English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 July 2018, 22:20   #21
Nasenbluten
Teenage Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel_w View Post
The disk controller on a PC can’t write Amiga floppys but the Amiga’s controller can read PC disks, with the right program. Workbench versions somewhere around 2.0 came with Cross DOS (maybe it started with Workbench 2.1) to read PC disks. An A2500 can most likely only read DD disks (720 kB).

So if you get Workbench running, see if you have a file called PC0 in Storage/Dosdrivers or Devs/dosdrivers. It might be on one of the extra disks if you boot from floppy.

Darn. I could almost taste that feeling of transferring that Workbench .ADF to a floppy and making that work.

If I don't get a workbench floppy, I'm gonna need to experiment a little again with the Amiga itself trying to get it to autoboot from the drive, otherwise I need to put this project on hold until I can obtain a Workbench floppy if I can't make it work.

Is there seriously no way to make an Amiga floppy with a PC? Perhaps even with WinUAE or Linux or AROS?

If there is no way I'm probably gonna have to resort asking my friend's dad to help me out, but I would really like to avoid that fate.
Old 23 July 2018, 02:53   #22
idrougge

There is no sensible way to write an Amiga disk with a PC.
Old 23 July 2018, 08:27   #23
Jope
-

Writing amiga disks on a PC is only possible with extra hardware. Catweasel, kryoflux etc.
Old 23 July 2018, 17:51   #24
Nasenbluten
Teenage Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
There is no sensible way to write an Amiga disk with a PC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Writing amiga disks on a PC is only possible with extra hardware. Catweasel, kryoflux etc.
Shoot.
What should I do for now then?
Workbench disks seem to come only WITH new amigas looking through my local listings on ebay.

I guess I can try experimenting with the current setup again some more, maybe I can somehow find the magic configuration and get it working anyhow?

Any other ideas?
Old 23 July 2018, 19:34   #25
nogginthenog
Amigan

Do you have any bootable floppy disks at all? 3rd party disks often had small parts of Workbench.
Old 23 July 2018, 19:44   #26
Nasenbluten
Teenage Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
Do you have any bootable floppy disks at all? 3rd party disks often had small parts of Workbench.

All disks I have I tried wielded no results, though since I have time this week I can look around again if I can find anymore that have been hidden away.
Old 24 July 2018, 12:03   #27
Joel_w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasenbluten View Post
All disks I have I tried wielded no results, though since I have time this week I can look around again if I can find anymore that have been hidden away.
No results at all or did they just not boot to Workbench? Application disks are not guaranteed to be bootable but probably more than 99 % of all games should boot by themselves from its first disk, without a hard drive or Workbench disk.

So try to get it to boot a game if you have any, if it doesn’t even do that a Workbench disk won’t help anyway.

If not it sounds like your disk drive is either connected wrong or broken (maybe just dirty). Does the disk drive make a regular clicking sound when the computer is turned on with no disk in the drive? And does it make sounds when you put a disk in? They are pretty loud so you should hear it if it’s trying.
Old 25 July 2018, 12:48   #28
Nasenbluten
Teenage Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel_w View Post
No results at all or did they just not boot to Workbench? Application disks are not guaranteed to be bootable but probably more than 99 % of all games should boot by themselves from its first disk, without a hard drive or Workbench disk.

So try to get it to boot a game if you have any, if it doesn’t even do that a Workbench disk won’t help anyway.

If not it sounds like your disk drive is either connected wrong or broken (maybe just dirty). Does the disk drive make a regular clicking sound when the computer is turned on with no disk in the drive? And does it make sounds when you put a disk in? They are pretty loud so you should hear it if it’s trying.

No results at all, no lights and no noises.

I think I connected it wrong somehow, I mean I have only very little experience hooking up floppy drives because by the time I really got into computers they were considered beyond outdated.

I'm considering asking around locally for a professional, and see what they can do in terms of getting it up and running because for now I'm stuck and starting next week I'm gonna be too busy to mess with it some more.

If I can't find one I'll take it to the afforementioned friend's dad.

Talking about noises, the harddrive spun to life and went fairly fast before slowing down again and not really doing anything whenever I connected it, if that is of any help.

Thank you all so much for your help, while I'm not too much further than before in connection terms I am very grateful that you have helped me know much more than what I could have found out with googling.