English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 21 October 2005, 23:38   #1
Brad77

Is my laptop too old and crap for WinUAE.

I've downloaded WinUAE and played a few games on my desktop and I'm wondering if my laptop would be good enough to play.
It's only a PentiumII 333MHz, 128Mb and S3VirgeMX grahpics.
I tried to play a game and the display was a few stripey grey squares in the corners.
I'm sure i read somewhere that the minimum specs for WinUAE are a PentiumII 300.
Are there any settings I can change to make it run faster or better?

Oh by the way I'm new to all this, Not Amiga's though I've got one in a cupboard at my parent's house, just fancied playing some old games on my laptop.

Thanks to anyone that can help me.

Brad.

Old 21 October 2005, 23:52   #2
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Your craptop will probably be a bit too slow. When I tried playing games on a 300 Mhz computer, I noticed that it was (strangely) the sound emulation that really slowed it down. The games might play better without sound emulation, but how fun would that be?

But I could be wrong, so just try it out and see.

Last edited by mr_a500; 21 October 2005 at 23:59.
Old 22 October 2005, 00:19   #3
Brad77

I tried it with sound disabled and still the display was just stiped grey rectangles.
So I think you're right the craptop is too crap.

Thanks for the quick response though.

Brad.

Old 22 October 2005, 00:27   #4
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

You shouldn't be seeing graphics distortion just because of slow processor speed. Your "grey rectangle" problem is probably either corrupt files or configuration problem. Try some other games/programs with your current config and see what happens.
Old 22 October 2005, 04:34   #5
Chuckles
The Ancient One

If you manage to get games working on the laptop reasonably well without sound and you want to try adding sound back, I'd suggest that you pick a low frequency setting, as that may lighten the load a bit on WinUAE, and I would suggest using the smallest screen resolution possible for the same reason. You might also have to change the refresh setting on the display panel to every second or third frame while you're just trying to get it to work. I've never actually tried WinUAE on a PII/333, but was able to run most games on a PIII/500 several versions back without changing the refresh rate and they worked well. The differences in the architecture of the PII and PIII though make the difference between 333 and 500 greater than it sounds, so it might not be possible to get it to run with acceptable performance, if it will run at all. Good luck with it though.
Old 22 October 2005, 06:00   #6
OddbOd

It would be worth your time trying WinFellow as well, it usually runs faster than WinUAE at the expense of emulation accuracy.
Old 22 October 2005, 17:46   #7
Brad77

I've got it working, I changed to running in full-screen mode and it worked.
I started with low res and no sound, and I've just played a game at 640x480 -8bit with low frequency emulated sound. It seemed to run fine.
I've only tried two games so far (Nitro and Speedball2) both worked fine.
Now i just need to figure out which keyboard input map i need to choose to use the cursor keys.

I think I'll have a look at WinFellow some time.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys.

Brad.

Old 22 October 2005, 17:55   #8
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

I think that with proper configuration should work well. I had winuae on a p2 266 and allow me to run all the games i put into it with full sound, so i guess with a bit of patience and tweaking, you can made it.
Old 26 October 2005, 15:56   #9
Phiber
Hardware Freak

Send a message via MSN to Phiber
Shouldn't MiniUAE (A500-emulation only) be a little lighter to run than the full blown version of WinUAE?
Old 10 November 2005, 22:29   #10
Mnemesi

I'll throw in my two-bits worth since I have a similar situation.

I'm running a Thinkpad 390X P2-400 and I used both WinUAE-Mini (the stripped down 'speed' version) and WinFellow. WinUAE-Mini's sound usually breaks up fairly regularly on it, though actual speed of the games is pretty much unaffected. I have the best luck with WinFellow, which has good sound and speed, though unfortunately it doesn't emulate as many things as WinUAE does. Use it WinFellow first, and then fall back to WinUAE.
Old 10 November 2005, 23:21   #11
spiff
Oh noes!

I'd say, use JIT. It's not great for games, but when it works it's damn fast.
Old 11 November 2005, 10:24   #12
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Go back about 10 versions of WinUAE and see if that helps.

Compatibility has improved but emulation requires more horsepower.
Old 15 November 2005, 00:30   #13
andyr

I was just going to suggest that!

The old P2 333 (slot 1 chip!) I have here runs WinUAE 0.8.22r4 with most A500 based titles running at full speed. A1200 stuff stutters a bit though!

Version 1.1.1 just stutters with everything on the same system.
Old 15 November 2005, 01:45   #14
Mnemesi

I'm curious how high you can take the versions before you notice a drop in speed/sound quality.
Old 15 November 2005, 05:50   #15
Chuckles
The Ancient One

That would be hard to say. If you went back as far as the WinUAE versions before Toni took over the project, I think you'd see that performance actually improved quite a bit as he made some of his earlier fixes. At least, that's the way it seemed to me. Later on, as the emulation gained in both features and compatibility, that started to use up some of the CPU cycles that had been reclaimed, and eventually used up all of them and a few more. So depending on how far back you go, you might find that you can still move forward from there and actually get some performance back.
Old 15 November 2005, 14:07   #16
Mnemesi

As it stands with v822r4, I'm getting splendid performance with a P2-400. I'm not highly motivated to use any other version since it plays Extase and can read IPFs. I am curious, specifically noted in the earlier post, why v822r4 was chosen as the optimal version for 300-400 mhz, versus any of the other revisions around it...

My favorite game to test is Agony, which is exceptionally intensive for a non-AGA game. The music tends to break up fairly easily -- under WinUAE 1.11, it's excruiciating to listen to on a slow processor.

The thing that seems to help the most with sound break-ups as well as increasing playability is to set it to drop every second frame out of the display settings. The music immediately stops stuttering, and the smoothness of the animation actually increases (though you can clearly see the owl's shots only appear at every other space in the firing line - doesn't affect gameplay really).

What's really fun is tinkering with the CPU/Chipset slider. Set it to CPU, and I've watched games that were nearly unplayably slow on the Amiga suddenly become fluid and dreamy experiences (like most of the 3d vector games).

I'd have to say after experimenting with v822r4, I've lost some of my motivation for using WinFellow - I suspect most of the reason why WinFellow is getting popular is there's a lot of newer people out there who don't know where to look for the faster versions of the highly compatable WinUAE, and just go with the more obvious champion of the slow processor, WinFellow.