English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 02 June 2017, 18:10   #41
Sinphaltimus

Akira - Have you tried scanning all your ADF files with this -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
Download ADFscan19b1.zip from this link.

http://oldstuff.amigabase.de/ADFScan/

Its a pc program that will scan your adf files for amiga viruses. It can't clean them but at least you will know which ones are really infected.
source: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...4&postcount=11

It's super fast and just identifies most common infections - foes not fix.
Old 02 June 2017, 18:18   #42
Amiga1992

I don't need to, mai already singled out the only disk with viruses that went past my eye. Also I thought ADF Workshop did this too and I used that.
Bad dumps were more prominent than virii and I also fixed that now.

ransom: about your problem, what happens if you use a fresh selector ADF and try to put stuff in slots? Will the same problem happen using that USB stick?
Old 02 June 2017, 18:33   #43
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I will check Gamebase if I can get the games only, thanks for that tip, I didn't know. I just never cared for Gamebase at all. At least, I hope, it won't have games that have been infected with viruses!!! I still can't understand why this shit is allowed in TOSEC.
So that you can steer clear of ADFs infected with viruses.

People seem to confuse TOSEC with a software collection. It isn't. It's a list of files. You can use TOSEC to go through your files, finding out the correct name, year and publisher for that file, if it's one disk or five disk, if it's cracked or if it has a virus.

Some people gather all files they can get and run them through TOSEC. But what you end up with is a collection of files checked against the TOSEC list, not TOSEC itself. The fact that TOSEC catalogues a lot of virus infected disks is simply because there are a lot of virus infected disks out there.

And thanks to TOSEC, you can make a collection of disks that don't have viruses. You're using it as intended.
Old 02 June 2017, 19:04   #44
ransom1122

Quote:
I don't need to, mai already singled out the only disk with viruses that went past my eye. Also I thought ADF Workshop did this too and I used that.
Bad dumps were more prominent than virii and I also fixed that now.

ransom: about your problem, what happens if you use a fresh selector ADF and try to put stuff in slots? Will the same problem happen using that USB stick?
I tried using my selector from my other usb but same result. It will be interesting to see anyone else using your games on their gotek and ehat usb brand stick they use.
Old 02 June 2017, 19:22   #45
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
And thanks to TOSEC, you can make a collection of disks that don't have viruses. You're using it as intended.
I guess seen that way, you are right. I always thought it was a collection of absolutely everything, and most people download TOSEC packs of actual images (not just the DATs) and this include the virused files which create issues. I just think that practice (I did the same) just extends the proliferation of them. Files marked [v] should be in the database but not available for download.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
I tried using my selector from my other usb but same result. It will be interesting to see anyone else using your games on their gotek and ehat usb brand stick they use.
I have a shitty USB we got for free as convention swag. I doubt it's picky. Have you tried an 8GB one? I never used a 16GB with the Gotek.
What happens if you partition the USB as 8GB?
Old 02 June 2017, 19:48   #46
idrougge

Quote:
I guess seen that way, you are right. I always thought it was a collection of absolutely everything, and most people download TOSEC packs of actual images (not just the DATs) and this include the virused files which create issues. I just think that practice (I did the same) just extends the proliferation of them. Files marked [v] should be in the database but not available for download.
Yeah, but that is down to those who make things available for download (try to find any packs at tosecdev.org). But they tend to have a "gotta catch them all" mentality.

Quote:
I have a shitty USB we got for free as convention swag. I doubt it's picky. Have you tried an 8GB one? I never used a 16GB with the Gotek.
It is actually quite picky. That's why I use free press kit USB sticks with mine.
Old 02 June 2017, 20:27   #47
mai

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
But they tend to have a "gotta catch them all" mentality.
Maybe it looks like this!
But it is not that easy as most of you think.
As you mentioned for yourself TOSEC is a cataloging initiative.
If a disk was spreaded or even published in the past with virus, TOSEC catalogues such disks too, we dont remove any virus, but its clearly marked as virus infected.
Another topic are those many bad disks in TOSEC and at least at the moment they are there for valid reasons!
There are a lot of examples, where we were able to recreate the original working disk image, because we have 2 different corrupted disk images - thats the second TOSEC initiative - preservation, althought this recreated potentially 100% disk image was never found until now, we both are aware of this dilemma of dying disks.
to clarify, we dont add anything, we never add any alternates, where unused sectors are filled with "DOS" or "XCOPY) or different datestamps of files or different highscores on gamesdisks!
At least at the moment it is not an option to remove any potentially unneeded disk images.
Old 03 June 2017, 06:11   #48
ransom1122

Quote:

What happens if you partition the USB as 8GB?
Further testing on my issues with your SELECTOR and games, I have tried a previously working on Gotek 8gb usb stick, dumped your selector and games onto it, and have same results. No games loading except for slot "000".

So as an experiment I manually chose Alien Syndrome and placed it in the same slot you put it in at slot "025" Ticked "Save & Resume"

Then I launched slot 025 with Alien Syndrome & it works, though no other slots work beside 025.

I then manually attached Amazing spiderman & Captain America ADF in slot 026 llike you have, Save & Resume, now slot 025 & 026 only work?

I think what you have saved with your selector somehow on your Gotek, only works with your Gotek unless you manually re select each ADF and save all 999 games in each slot (again).

Unless Someone else who has a Gotek can try your Selector & your games on their Gotek and see if it actually works?
Old 03 June 2017, 06:16   #49
Amiga1992

Hmm that would be annoying but maube possible. I will make a new Selector, I had to reflash my Gotek and will test some things. But I created the playlist with the Windows editor so I doubt it, maybe my file just got corrupted.
Old 03 June 2017, 06:20   #50
ransom1122

Maybe...

Another way to test if you can somehow test your usb & Gotek on another Amiga to know for sure it works.

Maybe the new selector will fix it, I am just curious to know wether you can transfer a selector & games to another amiga with a Gotek in the first place.
Old 03 June 2017, 07:07   #51
Amiga1992

I only have one gotek but I can definitely test it with different Amigas.

I just reflashed my Gotek and will start the selector from scratch after I finish cleaning up, adding and deleting files from the pack so I can upload it again.

In the meantime it would be great to know if anybody else managed to test the old pack to see if this happens to anyone else.

Since HxCEdit (what I am using to create the playlist) is agnostic to the specific gotek you are using, transferring should be just fine.
Old 03 June 2017, 15:36   #52
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mai View Post
Maybe it looks like this!
But it is not that easy as most of you think.
As you mentioned for yourself TOSEC is a cataloging initiative.
If a disk was spreaded or even published in the past with virus, TOSEC catalogues such disks too, we dont remove any virus, but its clearly marked as virus infected.
I think we said basically the same thing. I was referring to people who distribute things marked with [b] and [v] as a general games repository when it's not.
Old 03 June 2017, 22:06   #53
BrooksterMax

Quote:
In the meantime it would be great to know if anybody else managed to test the old pack to see if this happens to anyone else.
I have the old pack, I could not get any image to boot. I can see everything listed on 000 but nothing loads.

If you do another issue, happy to test out. Thanks for your efforts
Old 03 June 2017, 23:54   #54
Amiga1992

Weird. I'll have to do more testing. I broke my Gotek so this could take a while ☹
Old 04 June 2017, 02:22   #55
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksterMax View Post
I have the old pack, I could not get any image to boot. I can see everything listed on 000 but nothing loads.

If you do another issue, happy to test out. Thanks for your efforts
I thought it was just me. Thanks for testing. Now the real big question

Can anyone use anyone else's gotek selector without having to re select each every adf back in their own slot again?

@Akira.

Sorry to hear you buggered up your gotek. Hope you get it working again soon mate.
Old 04 June 2017, 05:32   #56
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post

Can anyone use anyone else's gotek selector without having to re select each every adf back in their own slot again?
i made the selector menu using HxCEdit on my PC, not with the Gotek, if that didn't work it would beat the purpose of HxCEdit existing, as I said, the software is gotek-agnostic.

Unless it has bugs that create issues.
Old 04 June 2017, 05:58   #57
ransom1122

Quote:
i made the selector menu using HxCEdit on my PC, not with the Gotek, if that didn't work it would beat the purpose of HxCEdit existing, as I said, the software is gotek-agnostic.

Unless it has bugs that create issues.
I never touched anything about that. My selector came with the mini 8gb Black USB Stick combined with the Gotek I purchased. I also have 2 seperate Black/Red Sandisk 8GB usb sticks that have all the ADF's on them, they work on my gotek as well.
Old 05 June 2017, 08:29   #58
Amiga1992

So now I understand why SELECTOR.ADF does not work and will never work as things stand.

Found this info on the Gotek ADF edit page (http://www.ifoedit.com/GotekADFEdit.html):
Quote:
the config files SELECTOR.ADF or HXCSDFE.CFG are storing the starting cluster of each adf file. If you change adf files on your stick, like deleting some, and adding new ones onto the stick, you will have to remake your entire Selector.adf config file, because the starting clusters are different.
Thanks to alpine9000 for pointing this out in another thread, he was right and also it seems HxC has this problem too.

This means that the selectors are dependent on the stick they reside on and on the FAT structure existing at the time the menu was created. Even if you change the stick in any minor way, Selector doesn't work anymore. Really annoying.

Tl;DR version:
- Make a USB stick and move it between Goteks - works
- Make an image of a USB stick you made for Gotek and write it to other sticks - works
- Make a USB stick and move/copy SELECTOR.ADF or HXCSDFE.CFG between sticks: does not work.

Addendum: adding files to a USB stick already made will break SELECTOR.ADF and HXCSDFE.CFG

I wonder if Jeff can change he way this works with the HxC firmware? It would be great to be able to swap playlists. Wonder if it's possible to do it by filename instead.
Old 05 June 2017, 10:53   #59
ransom1122

Interesting, I knew something fishy was going on there.

So to share your own gotek stick, You need to make an image 1st of it and rewrite the image back onto a USB stick. So it is possible then. Great
Old 05 June 2017, 13:06   #60
BrooksterMax

Thanks for following up and good to know cause has been found. I have to say, I am very impressed with the Gotek device overall, I have one for my Amiga and ST, so very versatile things at a low cost too.