English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Gaming

Old 03 June 2020, 19:04   #1
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Elite Dangerous: Odyssey

Well, new DLC for Elite Dangerous is announced, and it will allow finally to get out of your ship. There is trailer and announced release in earlier 2021.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...erous_Odyssey/
Old 04 June 2020, 01:06   #2
Dunny

I feel they could have shown it off better than using a lifeless deserted planet. Literally the only difference between that and what we have now is a blue sky.
Old 04 June 2020, 01:10   #3
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

I have a feeling that this will include only planets with no atmosphere... just what we already have with landing...

Taking off and landing on planets with atmosphere would be something new, if they plan to add that as well. What about earth and other populated worlds?!
Old 04 June 2020, 01:41   #4
Dunny

You can't have a blue sky without an atmosphere... And they're definitely wandering around a planet with an atmosphere. As for whether or not we get vegetation or cities etc... I guess we wait and see.
Old 04 June 2020, 11:39   #5
Daedalus

Yeah, I would expect they're doing it as a staged thing - get the atmospheres working, then at a later date roll out things like surface water, weather, then settlements, plant life, and animal life way further down the line.
Old 04 June 2020, 14:44   #6
Dunny

I could see that working - and planets classed as "inhabited" with large cities (such as earth) off limits due to a law against operating spacecraft drives near settlements or somesuch.

Which would be a shame, as the original Elite 2 had cities you could land at, but if they want those updated graphically to the same detail as the rest of the game was, you'd need tech we likely don't have yet. So I'd be happy with uninhabited earthlikes with small bases scattered about, cities off limits.
Old 04 June 2020, 21:27   #7
Ian
Global Moderator

Better be free as part of my seasons pass, guarenteed it will be half assed, and nowhere near as good as no mans sky have implemented.
Old 04 June 2020, 21:59   #8
Daedalus

I'd imagine it'll be a new "season". Horizons has been out, what, 4 years now, and the Fleet Carriers will probably be the last major update for that.

If that turns out to be the case, look on the bright side - you can still play the rest of the game as it without having to pay for a half assed update
Old 04 June 2020, 22:51   #9
profo

Early 2021 means around x-mas time i guess...
I dont have much hope there will be a substantial userbase still playing by that time.
Old 05 June 2020, 09:52   #10
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by profo View Post
Early 2021 means around x-mas time i guess...
Yeah, or even later maybe.

Quote:
I dont have much hope there will be a substantial userbase still playing by that time.
Funny, people have been saying that pretty much since launch, mainly because they don't like the direction the game's going in, or because feature X or Y is missing, or because something's taking too long. Basically because people think features they think are important are the same as features everyone else things are important. Yet, here it is, over 5 years later, still getting announcements for major new content.
Old 05 June 2020, 11:25   #11
profo

That may be.
I say it not because of (for me) missing features, instead i think frontier is announcing great stuff and delivers poor (even unbalanced) things way later than expected.
Or only money sinks like the carriers. Or the game wastes your precious time for grinding materials...
Old 05 June 2020, 11:37   #12
Dunny

I find it's a chill experience - I log in to solo mode only and I fly out ... somewhere, often doesn't matter where. Do a bit of combat, maybe hunt some pirates around resource areas, or just bum around the system checking out signals.

I play in VR, so it's immersive as hell. I've gotten a lot out of it in the time I've owned it (bought in at launch) and although it does have things I don't like, there's plenty for me to get into.
Old 05 June 2020, 17:14   #13
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Same here... I like exploring aspect of ED as well ability to do anything you like. I even pirated TD for a while and probably made around 1BN just doing that.

Will probably get more into it once i get VR for computer. I tried PS4 VR, but it is a work to get it to work, and still has some issues. I rather wait until I get something more permanent.

What VR are you using and would you recomend it?

ps. Just read some article, they still claim that 5 years into game, we still did not explore 1% of galaxy, more like .4% or .5%.
Old 05 June 2020, 23:56   #14
Dunny

I'm using the Rift CV1 paired with a Ryzen 3900X/32GB RAM/RTX2070 Super.

And it's bloody incredible.
Old 06 June 2020, 02:52   #15
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
I'm using the Rift CV1 paired with a Ryzen 3900X/32GB RAM/RTX2070 Super.

And it's bloody incredible.
That is a very nice system

Can't wait until the end of the year to see what the Ryzen 3 and Big Navi GPU's can do.
Old 12 June 2020, 00:37   #16
d4rk3lf

At least, they are releasing something, from time to time, and they have continuity.
Kudos to Frontier team.

Not like that Star Citizen game , that will have everything, but it will never be released.
At the end, Elite, after few years, might become, what Star Citizen always wanted to be.
Old 12 June 2020, 02:20   #17
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmijo View Post
That is a very nice system

Can't wait until the end of the year to see what the Ryzen 3 and Big Navi GPU's can do.
Indeed that is nice system. Speaking of not so nice systems, jmmijo, can I get some suggestions for Mr. Cheapo here. Something 'gaming' but under 500 bucks. What would you suggest? (it will be kidz computer)

@ DarkElf - Elite's biggest problem was to keep gamers interested in game... there are few science and space enthusiasts as well some folks who found refugee in this immense universe of around 400 billion stars.

At the time I played it regularly, about year less than .036% of galaxy is discovered so far, or in numbers, around 144 million stars. We still got only 399 and bit more to go...

There are places to visit, scenes to see in that game... only if they add walking around and possibly water worlds (like somewhat disappointing NMS) this would be by far best sim to explore.

An interesting article...

https://www.polygon.com/features/201...apping-project

Last edited by Anubis; 12 June 2020 at 02:43.
Old 12 June 2020, 04:35   #18
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Indeed that is nice system. Speaking of not so nice systems, jmmijo, can I get some suggestions for Mr. Cheapo here. Something 'gaming' but under 500 bucks. What would you suggest? (it will be kidz computer)

@ DarkElf - Elite's biggest problem was to keep gamers interested in game... there are few science and space enthusiasts as well some folks who found refugee in this immense universe of around 400 billion stars.

At the time I played it regularly, about year less than .036% of galaxy is discovered so far, or in numbers, around 144 million stars. We still got only 399 and bit more to go...

There are places to visit, scenes to see in that game... only if they add walking around and possibly water worlds (like somewhat disappointing NMS) this would be by far best sim to explore.

An interesting article...

https://www.polygon.com/features/201...apping-project
The recent Ryzen 3, 3100 and 3300x seem to both be very nice CPU's.

The 3300x seems to be the best option, couple that wtih a 1660/1660Ti and say the MSI B450 Max would be a nice option.

Also don't skimp on the RAM, get a matched pair of 3200 DDR4 modules.
Old 12 June 2020, 13:06   #19
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

That looks like a good combination, but I am sure it will be quite over 500. Will have to run some pricing (and possibly order parts) over weekend. I really like B450 Max and 1660. Of course RAM and HDD is not where I would make sacrifice... or power. I might not go for gold PSU, but at least Bronze version of the same one I have in my box.

Back to ED - interesting article about Feet Carriers, introduced last week...

https://www.polygon.com/2020/6/11/21...on-fell-asleep

I love fact how fast players adopt to new things and how we always find a way to help each other in this real space simulator... be it with fuel rats or now with mining of fuel...
All of the sudden, Colonia is not far away, it took me over a week for round trip, and I used neutron star highway. It would be month worth of jumpin' to do it regular way, even with ship with big jump radius like mine at the time.