:

yeah might be nice to be able to use your own images so you could have them larger or make MWB versions, would be nice to be able to mousewheel or drag the bar to see options hidden if the window is too small.

out of interest, where should be leave proper feedback for these tools? here or on the select itch.io pages?
Old 09 November 2023, 10:38   #9
nogginthenog
Amigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
yeah might be nice to be able to use your own images so you could have them larger or make MWB versions, would be nice to be able to mousewheel or drag the bar to see options hidden if the window is too small.
There is a toolbar.iff in the archive. You can probably edit this (but I doubt you can make them larger).
Old 09 November 2023, 16:04   #10
AMIGASYSTEM

DrawerGenie would be nice to have a porting for AROS x86, then maybe I could create gadgets suitable for RTG graphics!
Old 09 November 2023, 16:31   #11
Daedalus

Quote:
Thanks Yeah, it's on the list of things to do to support different size gadgets, AISS and so on. I just ran out of time for the jam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
yeah might be nice to be able to use your own images so you could have them larger or make MWB versions
Yup Also, I'm open to including other people's toolbars as options in future versions.

Quote:
would be nice to be able to mousewheel or drag the bar to see options hidden if the window is too small
Nice idea! it's a little tricky to implement without regenerating the whole toolbar (which is slow), but I'll look into it.

Quote:
and have mouseover tooltips,
It doesn't have mouseover tooltips (it's a little bit inefficient to do it that way when the toolbar windows are never active), but you can hold down the Help key and click on any gadget to get a tooltip. I've had a bug report that the tooltip surround sometimes isn't the correct size, but I'll sort that out.

Quote:
obviously all this not really a thing on such a small timescale but still great work.
Much appreciated

Quote:
The Itch pages are usually a good place to go, often the devs will include contact details in the readme file too. Some of the projects are also on Github, where issues can be raised. There's also a Discord specifically for the jam (details on the jam page) but not all the devs are on there. I don't mind feedback here myself, but not all the devs are on here either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
There is a toolbar.iff in the archive. You can probably edit this (but I doubt you can make them larger).
Correct. Feel free to use the "coder art" toolbar as a template for your own toolbar. Top row is the unselected version, bottom is the selected version. At the moment they're limited to 16x16 tiles unfortunately, but that'll get fixed in the future...