Originally Posted by adonay View Post
Very interesting game play
Glad you appreciate that
Old 12 March 2018, 21:28   #63
saimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I got really excited and then realized this isn't a new classic Amiga game
Nope, there's no way something like this could run on a classic Amiga.

(Regarding classic Amigas, I hope life will let me finish this other game).
Old 12 March 2018, 22:31   #64
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
I got really excited and then realized this isn't a new classic Amiga game
Oh no, that's me out too
Old 13 March 2018, 02:29   #65
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimo View Post
Nope, there's no way something like this could run on a classic Amiga.
Maybe not as you planned it on NG, but using some tricks you might have a similar experience imo; i remember Rotox and Bob's Bad day [ok rotox was indeed not the most optimized game around i know but has similar gameplay]
Old 13 March 2018, 06:27   #66
klx300r

Thumbs up

@ saimo

AMAZING !!!thanks so much for all the work & dedication you put into all your programs/ games made for our beloved Amiga & C64
Old 13 March 2018, 08:08   #67
saimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Maybe not as you planned it on NG, but using some tricks you might have a similar experience imo; i remember Rotox and Bob's Bad day [ok rotox was indeed not the most optimized game around i know but has similar gameplay]
Real-time full screen (interpolated) rotation, field of vision (lots of ray casting), source of lights (more ray casting), enviromental lighting, field of sound, etc. are simply a no go. The game engine would need to be heavily simplified, to the point that the end result would look much different. Anyway, I'm simply not interested in remaking BOH (or any other game): it's boring
Old 13 March 2018, 08:08   #68
saimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
@ saimo

AMAZING !!!thanks so much for all the work & dedication you put into all your programs/ games made for our beloved Amiga & C64
My pleasure, and thanks for the support!
Old 13 March 2018, 15:47   #69
Amiga1992

Yeah I can understand that you don't want to do it, but I just need to remark the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimo View Post
Real-time full screen (interpolated) rotation, field of vision (lots of ray casting), source of lights (more ray casting), enviromental lighting, field of sound, etc. are simply a no go.
And none of those are gameplay elements.
Quote:
The game engine would need to be heavily simplified, to the point that the end result would look much different.
And that's not a problem!

There's a trillion "demakes" that work just great, nobody wanting to do one should be demotivated by tings "not looking the same". Games are not all about looks (except Shadow Of The Beast, but that was a shit game underneath )
Old 13 March 2018, 16:14   #70
saimo

Quote:
Yeah I can understand that you don't want to do it, but I just need to remark the following:
Quote:
Real-time full screen (interpolated) rotation, field of vision (lots of ray casting), source of lights (more ray casting), enviromental lighting, field of sound, etc. are simply a no go.
And none of those are gameplay elements.
Wrong: it's the engine that gives the gameplay its fundamental feel, that makes it so immersive, that makes it so special.

Quote:
There's a trillion "demakes" that work just great, nobody wanting to do one should be demotivated by tings "not looking the same". Games are not all about looks (except Shadow Of The Beast, but that was a shit game underneath )
I do know about demakes, but the above doesn'y apply to BOH.
Anyway, I'm not interested in making a demake (neither of BOH, nor of anything else).
Old 13 March 2018, 16:20   #71
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

@saimo : Akira is an "extremist vanillian" (classic Amiga, no add-on, etc.) but, and even if I never met him, a nice guy
Reading various post in EAB, you will learn to know him
Old 13 March 2018, 16:36   #72
saimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
@saimo : Akira is an "extremist vanillian" (classic Amiga, no add-on, etc.) but, and even if I never met him, a nice guy
Reading various post in EAB, you will learn to know him
No problem with him here
Old 13 March 2018, 17:25   #73
utri007
mä vaan

I decided to buy this but, (not yet) I can' see price of amiga version? It only say that I can get Access to Windows, Linux and Apple versions of game??

Quote:
In order to download this game you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $5.99 USD. You will get access to the following files:
Old 13 March 2018, 17:32   #74
saimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
I decided to buy this but, (not yet) I can' see price of amiga version? It only say that I can get Access to Windows, Linux and Apple versions of game??
First of all, thank you

No worries, you get access to *all* the versions. The problem is that itch.io only knows the platforms you mentioned (plus Android), so it doesn't mention other platforms. However, if you scroll to the bottom of the page, you see all the downloads that you'll get access to:

Old 13 March 2018, 18:13   #75
utri007
mä vaan

Saimo : you have now one customer more.
Old 13 March 2018, 18:31   #76
saimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
Saimo : you have now one customer more.
Wonderful! Thanks and enjoy!
Old 15 March 2018, 16:49   #77
saimo

ADDITIONAL GOOD NEWS!

You see, there was a plan to produce physical copies of BOH ADVANCE and a special Deluxe Box that included both BOH ADVANCE and the original BOH.

The idea was to start a Kickstarter campaign on the day of the release of BOH ADVANCE. And that actually happened. However, the very first pledge made it clear that I had misunderstood the way Kickstarter handles shipping fees (I had assumed they worked the obvious/logical way, but they don't). Therefore, I cancelled the campaign a few minutes after it went live.
Moreover, Kickstarter doesn't just offer a reasonable way to handle a wide variety of fees (to ensure that everybody in the world pays only the minimum necessary), so making a new campaign was ruled out.

Initially, the whole project was cancelled. But it would have been a real pity, so I resumed it under a different approach: a limited amount of copies will be produced beforehand, without pledges or preordering! Who wants one, will simply be able to get if from the itch.io store (https://retream.itch.io/boh).
The objective is still to offer a quality product at the lowest price possible - i.e. about 10 euros for the Deluxe Box containing a copy of BOH ADVANCE + a copy of the original BOH (shipping excluded).

This is the Kickstarter campaign video - of course, some things are no longer valid, but it gives a good idea about the project:

[ Show youtube player ]

For the really curious ones, this is the page of the campaign: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/saimo/boh-advance.

Watch this space for further updates.

Last edited by saimo; 15 March 2018 at 17:29.
Old 11 May 2018, 16:30   #78
saimo

Hi all,

the project continued and I've also given another game of mine, called Huenison, a similar treatment.

This is the new edition of BOH (click on the pictures to see them in full size):

Features:
* latest version of BOH for AmigaOS 4, AROS, Linux, MacOS, and Windows (as released digitally a few months ago);
* Enhanced CD that be used also to listen to the soundtrack on an audio CD player;
* CD with outstanding glossy finish;
* hugely improved user's manual and developer's manual;
* brand-new artwork;
* transparent DVD case;
* double-sided inlay.

BOH ADVANCE is part of a Deluxe package that looks like this:

Then, there's Huenison. The physical release had been put aside, but I felt that this was an appropriate time to finally make it happen: releasing it together with BOH Deluxe allows people to get both in one go and thus save on shipping expenses.
This is the package:

Features:
* latest version of Huenison for AmigaOS 4 and Windows (as released digitally a few months ago);
* Enhanced CD that be used also to listen to the soundtrack on an audio CD player;
* CD with outstanding glossy finish;
* hugely improved manual;
* improved artwork;
* transparent DVD case;
* double-sided inlay.

The orders have just been opened:

If you have questions, I'll be happy to answer

Last edited by saimo; 14 May 2018 at 11:44.
Old 12 May 2018, 18:25   #79
klx300r

Thumbs up

they look great! count me in for both copies
Old 21 November 2019, 12:35   #80
saimo

I published BOH in 2009, and in the (more than) 10 years that passed since then, I released 19 free updates, because I just couldn't resist making it better and bettter. The physical edition I produced in 2018 was supposed to close the game's development cycle, but I felt that I just had to backport to BOH the video system features/improvements that I came up with for Blastaway. The result is that now I have made the 20th update available (again for free, of course)!

CHANGELOG
* Simplified and optimized CRT pixel modes.
* Made 4x LCD pixel mode slightly brighter.
* Added 6x pixel modes.
* Added hardware-accelerated zooming for solid pixel modes to AmigaOS version.
* Added Italian brief to mission "Faces".
* Made a few minor fixes.
* Updated manual.

BOH page: https://www.retream.com/BOH
Trailer

[ Show youtube player ]
(very old, so it doesn't show all the improvements that happened since it was made, but instead of spending time on making another trailer, I prefer making more games!)

Gameplay video

[ Show youtube player ]
(more recent, but still it misses something)

To update an installed copy of BOH, simply install the new version over the old installation by means of the supplied installer.

Even more good news for the owners of the physical edition: due to the very limited production runs, the CDs were duplicated (i.e. burned), not replicated (i.e. glass mastered), and the factory was asked to leave the CDs open to make them updateable in case of future updates! The CDs can updated by burning a new session/track that contains the files included in the new CD ISO image.

*** WARNING ***
Updating a CD is a delicate process that might damage the CD, so it is necessary to have specific skills and tools. If you are not completely sure, do not attempt the update. IN ANY CASE, UPDATE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

To moderators: before posting this, unfortunately I started a new thread with the same contents because I didn't remember about this thread; please delete the other one; sorry for the inconvenience and thanks.