English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 29 May 2015, 22:58   #1
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Hipoonios longplays

I have thought to create a thread about my longplay videos for a long time now. I have seen many others created threads about their Youtube videos, so why not me too?

I have recorded these longplays (playthroughs) for about ten years now. I remember i was the one who uploaded the very first longplay to Youtube back in 2006 And now ten years later have i played through more than 600 Amiga games! Which I'm very proud of

After closed down Recorded Amiga Games for two years ago have i continued make longplay videos. But only for my own Youtube channel. By looking at the number of views my videos gets. so believe not many people know about it. That's one of the reasons to why i wanted to create this thread. The second is to tell you with games i have recorded every month. And the third, let people make requests of games they want to be played through. I play almost exclusively only Amiga games and ALL the games i playing have not been played through before. That means, I never play games that already have been longplayed before. So before you request, search youtube to check if there are not a longplay already.

I have saved the source of all my videos. So one day will a put a website up so they can be downloaded to.

Link to my channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/hipoonios/videos
Old 29 May 2015, 23:20   #2
vulture

thx man, highly appreciated!
Old 29 May 2015, 23:24   #3
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Shamefully I hadn't even considered to look for a youtube channel after crying for a long time that thesitewiththenamethatistoolong.org.gov.biz.ru was shut down. I loved that site in all its quirkiness. Heck, I still have the last video I downloaded from it just as a treasured memory. SUB!

Shamefully? Stupidly actually. I see the Claw is also still at it:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Ironclaw007

Somehow it just feels morally wrong to subscribe to that channel. I feel like when I do that, a pony dies.
Old 29 May 2015, 23:27   #4
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

As you can see, I have been very active recently. Listing here what I have recorded this year so far:

January:
  1. [ Show youtube player ]
  2. [ Show youtube player ]
  3. [ Show youtube player ]

February:
  4. [ Show youtube player ]
  5. [ Show youtube player ]
  6. [ Show youtube player ]
  7. [ Show youtube player ]
  8. [ Show youtube player ]
  9. [ Show youtube player ]
  10. [ Show youtube player ]

Mars:
  11. [ Show youtube player ]
  12. [ Show youtube player ]
  13. [ Show youtube player ]
  14. [ Show youtube player ]
  15. [ Show youtube player ]
  16. [ Show youtube player ]
  17. [ Show youtube player ]
  18. [ Show youtube player ]
  19. [ Show youtube player ]
  20. [ Show youtube player ]
  21. [ Show youtube player ]
  22. [ Show youtube player ]
  23. [ Show youtube player ]
  24. [ Show youtube player ]
  25. [ Show youtube player ]
  26. [ Show youtube player ]
  27. [ Show youtube player ]
  28. [ Show youtube player ]
  29. [ Show youtube player ]
  30. [ Show youtube player ]
  31. [ Show youtube player ]
  32. [ Show youtube player ]

April:

Last edited by hipoonios; 01 June 2015 at 18:27.
Old 29 May 2015, 23:34   #5
Bugala

Thanks from those videos.

It is not so much that people dont know about those longplay videos, but rather they havent been knowing a handy place from where to see them all.

For example I had seen some of your longplay videos (like had seen some others as well) in youtube, but only recently realised to click on your name and "videos" tag to see them all. I have now checked some of your more recent videos, especially the most recent one (or at least was most recent when i last checked) where you were looking for that treasure by giving cordinates was quite amusing and tells about how thorough you are in playing all the Amiga games when you play even something like that.
And I have to say, I have not wanted to take the trouble of first getting that game and then play it, but I did enjoy watching it on your longplay. It was actually surprisingly good looking game for such a simple concept (but that still doesnt make it good game).

Since you made longplay of my Help My Cat! game, I would also like to give you suggestion for new kind of longplay video (which should be given different name than longplay i think).

For one thing I have noticed that helps a lot is when you see someone else play your game for first time. Especially when the game is adventure puzzle solving kind.

As example, I always thought that wooden board piece puzzle was simply idiotically easy, and also that there is absolutely no mistaking that it is a board. I never even thought anyone could think it as something else as a piece of board. But when i have watched two friends play that game, neither of them got it. They were both wondering what is that brown thing, and that really amazes me. But things like that are important to know for future developments.

Without having seen those two friends play it, if i would do similar wood board puzzle in other game, i would be repeating the same mistake by assuming it being the clearest graphics possible and simplest puzzle ever. Now i know different.

Hence. I think it would be greatly helpful if you would also make videos of new Amiga games being released, where you play them for first time and try to figure out how to play that game in the first place. Even better if you would even comment about your thoughts along the way.

That would really help finding out what is clear to people about that game, and what was hard to figure out. As example from Help My Cat!, sure, I did mention it in that title screen (which is text only) that use "jump" - button on trampolin, but yet it took a while for other tester friend to figure that out, which shows that just in title screen mentioning those controls, are not clear enough yet.

Also, when i tried with friends, the attitude wasnt same as yours. I know that when you play, you are much closer to average player than those friends in attitude difference.

To get back to that title screen instruction. Both friends attitude was bit in way of "A friends game, well, lets give it a try". It is done with high interest, but still bit half hearted. While i can imagine when you start the game, your attitude is "I want to play a game. Im going to try this new game", and i believe the latter one will be reading instructions better. So maybe that jump thing is nothing to worry about actually.

But all in all. I believe many recent freeware (and why not commercial ones too) would be very happy from videos like that and they would help a mile to figure out how to make future games better and what worked and what didnt, were controls easy to figure out, or was there something specific that would have needed to be instructed differently, etc.

Buy the way, when I clicked on that "videos" tab on youtube on your page/channel (whatever that is called) i was surprised how often you make those videos. I thought you make infrequently at average once a month, but you might actually make them several in a week!

Thanks from all your effort, and keep it up!

While there are many a game I wish to replay myself, some of the games I only wish to see, and these longplays are great for that. I perhaps just want to remind myself of some specific part of the game, and with your (and others) longplays, i can do just that.
Old 30 May 2015, 00:03   #6
s2325
Zone Friend

few longplay propositions
Gate 2 Freedom http://hol.abime.net/2702
Gulp http://hol.abime.net/2807
Zone Warrior http://hol.abime.net/1632
Humans 3 http://hol.abime.net/760
Steg the Slug http://hol.abime.net/2117
Old 30 May 2015, 00:05   #7
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

might as well do PuzCat since you completed it already!
Old 01 June 2015, 18:26   #8
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

The month of May was yet another successful month. 29 playthroughs recorded!

And as usual, only Amiga and all new (newer longplayed by someone else before).

25. [ Show youtube player ]
  26. [ Show youtube player ]
  27. [ Show youtube player ]
  28. [ Show youtube player ]
  29. [ Show youtube player ]
Old 01 June 2015, 21:31   #9
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

wow Cyborg Crisis looks like Night Stalker on the Intellivision

Thank you for doing PuzCat!
Old 01 June 2015, 22:14   #10
Amiga1992

I'm glad you're still around man, really appreciate your uploads, I have always been fascinated by the world of PD games and there's so much to cover! Your channel is a perfect "gateway drug" into that world Keep it up!
Old 02 June 2015, 05:22   #11
amiman99

Thanks for playing my game (Marco...)! @hipoonios
Old 02 June 2015, 14:13   #12
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Nice videos there! But you cheated on BMX Simulator
Old 02 June 2015, 15:38   #13
Sandro
Banned

jesuschrist what a bunch of horrible games
I do not even waste 1 min in my life playing that
Old 02 June 2015, 18:36   #14
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Shamefully I hadn't even considered to look for a youtube channel after crying for a long time that thesitewiththenamethatistoolong.org.gov.biz.ru was shut down. I loved that site in all its quirkiness. Heck, I still have the last video I downloaded from it just as a treasured memory. SUB!

Shamefully? Stupidly actually. I see the Claw is also still at it:

Somehow it just feels morally wrong to subscribe to that channel. I feel like when I do that, a pony dies.
Ha Ha, don't SUB to his channel! He sucks He mostly recording old games that have been recorded so many times before and reupload his old crap. And the worst of it all. He also submit all his videos to the World of Longlays. I asked him why the hell he can be so stupid to do that. He said, he don't have motivation to create Amiga videos if nobody watch or comment his videos. Their channel is a lot popular of his own, so they getting more views there

Now i know he will read this, so i must say something good about his videos too. His videos are good quality (HD, cropped, etc) and SOMETIMES he is recording new stuff.

Thanks for subbing to me

Last edited by hipoonios; 02 June 2015 at 19:50.
Old 02 June 2015, 18:46   #15
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
wow Cyborg Crisis looks like Night Stalker on the Intellivision

Thank you for doing PuzCat!
No problem! Really enjoyed playing it. Could be even better with more levels, and in-game music etc of course
Old 02 June 2015, 18:47   #16
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiman99 View Post
Thanks for playing my game (Marco...)! @hipoonios
Thanks mate, Marco is the without doubt the best Amiga game created with Backbone. I know Tales of Gorluth is also good. But never liked Zelda/top down games very much.
Old 02 June 2015, 18:56   #17
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I'm glad you're still around man, really appreciate your uploads, I have always been fascinated by the world of PD games and there's so much to cover! Your channel is a perfect "gateway drug" into that world Keep it up!
Thanks!

Nice to hear that someone more than myself enjoying PD games. And there are not many people who record PD games so many people do not know about them. HOL missing a lot of good PD games I have played. I think many of them is worth to be added to the database.
Old 02 June 2015, 19:01   #18
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
jesuschrist what a bunch of horrible games
I do not even waste 1 min in my life playing that
Did you check them all? Some of them are pretty good, and not all of them are PD. I have played about 70% PD games this year because that's the category that have not been covered yet. I'm more than happy that not many recording them. Because i like them
Old 02 June 2015, 19:12   #19
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Maybe i should put all my replies into one post instead?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamiga2002 View Post
Nice videos there! But you cheated on BMX Simulator
I never use trainers or cheatcodes when I play games. Instead, I practice a lot, before I start recording a game. However, I use savestates. And BMX Simulator is one of the games there i used them frequently (said that in my video comment).

Last edited by hipoonios; 02 June 2015 at 19:22.
Old 02 June 2015, 19:16   #20
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

btw a while back you got ten minutes into Mr Beanbag and seemed to conclude that level doesn't have an exit... well it does and you nearly found it, but got jumping around instead and ended up going backwards round one of the level's other routes... bad level design on our part, i apologise. But if you only just sit on the raft the water level raises it up to the top!