English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 17 July 2017, 20:59   #21
Amiga1992

I use a 1084 because it just works fine with both my Amigas and C64s. PVMs need special connectors and also not all have Y/C/SVideo.

As for what is better, definitely a PVM over a 1084. 1084s are built like shit and as said before many times, the definition is much better.
Old 17 July 2017, 21:00   #22
mark_k

You could probably expect things like convergence and geometry to be less well-adjusted on a 1084. Voltage regulation will likely be worse too, meaning the image size will vary more as the overall picture brightness changes.

On the other hand, both monitors would be fairly old nowadays, so calibration drift over time as components age would affect both.
Old 17 July 2017, 21:47   #23
idrougge

The step up is like that from a TV to a 1084.

Quote:
On the other hand, both monitors would be fairly old nowadays, so calibration drift over time as components age would affect both.
Not really. CRT broadcast monitors were made quite a while into this century whereas the last 1084 was made in 1994 and most of them around 1990-91.

Last edited by idrougge; 18 July 2017 at 01:48.
Old 22 July 2017, 13:36   #24
iddqd

It would be interesting with some kind of compiled list of broadcast monitors, model and maker.

I know Snoy, JVC, and Ikegami are some of the manufacturers.
Old 22 July 2017, 16:17   #25
Photon

Both PVM and BVM are better than 1084 because they cost a lot more to make

The scanlines are actually thinner because they are less blurry, more accurate. But all CRT monitors can be adjusted if you can get the service manual.

All CRT monitors give a better picture than a CRT TV. But no monitor is "automatically good". All depends on hours, burn-in, and storage. So basically you don't want to buy one without picture proof or checking it.

Remotes for PVM/BVM were boxes on top of the unit with knobs on.

PVM/BVM are good for retro gaming because they have the lines to fully support more resolutions for various consoles and computer. But the largest size is 25" (which in fairness is pretty big). There's also Ikegama.

And Sony/Dell Trinitron PC monitors, which sync down beautifully. But like most PC monitors they have a very thin phosphor layer, making 50 Hz very flickery. Tested and not recommended.

For Amiga, get one with 600 lines and component. Stay away from S-Video, at least if you pay any money for it.
Old 22 July 2017, 17:41   #26
Pyromania

Sony 25 XBR has RGB in and always worked great with Amiga.
Old 23 July 2017, 18:32   #27
kgc210

JVC and Panasonic also made Broadcast Monitors.

A few things to note the older Sony models only support 240P which is fine for most gaming, but if you want to say use a Dreamcast in 480P you will struggle as only a few support 480P.

You will also quite often need a SCART to BNC cable with an LM1881 chip to get the signal into the monitor.

Also don't skimp on your SCART switch if plugging more than one source into your monitor!
Old 23 July 2017, 22:49   #28
UberFreak

The PVM/BVM with HR Trinitron tubes are amazing, much better than 1084 for my eyes.
Higher dot pitch, more stable image, especially during peak white and light/dark transitions.

Also, they were designed to work 24/7 and handle heat much better.
Over the years, I've found 2 units in the trash, in areas where I worked.
Both units still work to this day, never had any issues with them.

My only regret is giving away a 20" PVM to a friend, at the time I had no use for it but now would pay to get it back, but he's using it in an arcade cabinet (and it looks incredible).
Old 24 July 2017, 02:55   #29
Pyromania

@UberFreak

Where's a good place to buy a Sony PVM/BVM today?
Old 07 August 2017, 19:39   #30
iddqd

WAIT! I just realized something: does broadcast monitors not have speakers? So no audio? How is this usually solved, provided I don't want to rig it into my stereo?
Old 07 August 2017, 21:26   #31
jimbob

Mine has a not too shabby at all really mono input and single speaker. I guess most of the Sony ones are the same. Fine for A600/A1200/CD32 with a single connector and ok for A500 with a simple stereo to mono RCA adaptor. But you really do want to hook it into your stereo!
Old 08 August 2017, 05:51   #32
thgill

Most of the smaller broadcast monitors have a mono audio input with a mono speaker.

Some of the larger ones (25+ inches) have stereo speakers or hook ups for stereo speakers.
Old 08 August 2017, 11:50   #33
kgc210

The NEC XM29 Plus has built in speakers, you can even control the volume with the remote.
But I just run a dedicated amp and speakers for my setup.
Old 08 August 2017, 13:49   #34
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
WAIT! I just realized something: does broadcast monitors not have speakers? So no audio? How is this usually solved, provided I don't want to rig it into my stereo?
They don't. Almost all monitors and most TVs have ultra crappy sound - it has simply an afterthought or at least secondary in priority. A relatively recent 2.1 system for PC does a better job than most of them, that's what I use except for one setup that has a Philips stereo with big quality speakers. I never use the built in speakers in my TVs or monitors.

Broadcast monitors are almost always shielded so that you can put speakers pretty near to them without risk of deflection/needing degauss.
Old 09 August 2017, 06:00   #35
thgill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Broadcast monitors are almost always shielded so that you can put speakers pretty near to them without risk of deflection/needing degauss.
Are you sure about this? Because it's not been my experience with them. I have opened and been inside several Sony and JVC broadcast monitors and they have NOT had any extra shielding to protect them from magnetic fields. Typically that needs to be incorporated into the speakers themselves.
Old 09 August 2017, 18:53   #36
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thgill View Post
Are you sure about this? Because it's not been my experience with them. I have opened and been inside several Sony and JVC broadcast monitors and they have NOT had any extra shielding to protect them from magnetic fields. Typically that needs to be incorporated into the speakers themselves.
Try it, you should get no changed colors when you put them near. If you do, degauss it and post a pic of the monitor because that would be interesting.
Old 09 August 2017, 19:22   #37
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Try it, you should get no changed colors when you put them near.
But that depends on the speakers. Good speakers will be properly shielded and create no issues.
My Yamaha monitors create no issues with the very nearby 1084s I have, yet the EU 1571 I have creates wobbling from far distance.

I don't have a PVM to test, but I am sure that damn 1571 will warp the image. It's radioactive :P
Old 09 August 2017, 20:14   #38
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
But that depends on the speakers. Good speakers will be properly shielded and create no issues.
My Yamaha monitors create no issues with the very nearby 1084s I have, yet the EU 1571 I have creates wobbling from far distance.

I don't have a PVM to test, but I am sure that damn 1571 will warp the image. It's radioactive :P

Excluded the speakers, because "nobody" has shielded speakers. Well, you and I do.

And it's linear. If you use a large enough set of speakers, no shield will deflect all EM.
Old 10 August 2017, 01:45   #39
Jack Burton
It's all in the reflexes!

Some broadcast monitors have a degauss system. My PVM (14M4E) does an automatic degaussing when powered on. So far I never experienced any typical purple/red image artefact with my external speakers which are located at approximately 1 centimeter from this monitor.

As an aside I'll add that I liked my 1084s better (I know, I'm propably the only one in the world who prefer a 1084 over a PVM ).
The image on the PVM is sharper hence it is aliased to a certain extent, maybe because it's a HR model, I don't know...
On the 1084s the image is "soften" since the dot pitch is inferior to the PVM but still enough precise for pixel art (which is what I use my Amiga for). I liked the 1084 soft natural 'antialiasing'.

The problem is that 1084s are fragile. I had 3 over the time and the 3 broke. The PVM on the other hand is extremely robust (and heavy btw).

Oh, and my PVM doesn't like my MSX2+ (nor my F030 either)... But it wasn't a prob with my 1084s...
Old 10 August 2017, 08:17   #40
Jope
-

PVMs usually have a speaker, BVMs do not. The companies that needed/could afford a BVM had expensive monitoring speakers (Genelec or whatever) in their studio anyway.