English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 20 February 2018, 15:35   #81
Sinphaltimus

As much as I try, I'm no engineer.I never got good with dremels or even what the right tool is for certain things. I'm a perfectionist with some things and not so much with others.

What I did for the "500" and the Vampire logo was to project (with a projector) an image on the case, then I traced it with a pencil and tried to stay on the lines. Yeah, the 500, namely the second 0 is way off and it bothers me. If I can fix it I will, it's just paint. I may just print the 500 and cut it out to stick with adhesive. Those things I like to have near perfect.

The cut out and such... I actually like the imperfections there. I like my computer mods to look "hacked" so to speak as opposed to "off the assembly line" - That's the only place where I think "character" works for me.

Thank you much for your comments.

The internet is filled with perfectionists and people who should never ever have attempted modding of any kind. My comfort zone is someplace in the middle.

It's a labor of love and a consistent work in progress. I'm not sure it will ever be done and final. I still have a desire to add a CD-Rom to it eventually. And who knows what other gadgets and gizmos the community will come up with for further expansion?

This project was born out of a need for function rather than a need for form. Since I plan to use my A500 alot, I needed to integrate it as much as possible with my day to day computing needs. That meant keeping it within arms reach and reducing the desktop footprint. Once my A500 case shattered (due to being brittle), it was a sign to move forward with those needs and find a solution.

But the great thing I recall about the my Amiga 500 back in the 90s was that it was different than the A500 my friends had. From customizing the WB screen and use via programs and such to the different devices we all got for ourselves. And today, I'm happy to have an A500 like no other.

The config so far is A500 rev.5 mainboard with 1MB chip modification for the 512k trapdoor ram. USB keyboard adaptor with wireless Keyboard, USB mouse adaptor with PS/2 mouse, Vampire A500v2+, IDE to SATA adaptor driving a 32GB SSD with ApolloOS r43 and 3 floppy drives, the GoTek has the OLED display, flashfloppy (latest FW) and rotary push button mod. Currently connected to 2 TVs, one via A520, the other via Vampire DV, ARANANET SDNet adaptor with SD card extension. And finally an ATX PSU. I'd like to add a CD-Rom someday if possible. Think I may need to buy an adaptor from AmiKit for that. The one I got form SORDAN doesn't work with my SATA adaptor.

I still have the original A500 PSU packed away, working, just in case i need it someday as well as the fully functional Keyboard plus other accessories not needed yet. Like SCSI adaptor, mouse/controller switcher, rom switcher and more. Holding them because I'd like to acquire another A500 in the original case someday if only for a spare.

Last edited by Sinphaltimus; 20 February 2018 at 15:37. Reason: fixed some typos
Old 20 February 2018, 17:03   #82
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Your methods of gaining a required finish are on level with ingenuity. I agree with your explanation towards finishing your project work. Yes the imperfections hack explanation is also true. Your computer now reminds me of how the movies would describe a hackers system.

It is unique, it is customised and it's real !! Be proud of both yourself and your work! Good Karma to you my friend! You deserve it.
Old 20 February 2018, 17:38   #83
Sinphaltimus

Thank you much and also with you.
Old 28 February 2018, 23:38   #84
Sinphaltimus

I wanted to share a MOD that took me a long while to solve. see, I'm using a SATA HDD on my A500's Vampire IDE via a 44 pint to SATA adaptor. There is no straight forward way to add an LED because SATA does not use use the same signaling for activity as PATA does. It's a bit more complicated and to understand, you may want to read up on the SATA III Specification.

Anyway, I can confirm that this modification works with my WD SATA HDD.

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=1148717

Although it was my personal choice to go with a sata drive for my A500, this mod is done to the HDD PCB so it works for any computer that you can connect a SATA HDD to as long as the HDD manufacturer adheres to the specification.(PIN 11 is an OPTIONS PIN for HDD manufacturers to implement whatever they want within SPEC (several options available is my understanding).

Old 10 March 2018, 01:15   #85
Sinphaltimus

made some modifications today -

Old 10 March 2018, 05:33   #86
Amiga1992

Did you chop an amiga case to slap the logo in front of your tower???
Old 10 March 2018, 06:16   #87
zerohp

That looks like the logo that is sold on EBay. Real Commodore ones look a little different.
Old 10 March 2018, 13:53   #88
Sinphaltimus

I chopped the Hell out of a real Amiga case that broke. That was the primary motivation for putting my A500 in Tower case to begin with. My A500 was all cracked and broken from being brittle. So yes I did.

Last edited by Sinphaltimus; 10 March 2018 at 15:58.
Old 10 March 2018, 19:16   #89
Magic

At least part of the old case lives on in your new project!
Old 10 March 2018, 20:42   #90
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic View Post
At least part of the old case lives on in your new project!
Yes, as well as the C+ logo badge. AND I left the Amiga mainboard attached to the bottom half of the case. The A500 did not like being mounted to metal screws grounding it to the ATX tower case. I needed an insulator. I let the PSU handle the grounding much like the original.

I was lucky enough to have an ATX tower that had a wide plastic LED gobo on the front panel. I don't really know what to call that plastic piece in the case front panel that takes the little round internal LED and makes it look wide rectangular on the outside of the case panel. So I was able to leave my A500 keyboard intact and in storage.

Just trying to keep some of the old school feels in the new project.
Old 11 March 2018, 20:44   #91
Sinphaltimus

Getting ready to close up the case sometime today. That'll leave me with some sanding, touch up and another coat of paint for finish it off for now.

Old 12 March 2018, 14:30   #92
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
I wanted to share a MOD that took me a long while to solve. see, I'm using a SATA HDD on my A500's Vampire IDE via a 44 pint to SATA adaptor. There is no straight forward way to add an LED because SATA does not use use the same signaling for activity as PATA does. It's a bit more complicated and to understand, you may want to read up on the SATA III Specification.

Anyway, I can confirm that this modification works with my WD SATA HDD.

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=1148717

Although it was my personal choice to go with a sata drive for my A500, this mod is done to the HDD PCB so it works for any computer that you can connect a SATA HDD to as long as the HDD manufacturer adheres to the specification.(PIN 11 is an OPTIONS PIN for HDD manufacturers to implement whatever they want within SPEC (several options available is my understanding).
Here's a quick video showing the working LEDS. You don't need a FB account to view it. It's a public post.

https://www.facebook.com/SExmortus/v...6/?pnref=story
Old 16 March 2018, 00:31   #93
Sinphaltimus

And I found this - http://aminet.net/package/util/cli/AFSwitch to turn my power LED back on. Now it's really feeling more like the old A500 at it's core.

Old 22 March 2018, 21:12   #94
Sinphaltimus

Installed a 3.5" HDD bay today so I can easily remove/swap HDD. It's really coming together.. The white cutouts in the 3.5" top bay will get painted when I do final sanding and coat. I made that so I can finger pinch the faceplate on and off. Behind it is DF2. I don't need to see it. Will rarely need to use it.

Old 23 March 2018, 12:29   #95
Sinphaltimus

As a reminder to any late comers - here is a "before" picture that prompted this project:

Old 13 April 2018, 05:23   #96
Sinphaltimus

Sanded things down, getting ready for a final smooth coat this weekend. No more think drips or anything of the sort.

Also started a ground up installation from WB3.1 to OS3.9 Boing Bags 1 - 4

And started customizing the hell out of it...

VVV Wanna see it boot up?VVVV
.vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
.....vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
................vvvvvvvv
......................V
BootUp video
Old 13 April 2018, 11:30   #97
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Nice to see you making those attention to detail improvements. This custom work shall be near perfect yet!
Old 20 April 2018, 15:11   #98
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigaTech View Post
Nice to see you making those attention to detail improvements. This custom work shall be near perfect yet!

Thanks MigaTech - finally got around to putting another coat on and while taking pictures I found at least one spot that needs a little touch up again where the high gloss plastic finish is showing down right of the rotary knob.

So here's a close up of the GoTek, a full shot under bright light and the darker shot is actually natural lighting. I really did clean it up a lot (just scroll up to see previous shots and you'll see).

Old 20 April 2018, 15:57   #99
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Perhaps some plastic primer might of helped to fill some of the gaps, then 2 to 3 coats of matte paint, maybe?

Still the system is looking much better than before anyways!
Old 20 April 2018, 18:15   #100
Sinphaltimus

Thanks! Well, my next step is going to be adding some red flickering LEDS to the innards. I want the "fire effect" inside lighting to "leak" out around any gaps. Like around face plates and the vent holes etc... I also (as a suggestion from someone on facebook) want to redo the Amiga faceplate. Going to cut out the faceplate so that "Amiga" is flush and I'm going to planar power sand it from the back until the plastic fill is gone allowing me to illuminate "Amiga" from the inside as well. I will probably resort to a little joint compound around "Amiga" to hide any imperfections in the cut. Then sand paint the faceplate again.