English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 23 June 2014, 00:27   #1
Wiffleplop
Cute but not bright

Exclamation Indivision AGA Mk2 slow boot & interference

I took delivery of my new Indivision AGA Mk2 the other day, and decided to install it this afternoon. I installed the card, which went very well, mounting quickly and easily over the Lisa chip, and then cut a slot into the accessory door in the rear for the DVI port, with a section cut out of the RF shield for the cables to pass through, protected of course with tape set around all the sharp edges.

I plugged in a screen, and after quite a long delay, I got a fuzzy Indivision logo, and a please insert Workbench screen asking me to put in a disk. I'd forgotten to plug in the CF HDD, so put in a Workbench floppy instead. Nothing. No disk activity light, no cover being drawn back noise, so I checked my installation of the floppy etc. To find it was all good, but I had a bent pin on the internal IDE connector, which I'll have to repair as it was bent square down and snapped off when I tried to straighten it (not looking forward to that)

So - has anyone had this issue before, and where can I get a new IDE connector? I'm UK based.

TIA

Mike.

Last edited by Wiffleplop; 24 June 2014 at 22:54.
Old 23 June 2014, 16:52   #2
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiffleplop View Post
I took delivery of my new Indivision AGA Mk2 the other day, and decided to install it this afternoon. I installed the card, which went very well, mounting quickly and easily over the Lisa chip, and then cut a slot into the accessory door in the rear for the DVI port, with a section cut out of the RF shield for the cables to pass through, protected of course with tape set around all the sharp edges.

I plugged in a screen, and after quite a long delay, I got a fuzzy Indivision logo, and a please insert Workbench screen asking me to put in a disk. I'd forgotten to plug in the CF HDD, so put in a Workbench floppy instead. Nothing. No disk activity light, no cover being drawn back noise, so I checked my installation of the floppy etc. To find it was all good, but I had a bent pin on the internal IDE connector, which I'll have to repair as it was bent square down and snapped off when I tried to straighten it (not looking forward to that)

So - has anyone had this issue before, and where can I get a new IDE connector? I'm UK based.

TIA

Mike.

Does the floppy make the click noise without a disk?
Old 23 June 2014, 17:19   #3
Wiffleplop
Cute but not bright

Not a dicky-bird The FDD light stays on constantly too.
Old 23 June 2014, 18:21   #4
Wiffleplop
Cute but not bright

I'm the idiot with regard to the FDD not working - I'd got the cables the wrong way round. It just goes to show that no matter how long you've been working on computers and PCs, you should always check your work.

I'm speaking to Vesalia about the interference on the screen and the ghosting on the images. Very good customer support so far
Old 24 June 2014, 11:09   #5
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
I'm the idiot with regard to the FDD not working - I'd got the cables the wrong way round. It just goes to show that no matter how long you've been working on computers and PCs, you should always check your work.

I'm speaking to Vesalia about the interference on the screen and the ghosting on the images. Very good customer support so far
If you are using VGA, you should disable the DVI output in all modes after you have installed the software. This should take care of 90% of the noise.
Old 24 June 2014, 11:42   #6
Wiffleplop
Cute but not bright

Thanks for that tid-bit. I'm still talking to Guido @ Vesalia and he's mentioned the grounding wire, which I thought was only for a tower installation. He's probably also thinking I'm pretty dim by now after the cable debacle
Old 24 June 2014, 11:55   #7
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
I would lose the top RF shield completely. It serves no purpose other than a shorting / cutting / airflow reducing risk.
Old 24 June 2014, 12:08   #8
Wiffleplop
Cute but not bright

I've read that leaving off the RF shielding can lead to instability - is that not true then?

I do need to cut a chunk out of it to accomodate the Indivision board later, but I was planning on keeping it mostly intact.
Old 24 June 2014, 13:11   #9
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
I've read that leaving off the RF shielding can lead to instability - is that not true then?

I do need to cut a chunk out of it to accomodate the Indivision board later, but I was planning on keeping it mostly intact.
Most people just discard it completely without any issues. Some Amigas are even born without this shield, like most A600s. If you have a tendency to leave your mobile phone lying on top of the Amiga, it might influence the stability..