English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 17 December 2009, 10:40   #1
SLL

The easiest way to convert my old A1000 floppy stuff to PC WinUAE?

Hey,

My old A1000 has been off since the old Kefrens days in the 80s, early 90s. But now I thought of converting my music stuff + some games to PC XP. But is it possible, to convert floppies from the PC floppy drive to an internal PC harddisk?

And what tools is best for the task?

All the best
SLL / Kefrens

Old 17 December 2009, 12:55   #2
Muzer

The PC floppy controller DOES NOT support Amiga floppies. However, there are a few options:

* Use a real Amiga to transfer the disks - format a PC floppy disk, and make disk images on the Amiga (ask someone else which tools to use, I've never had to do this). Then, compress an image, stick it on a PC floppy (splitting it if it won't fit), and copy onto your PC. Rinse and repeat.

* There is a way to trick PC floppy controllers if you have two drives, and your motherboard supports two. Doesn't support copy protection.

* You can buy another floppy controller called a Catweasel - available on Amigakit and sometimes eBay.
Old 17 December 2009, 14:51   #3
SLL

Thanks Muzer,

Sad, I thought you could program the standard PC controller, to read Amiga format. I guess I have to hook up my old A1000, if there is still life in it :-)

Thanks for helping out,
SLL

Old 17 December 2009, 16:01   #4
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLL View Post
Thanks Muzer,

Sad, I thought you could program the standard PC controller, to read Amiga format. I guess I have to hook up my old A1000, if there is still life in it :-)

Thanks for helping out,
SLL

You might need a local friend with a more recent Amiga (I'm not sure) like a 1200 that supports Crossdos and can easily copy your disks on to pc floppies or even better CD.

Something like ADFblitzer on aminet would be a good way to convert the amiga floppy contents into single files. Other than that I don't know enough about the A1000 to know how you'd export stuff.
Old 17 December 2009, 16:48   #5
ppill
CON: artist

If your PC has a serial or parallel port you could connect the two computers using a null-modem or laplink cable. There are a few transfer tools that support such a setup.
Old 17 December 2009, 17:04   #6
Jonathan Drain

Amiga Explorer is the best tool for serial cable transfer. It will work on the A1000 as long as you have Workbench 1.2. It cleverly sends the Amiga side of the software over the cable. I previously tried PC2Amiga from Aminet but couldn't get it to work.

There's a PC tool called ADFRead to read Amiga disks, but it requires you to install two PC floppy drives (internal, not USB) and may only work on standard-format disks.
Old 17 December 2009, 17:41   #7
SLL

Thanks, I think I'll try the serial cable methode first, to see if it works stable. I remember, that I used workbench 1.2 and 1.3 I think, and also Kickstart 1.2 and 1.3 :-)

SLL

Old 17 December 2009, 19:55   #8
Muzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Drain View Post
Amiga Explorer is the best tool for serial cable transfer. It will work on the A1000 as long as you have Workbench 1.2. It cleverly sends the Amiga side of the software over the cable. I previously tried PC2Amiga from Aminet but couldn't get it to work.

There's a PC tool called ADFRead to read Amiga disks, but it requires you to install two PC floppy drives (internal, not USB) and may only work on standard-format disks.
How does that work? Is the Amiga coded to blindly run anything it randomly receives over the serial port?
Old 17 December 2009, 20:01   #9
ppill
CON: artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzer View Post
How does that work? Is the Amiga coded to blindly run anything it randomly receives over the serial port?
AFAIK it uses the same method as described here (type SER:) just that the PC side of things is automated.
Old 17 December 2009, 23:41   #10
Jonathan Drain

Yeah. You use a short CLI command to pipe everything from the serial port to a file, and use the PC software to transmit a program. You run that program, and it starts talking to the PC side. From there, it can install the full program.