English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 08 June 2013, 18:47   #81
znapperhead

guys... if i have an external 3,5 disk drive for the Amiga 500 (with a parallell port), can I copy an ADF image from PC to the disk, and then insert the disk to the AMiga?

Old 08 June 2013, 19:12   #82
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by znapperhead View Post
guys... if i have an external 3,5 disk drive for the Amiga 500 (with a parallell port), can I copy an ADF image from PC to the disk, and then insert the disk to the AMiga?
No... as pc cannot manage Amiga disks via its floppy controller.
Old 09 June 2013, 11:33   #83
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by znapperhead View Post
Hi. with the null modem cable kit; would some sort of usb to parallel port adapter work?
No, as they do not look like real parallel ports to the software.
Old 23 October 2013, 10:42   #84
ikonsgr

I just "discover" something that might be a cheap solution for all you "laptop lovers" that don't have a desktop pc, and want to use the adf transfer kit:
These pcmcia to parallel port cards
They claim that this offers a TRUE parallel port and they are rather cheap too!

Does anyone know if this kind of adapter really offers a real bidirectional parallel port (you will probably know this, if you tried to connect any device other than common printers)
Old 24 October 2013, 00:44   #85
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonsgr View Post
I just "discover" something that might be a cheap solution for all you "laptop lovers" that don't have a desktop pc, and want to use the adf transfer kit:
These pcmcia to parallel port cards
They claim that this offers a TRUE parallel port and they are rather cheap too!

Does anyone know if this kind of adapter really offers a real bidirectional parallel port (you will probably know this, if you tried to connect any device other than common printers)
Wow they have certainly come down in price since I last checked. I know a friend who bought one and his worked bi directional but supported EPP/ECP too. These supposedly work as real parallel ports rather than adaptors like usb to parallel.
Old 19 November 2013, 19:43   #86
ikonsgr

[UPDATE]

I just upload a new improved version of the boot disk.
I use the reorg utility to optimize the boot disk, so now you will only need ~7 sec to boot for PC->AMIGA transfers (previous was ~10 seconds) , and less than 20 sec (previous was ~25 sec) for AMIGA->PC transfers!
You can find the new boot disk here (i also put it inside the 32bit and 64bi versions of the adf transfer program folders, so anyone who downloads them will get the new boot disk inside "usefull adf images" sub folder)
Old 19 November 2013, 20:48   #87
prowler
Global Moderator

Your continued support is very much appreciated, ikonsgr!
Old 18 April 2014, 18:15   #88
ikonsgr

[UPDATE]

I just upload a new alternative version of the boot disk, named "Boot_df1.adf". As you can probably figure out by the name, you can use this boot disk, to make all transfers using the second external drive, instead of the internal!
By doing so, you can leave permenantly the boot disk on internal drive, and change disks on external drive, so whenever a problem occurs you just reset amiga without needing to insert the boot disk again!

Also,i had some minor bugs fixed in both 32bit and 64bit versions of adf transfer program:
- Choosing a read only adf image to transfer, doesn't cause "sticking" on copying this same image. So no need to manually delete the "temp.adf" file anymore (the workaround used so far)
- No need to restart application to change i/o address of parallel port. This might also fix some issues regarding the configuration file of dosbox being "read only"

As always, you can find the new boot disk and versions of the program here.
Old 19 April 2014, 01:20   #89
prowler
Global Moderator

Once more, we are indebted to you, mate!
Old 20 April 2014, 00:12   #90
lesta_smsc

Nice update! Thank you. Might it be a good idea to upload to ftp or zone?...
Old 29 April 2014, 12:22   #91
ikonsgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Nice update! Thank you. Might it be a good idea to upload to ftp or zone?...
Program is freeware. You are free to upload it where ever you want!
Old 20 October 2014, 16:18   #92
cabal

I tried this on a A500 with only 512 kb and it doesnt work, it tries to copy the whole disk image to RAM and off course runs out of RAM.

It seems this statement is wrong then: "paradise can transfer disks even on an ancient AMIGA 1000 with 256k RAM , as it does not copy hole disk to ram but only 4 sectors at a time e.g. only 44kb ram needed." or maybe paradise can but the transfer program provided uses different settings......
Old 27 October 2014, 02:02   #93
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabal View Post
I tried this on a A500 with only 512 kb and it doesnt work, it tries to copy the whole disk image to RAM and off course runs out of RAM.

It seems this statement is wrong then: "paradise can transfer disks even on an ancient AMIGA 1000 with 256k RAM , as it does not copy hole disk to ram but only 4 sectors at a time e.g. only 44kb ram needed." or maybe paradise can but the transfer program provided uses different settings......
I know there were some different versions utilising different amounts of RAM?...
Old 03 November 2014, 14:27   #94
cabal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
I know there were some different versions utilising different amounts of RAM?...

Different versions of what?
Old 25 January 2015, 00:22   #95
ikonsgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabal View Post

I can assure you that the program runs perfectly on a 512k amiga because that's how i'm using it myself! Moreover,i had some feedback from a couple of guys that tried it even on amiga 1000 with only 256k ram and it still worked fine!
Now about your problem, try to disable/remove any addon hardware you might have or any external drives. Sometimes paradise utility is confused by these and tries to copy adf image to ram instead of disk.
Old 28 January 2015, 17:33   #96
Zippy Zapp

Hey just saw this thread, this is great, thank you!

Does it matter what mode the Parallel port is set to on the PC in the BIOS? Most older PCs from 95/98 era have settings for EPP and ECP or plain old parallel port (Compatibility). I would assume standard setting but I do know that EPP and ECP modes are faster transfer speeds..

Thanks for all the work! I have plenty of old printer cables lying around that I could modify for this.
Old 01 February 2015, 14:37   #97
ikonsgr

According to the manual of paradise utility,it can work even with a standard SPP port.
Old 02 March 2015, 01:43   #98
lesta_smsc

Would a standard laplink/null modem parallel cable work for this as I have one of those lying around... don't want to try it in case I short-circuit the ports!
Old 05 April 2015, 19:24   #99
ikonsgr

No it will not work, and don't try it! If you want, you can find directions of making the cable at the begin of this thread.
Old 06 April 2015, 00:02   #100
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonsgr View Post
No it will not work, and don't try it! If you want, you can find directions of making the cable at the begin of this thread.
What about this? ... it says can be used for Amiga:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3103964807...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT