English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 05 July 2014, 15:40   #101
ptyerman

I don't see or hear of you doing anything about it? Except pulling others down.
Give the lad a break, he's trying to bring something to light that will benefit everyone whom wants it and his enthusiasm overflows at times, so what?
It's only hardware after all, if it happens and appears, great. If it doesn't, then that's nothing new in Amiga land. At least someone is trying, and if it appears, I will buy it and support it.
Old 05 July 2014, 16:27   #102
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by skan View Post
Joke of the century.

Quick! Wear your tinfoil hat!
Again such a joker...
Old 05 July 2014, 16:39   #103
tolkien
AmigaMan

I will never understand why people can be against people that want to do things for our machine. Really...Are we crazy? Let people do whatever they want, be supportive, we dont lost anything believing. I know we have enough broken promises but I am not died so always will try again.
Old 05 July 2014, 17:19   #104
Hewitson

I don't agree with the goals of his project, but I can clearly see why he is frustrated and I hardly think that calling it a "shitty community" warrants a ban, as much as I disagree with the comment.
Old 05 July 2014, 17:25   #105
NorthWay

Gunnar & Co:
A cpu+memory expansion would be a wonderful thing. I think it would sell no matter what if you had gfx and network going or not. The Amiga crowd left would probably jump at the opportunity to have the fastest ever machine. IMO it should be at least 100% 020 compatible, and it would be a real big boost for you if it was 040 with MMU.
The only question is how big the current market is, and if any customers would feel "cheated" if you later did an NG-Amiga-on-a-chip (a la SOCKIT).

As it is, I am still waiting for FPGAArcade to materialize, and still hope it will. And IMO an NG solution should carry over all the legacy connections, including floppy, so I'm not 'all there' about the SOCKIT, though as always if "the price is right" I'd probably get it anyway, just because.

Last edited by NorthWay; 05 July 2014 at 17:38.
Old 05 July 2014, 17:26   #106
ptyerman

I agree. It seems all some folk want to do is moan and diss on others. Really, if they're that full of negativity I don't see why they even bother reading these threads, never mind posting in them. They want to go to amiga.org if all they want to do is spout crap towards people.
Old 05 July 2014, 19:17   #107
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
I like that, very true

We are already in a pretty good place, considering all that's happened in Amiga land over the years is a minor miracle that people are still using their Classics and posting on this board

I think the best thing for the Classic scene would be new hardware upgrades. That can cover things like scan-doublers, higher-speed HD controllers and (compatible) accelerators. The two most important things any new hardware needs is, ongoing manufacturer support (drivers and config tools) and a low price.

As the old Classic motherboards get too old (or too rare) it would be nice if you could buy a complete drop-in FPGA based replacement motherboard, but again..it has to be an affordable price (effectively a scaled-up MiniMig).

Another thing that would help the 'scene' would be if AROS 68k was developed to a stage where it was actually better (eg faster/less bugs/more features) that using OS 3.x
I agree with that.

Gunnar's original post - interesting but like a lot of these exotic visions of new hardware/OS4 - you require money, money and then more money. I guess anything is possible if you had a team of part-time/highly skilled individuals (as hobbyist).
Old 05 July 2014, 19:23   #108
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Quote:
Originally Posted by modrobert View Post
It started to go downhill after OP decided to piss against the wind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skan View Post
Joke of the century.

Quick! Wear your tinfoil hat!
And this is where we should see some moderation. BEFORE situation escalates. It's not really fair to allow the slingfest, and then exercise the rules after the reaction has been provoked.

If we expect decency we should expect it from everyone.

Please people, if you can not be positive, or have no interest in some (any) project. Just walk by.
Old 05 July 2014, 19:49   #109
modrobert
old bearded fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolkien View Post
I will never understand why people can be against people that want to do things for our machine. Really...Are we crazy? Let people do whatever they want, be supportive, we dont lost anything believing. I know we have enough broken promises but I am not died so always will try again.
I like the project so far, been following the forum threads with interest. What pissed people off was Gunnar's "shitty community" remark, including me.

Should we just bend over and take that? I think not.

After the ban is over an apology is in order.
Old 05 July 2014, 19:54   #110
kipper2k

thread needs to remain on topic
Old 05 July 2014, 20:22   #111
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Same old people same old rubbish
Old 05 July 2014, 20:59   #112
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I don't agree with the goals of his project, but I can clearly see why he is frustrated and I hardly think that calling it a "shitty community" warrants a ban, as much as I disagree with the comment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by modrobert View Post
I like the project so far, been following the forum threads with interest. What pissed people off was Gunnar's "shitty community" remark, including me.

Should we just bend over and take that? I think not.

After the ban is over an apology is in order.
Thanks for all the views expressed in this thread. Gunnar clearly has much to chew over during the next week.

Everyone who contributed to this thread needs to understand that in a thread designed to gauge the honest opinions of our members, it is not acceptable behaviour to then confront them, dismissing their comments and go on to make derogatory remarks concerning the whole Amiga community, and it is for that which Gunnar has been justifiably banned.