English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 07 March 2013, 23:56   #61
prowler
Global Moderator

I received my ADF transfer kit today, thanks!
Old 02 April 2013, 21:42   #62
ikonsgr

I have made a couple of updates for the adf transfer program:

For both 32bit and 64bit versions:
I got feedback from a couple of friends that use the kit on a pc with 2 parallel ports, so i've added a list box with all the available port addresses to choose.

For 64bit version:
I received some messages from people trying to use the 64bit version of the program, complaining about an error message of "can't find dosbox-svn-daum.conf file".
This happens if the dosbox configuration file is "Read only", which usually happens when the hole adf transfer folder is "read only".
So i update the 64bit version of the program, to automatically "uncheck" the read only attribute of dosbox.conf, and eliminate this nuisance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	adf_trans_new.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	34939  
Old 02 April 2013, 22:10   #63
prowler
Global Moderator

Thanks for your support, ikonsgr!
Old 03 April 2013, 20:13   #64
Hoopz

Awesome solution! Would love to purchase the kit that comes with the parallel pci card. Can't find that one on eBay.
Old 03 April 2013, 20:22   #65
ikonsgr

I run out of pci parallel cards, that's why you can't find it!
In a few days i believe i will have a new batch of them and i will list it again on ebay.
Also i have ordered a usb to parallel port adapter, and try if it works with that too,i will inform as soon as i test it!

I also forgot to mention that with the new versions you can try the program on windows 8 too!
Old 03 April 2013, 20:24   #66
Hoopz

woohoo! thanks ikonsgr!
Old 03 April 2013, 21:47   #67
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonsgr View Post
Also i have ordered a usb to parallel port adapter, and try if it works with that too,i will inform as soon as i test it!
I think I'd like one of those to hook up my parallel port printer to my PC's USB port. Apparently, the printer can't tell it's not connected to the PC's parallel port and Windows can't tell it's not connected to a USB printer.*

Did you get it on eBay, or do you plan to make them available on there yourself?

* I read that online recently, but I can't remember where...
Old 04 April 2013, 11:11   #68
ikonsgr

Actually, i got a cheap one from ebay (~3euros). To make something like this by yourself requires MUCH time and effort, and so the final cost would be many times the... "3 euros", and in the end, you dont know if it will work at all!
Old 04 April 2013, 12:35   #69
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

AFAIK USB to parallel cables don't work for anything else than a Printer because the driver only makes a pseudo printer port based on USB so no LPT1.
Old 04 April 2013, 21:35   #70
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
I think I'd like one of those to hook up my parallel port printer to my PC's USB port. Apparently, the printer can't tell it's not connected to the PC's parallel port and Windows can't tell it's not connected to a USB printer.*

* I read that online recently, but I can't remember where...
I've now found it in this thread here: Printer Questions

and this post in particular:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymru View Post
Check out this web site: http://www.lpt2usb.net/

The cost is now down to $69 USD and it works with the Amiga fine. The Amiga never knows it is not printing to a parallel printer, and the USB printer has no idea it is receiving data from anything other than a USB port.
...but I've now realized it does exactly the opposite of what I want to do.

Last edited by prowler; 04 April 2013 at 21:46.
Old 06 April 2013, 12:49   #71
ikonsgr

Well maybe this is the solution for "laptop only" users: Combine 2 adaptors that Cymru shows (on the amiga and pc side) and between them use a usb cable!
Only problem, total cost for this is way "too much" for just getting an "amiga connectable" parallel port to your laptop, don't you think?
And still ,we don't know for sure if that will work with the paradise utility!

Last edited by ikonsgr; 06 April 2013 at 12:54.
Old 06 April 2013, 13:04   #72
ikonsgr

I just take a look to the "printer questions" thread,if what cymru states its true, that these cheap usb to parallel adapters provide "one way connection" only (from pc to amiga in our case) then the adapter probably will not work.
Paradise uses asynchronous connection between pc and amiga, meaning that when a packet is received from pc, amiga side program sends an: "ok, send another" signal back to pc. The opposite is done when you transfer from amiga to pc. So,it definitely requires 2 way connection.
Old 07 April 2013, 19:12   #73
kipper2k

Not sure how many. Wires needed for cable if less than nine then we could use 2 x 25 pin connectors with a rj45 connector. That way can use custom length network cables of any length and they can be twisted pair to help transmission. Ii'd tryy but out of town
Old 12 April 2013, 06:03   #74
Cymru

Fastest,Easiest,Cheapest way to transfer adf images between PC and Amiga(mostly

The LPT2USB device is hardware limited in bidirectional communications to printer specific data. So two of them connected together would not work.

The USB to parallel cable is software driven and different software comes with different cables with some being design specific. You could search for one that is meant to communicate with parallel scanners, EPROM programmers, ZIP drives and the like.
Old 12 April 2013, 21:03   #75
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonsgr View Post
Paradise uses asynchronous connection between pc and amiga, meaning that when a packet is received from pc, amiga side program sends an: "ok, send another" signal back to pc. The opposite is done when you transfer from amiga to pc. So,it definitely requires 2 way connection.
Would be extreme, but you "could" pull the "OK" signal from serial??
So you actually have the Amiga hooked up via serial AND parallel.
Parallel for sending the image to the Amiga, and serial for the Amiga to talk to the PC (for the ACKs).

A bit extreme, but as serial USB adapters and cables are cheap, might still be cheaper than other options.

Of course, Paradise would have to be re-written to use both serial and parallel. Not impossible, but not trivial..

desiv
Old 13 April 2013, 01:45   #76
Cymru

Fastest,Easiest,Cheapest way to transfer adf images between PC and Amiga(mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
Not sure how many. Wires needed for cable if less than nine then we could use 2 x 25 pin connectors with a rj45 connector. That way can use custom length network cables of any length and they can be twisted pair to help transmission. Ii'd tryy but out of town
The parallel interface is 8-bits wide, so you would need a common ground, a send/receive "ok" line and perhaps 1 or 2 more. Definitely should be possible with a 15-pin connection, but without multiplexing the pins (which would add two wait states), the 9-pin would not work. You could easily program an Arduino to translate USB to parallel if one wanted to go that route.
Old 23 May 2013, 06:52   #77
haywire

I purchased Ikonsgr kit a few months back, all I can say is its awesome
Unfortunatlly my boot disk got corrupted a month into using (somehow) and couldnt use adf_transfer anymore.

Luckily Ikonsgr was great in sending over another disk - all the way to Australia. I have now immediatlly backed up x5 copies lol and stored away. I didnt need the extra Parallel Card as works in old board I have that I built for this purpose.

Old 23 May 2013, 23:24   #78
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywire View Post
I didnt need the extra Parallel Card as works in old board I have that I built for this purpose.
I didn't need the parallel card when I bought mine either, but a spare is useful nonetheless.
Old 31 May 2013, 20:27   #79
ikonsgr

I also confirmed (as expected...) that the kit doesn't work using the cheap usb to parallel adapter.
So all you "laptop only" funs,the only way to use the kit is to...
GET A DESKTOP PC (or maybe "dig up" an old one)!
Old 08 June 2013, 18:38   #80
znapperhead

Usb

Hi. with the null modem cable kit; would some sort of usb to parallel port adapter work?