English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 08 September 2009, 05:49   #1
BobbyBobBob
ICE CREAM

Amiga CD32 questions

I decided I'll soon buy a CD32 from Amikit. It's a pity the PSU is white but apart from that it should be great for nostalgiafests.

My questions:
-Is there an easy way to lump afd games and demos onto one CD? If not...
-Are CD32 versions of Sensible Soccer, Chaos Engine, Cannon Fodder, Lotus, Flashback and Speedball 2 compatible with joysticks? I planned on buying a couple of zipsticks to replace the CD32 controllers.
-Where's the best place to find CD32 game iso's? Are there any special software/discs needed to burn them?
-Is there any way to get demos (flossy! haha) working without buying a floppy drive?

Thanks to anyone who can help
Old 08 September 2009, 07:00   #2
ami_junkie

It has been a long time since I used my CD32 but I remember that the normal 1/2 button joysticks worked on my CD32 but it depends if it is a CD32 specific game. I would say a great place to get some starter CD32 isos would be here, on the EAB file server. Enjoy your CD32, wikid little console!

Old 08 September 2009, 09:31   #3
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

A lot of CD32 games (the CD32-specific games and the A1200 ports that actually had effort put into them) use the four coloured buttons on the CD32 pad. Guardian and Microcosm use these extensively, for example. Using a joystick instead of the CD32 controller would make some games unplayable, unfortunately.

Steve.
Old 08 September 2009, 10:20   #4
Gordon
Settler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyBobBob View Post
I decided I'll soon buy a CD32 from Amikit. It's a pity the PSU is white but apart from that it should be great for nostalgiafests.

My questions:
-Is there an easy way to lump afd games and demos onto one CD? If not...
-Are CD32 versions of Sensible Soccer, Chaos Engine, Cannon Fodder, Lotus, Flashback and Speedball 2 compatible with joysticks? I planned on buying a couple of zipsticks to replace the CD32 controllers.
-Where's the best place to find CD32 game iso's? Are there any special software/discs needed to burn them?
-Is there any way to get demos (flossy! haha) working without buying a floppy drive?

Thanks to anyone who can help
I can confirm sensible soccer and speedball 2 work with fine with joystick but you wont be able to pause the game.

Regarding best place to discuss ISOs im not sure if thats allowed to be discussed? But the software i use is fireburner or sega cue maker. Never had an issue with a brand of CD.
Old 08 September 2009, 10:22   #5
Retro1234
Phone Homer

You cant play ADF games direct form CD - But HD installable games could work
Have a look here http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...highlight=Cd32
theres also Multi Game Compilations - probably for download on Torrent sites, there doesnt seem to be any good and more uptodate Compilations for a while.
Old 08 September 2009, 11:07   #6
Ian
Global Moderator

There are many compilations in the TOSEC dats that have what you are after.

Frostwork and Gary did some good ones, check them out.
Old 08 September 2009, 11:11   #7
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Just google for CD32 100, 200, 350, 444, 888
Old 09 September 2009, 04:05   #8
zaphod64

I recommend the CD32-200 CD for the best all round compilation because it has the highest number of the best games converted from floppy disk to CD32 with WHDload. It is also the only comp with Monkey Island 1 and 2. The CD32-444 has some newer games that are not on the CD32-200 so get that as well but the CD32-888 is a bit weak collection IMHO.

There is also Rochibans CD32-Demo compilation which has a lot of nice demos that the other compilations don't have.

There are also small custom CDs being made with only a few games per CD instead of a few hundred.

Old 09 September 2009, 19:58   #9
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
Here is my cut down list of CD32 favorites.

Make sure you burn your CD32 ISOs at minimal speed, especially with images holding CD audio tracks.
Obviously, your burning software must support the .cue/.bin/.wav image format.

To answer your first q., many CD32 games are similar to their AGA counterpart, with sometimes a better-looking intro and a CD audio soundtrack. That means loading a CD32 won't look and feel completely different from loading your preferred games in disk format (except for faster loading speed of course).

There seem to be unofficial CD32 games in the wild, don't know much about them, but I assume they are quirky ports of some popular "disk" games.
Attached Files
File Type: txt CD32fav.s.txt (376 Bytes, 236 views)
Old 11 September 2009, 07:18   #10
BobbyBobBob
ICE CREAM

thanks everyone for your feedback. a few people have said there are problems with the 444/888 compilations, in that it takes too long scrolling through games if you only want to play a handful. i'd attempt to make my own compilation even though the process looks a bit technical, but its been so long i honestly cant remember which games need a keyboard, be it just p for pause or choosing a defensive formation in john madden. and i still have reservations about that joypad. so in the end i just lumped for an a600, its small enough to be almost as transportable as a cd32 plus, as its the miggy i had as a kid i'm secure i can play everything i remember.