English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 06 February 2013, 11:46   #1
vext01

Converting between directory and .hdf emulated hard disks.

Hi,

In the future I plan to build a hard disk image which I plan to dd onto a CF card for a real Amiga.

It is pretty convenient to use a directory on the host system and mount it as a hard disk under fs-uae. This way I can use my system's native lha packages to extract stuff and much faster.

However, one can not dd a directory to a compact flash, so is there a way to convert between these two representations? One idea I had was to use (within AmigaDOS) 'copy hd0: hd1: all' where hd0 is a directory mounted disk and hd1 is a .hdf mounted disk. Something tells me this will be slow(?).

Any ideas?

Cheers

PS.

Is there a way to create .info files (required to make icons visible under workbench) from the host system?

Looking forward to the 2.0 release. Keep up the good work.
Old 06 February 2013, 13:10   #2
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by vext01 View Post
One idea I had was to use (within AmigaDOS) 'copy hd0: hd1: all' where hd0 is a directory mounted disk and hd1 is a .hdf mounted disk.
This is the preferred way.

Quote:
Something tells me this will be slow(?).
I never saw FS-UAE in action, but WinUAE is lightning fast. Copying files (only used parts of a partition) is much faster than dd (copying unused parts, too).

Quote:
Is there a way to create .info files (required to make icons visible under workbench) from the host system?
Just copy another .info file of the required type
Old 06 February 2013, 18:16   #3
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vext01 View Post
One idea I had was to use (within AmigaDOS) 'copy hd0: hd1: all' where hd0 is a directory mounted disk and hd1 is a .hdf mounted disk. Something tells me this will be slow(?).
It will probably be fast enough for you I also think the question of performance is somewhat irrelevant, because this is really the only practical way for you to do this!