English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 28 January 2019, 17:06   #1
zorblon98

Workbench Checksum Error after WinImage SD Card Restore

Curious if anyone has come across this error when restoring a CF Card using WinImage before?

I have a 16GB CF card that I installed Amiga OS 3.1.4 to using WinUAE, and confirmed it was working without any issues. I saved my config for the setup in WinUAE to a config file. Also tested on my A500 with HC508.

I then used WinImage to perform a 'Creating Virtual Hard Disk Image from physical drive' option and selected my CF card and it completed the backup image successfully. I then used the restore from the same saved file in WinImage and it restored to the card. After this I loaded my saved config in WinUAE and started it up, but receive the error above.

Curious if anyone has come across this issue before or might have any advice? Not quite sure where this might have gone wrong, or which part to start troubleshooting on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	checksum error.PNG
Views:	891
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	61802  
Old 28 January 2019, 17:43   #2
AMIGASYSTEM

Try with USB Image Tool:

Old 28 January 2019, 20:13   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Does the image work? (mounted like it is HDF, assuming imager did 1:1 image without any extra metadata)

It is either imager problem or adapter problem. It is not too rare that some (crappy) adapters randomly corrupt data in some situations.
Old 28 January 2019, 20:38   #4
mark_k

After restoring the image to the CF card, use WinImage to read it back again. Compare files to see whether there was any corruption.

Also, when restoring an updated/modified images to the card in future, it's possible (probably not using WinImage though) to do "write sparing" where only the changed parts are written to the card. Much less wear on its flash chips, and much lower chance of parts being corrupted if your USB card reader is dodgy.
Old 28 January 2019, 22:53   #5
zorblon98

Thanks for the replies, @AMIGASYSTEM I will test using the USB Image Tool you referenced. Since the WinImage files are VHD extension I don't think there's anything I can do with those in another software as far as I know? I'll just set up the CF card and install 3.1.4 again and test this all out using USB Image Tool.

@Toni Wilen - I'm not quite sure if the image works since I can't read it in my PC with WinUAE, or access it using my actual A500 or HC508 as I'm receiving the Workbench checksum error in both.

I guess it's possible my card reader has an issue, however I did order a new one just a week ago off Amazon, at this link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The reviews seemed pretty good on the new one I bought, but yeah it could be something with that. I have another USB 1.0 card reader that's old and slow but could try it with that one instead. I bought the new reader last week since I ran into issues with my old one disconnecting a few times, I think the micro USB port on it is a little flaky and probably needs a heat up on the solder or is coming apart.

@mark_k when you mention after restoring the image to the CF card and using WinImage to read it back again, could you explain this a bit more? I think I might not be understanding fully, appreciate any help. Thanks.
Old 28 January 2019, 23:29   #6
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorblon98 View Post
Thanks for the replies, @AMIGASYSTEM I will test using the USB Image Tool you referenced. Since the WinImage files are VHD extension
Extension name is not a problem, USB Image Tool use extension .IMG, you simply have to rename the extension VHD or IMG to HDF, do the opposite operation when you have to write HDF to CF, Pendrive, HD etc..
Old 29 January 2019, 18:53   #7
zorblon98

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Extension name is not a problem, USB Image Tool use extension .IMG, you simply have to rename the extension VHD or IMG to HDF, do the opposite operation when you have to write HDF to CF, Pendrive, HD etc..
I changed the extension to IMG and selected my drive:

However when I select my backup image I receive the error:

The image I am backing up from is under the drive capactity size:

I am able to restore the image using WinImage when I change the extension back to VHD though, but I still receive the Workbench checksum error.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	usb prg 1.PNG
Views:	470
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	61810   Click image for larger version

Name:	usb error.PNG
Views:	394
Size:	2.9 KB
ID:	61811   Click image for larger version

Name:	image size.PNG
Views:	405
Size:	4.1 KB
ID:	61812  
Old 29 January 2019, 20:22   #8
zorblon98

I just did another fresh install of 3.1.4 to the CF card and used USB Image Tool this time to back it up, and then restore using the same (no error about being too large this time). Still getting a workbench checksum error though...

This is strange, not quite sure what to make of it. I'm using a completely different CF card reader this time, I wouldn't think this would be hardware related.. I did confirm the card was able to boot in both WinUAE and my A500 with HC508 after the reinstall, and before making the backup with USB Image Tool.

I just did another reinstall and confirmed Amiga OS 3.1.4 is working fine in both WinUAE and my A500. I think I'm just going to keep with it this way and skip backups, or use some other card for testing backups if I want to try to tackle this problem (I have enough problems as it is! )
Old 29 January 2019, 20:48   #9
AMIGASYSTEM

Strange I use USB Image Tool to write HDF on pendrive or Memory Card (with adapter) and I have never had problems.
With USB Image Tool duplicate Pendrive and Memory Card which include Amilator or AROSe systems never had problems.